PDA

View Full Version : As I'm A Technical Numpty...............

MrDoodles
26th October 2012, 19:51
........can someone explain the difference between Trafficmaster and TMC? :shrug:

kaiser
26th October 2012, 19:55
........can someone explain the difference between Trafficmaster and TMC? :shrug:

Yes, TMC has only got three letters in it, the other a heleluwa lot more.:o

MrDoodles
26th October 2012, 19:55
Yes, TMC has only got three letters in it, the other a heleluwa lot more.:o

Thanks! :D

trebor
26th October 2012, 19:59
No doubt he would say you are welcome !

TM is surely just an advance warning of traffic problems ahead transmitted to the IPK and thats that

Whereas TMC is transmitted via the Radio and will give more detailed information to the driver

Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is a technology for delivering traffic and travel information to drivers. It is typically digitally coded using the FM-RDS system on conventional FM radio broadcasts. It can also be transmitted on DAB or satellite radio. It allows silent delivery of dynamic information suitable for reproduction or display in the language chosen by the user and without interrupting normal audio broadcast services. Services, both public and commercial, are now operational in many countries worldwide. When data is integrated directly into a navigation system, traffic information can be used in the system's route calculation and the driver can have the option to take alternative routes to avoid traffic incidents.

MrDoodles
26th October 2012, 20:02
Thanks Rob! :)

So a quick follow up question then! ;)

Do cars equipped with High-line have TMC as standard, or do you have to up-grade to the later 16:9 BMW system to get it? :shrug:

kaiser
26th October 2012, 20:11
Talking about radio, only, here is what I am listening to at the moment:

http://www.mixfm.co.za/Streaming/Streaming_Frame.htm

fab station, unusually good music,;) usually!

HarryM1BYT
26th October 2012, 20:23
Thanks Rob! :)

So a quick follow up question then! ;)

Do cars equipped with High-line have TMC as standard, or do you have to up-grade to the later 16:9 BMW system to get it? :shrug:

They do, but it depends upon having the correct TMC CD in the unit. Some versions of the mapping CD had TMC, some did not.

MrDoodles
26th October 2012, 20:30
They do, but it depends upon having the correct TMC CD in the unit. Some versions of the mapping CD had TMC, some did not.

Thanks Harry!

Is it still possible to get up-grade discs for the system then?

HarryM1BYT
26th October 2012, 20:37
Thanks Harry!

Is it still possible to get up-grade discs for the system then?

I believe so, but only up to a certain date and I think I am correct in saying that the most recent one lacked the TMC.

MrDoodles
26th October 2012, 20:41
I believe so, but only up to a certain date and I think I am correct in saying that the most recent one lacked the TMC.

Thanks Harry!

Simondi
26th October 2012, 22:35

Thanksfor asking this as I have been trying to work this out for the past week:getmecoat:

stocktake
26th October 2012, 22:39
The Mk2 sat nav will NOT run TMC it causes the system to freeze.
The Mk3 will run TMC from the (correct) cd and the Mk4 from the correct DVD :)

Phil-T4
26th October 2012, 23:06
Which was the last CD to have TMC? i know the 2008 one did but as its been said before the 2012 doesn't.

SD1too
27th October 2012, 08:19
TM is surely just an advance warning of traffic problems ahead transmitted to the IPK ...
Trafficmaster is a brand name.

Simon.

HarryM1BYT
27th October 2012, 08:38
Which was the last CD to have TMC? i know the 2008 one did but as its been said before the 2012 doesn't.

When I had my MK 3, I found it would successfully work with with copies of my original map CD's. One had the TMC one did not. I was wondering at the time if it might be possible to copy the TMC files from the TMC cd to no TMC cd. I didn't get around to testing it, because my DD arrived.

Another problem with the Hi-Line and TMC was that the radio had to be tuned to a TMC FM station, or no TMC could be received.