PDA

View Full Version : Alcantara steering wheels

CDTi Auto
11th December 2007, 15:06
Hi,

My ZT black leather steering wheel is looking a bit too "shiny" at 90k miles now and I was thinking about getting it retrimmed in grey alcantara to match the centre panels in the seats and maybe the gear lever top too - making it all much more touchy feeling but only with decent OEM spec material so it didn't wear out in 2 weeks. Obviously other colours/materials could be ordered.

Would anyone else be interested in this as I used to work for Land Rover Special Vehicles and I am on good terms with the leather trimming company that we sent all the parts to for Autobiography retrimming, so you can expect 100% quality work by an OEM tier one supplier with the necessary ISO9001 quality standards etc...

Cheers

Departed
11th December 2007, 18:51
I almost worked for SVO as well, but someone else got the job.

Used to do a fair bit of work on the electrical side anyway, so knew a few people down there. What sort of year where you there?

If your in touch with the suppliers, I'm looking to get a small bit of hide, to see how feasible it would be to make some gear leaver handbrake gaiters. Main thing is I want to find out if my sewing machine is up to sewing hide; it's a good, old model Singer so is quite strong, but I don't want to splash out on a hide unless I'm going to be able to sew it. Just a couple of craps of fairly thin stuff would be fine, though enough to actually make something would be nice.

Ref your Alcantara, I'm sure it would look good, but might pick up dirt rather too quickly.

apywell
11th December 2007, 19:18
Hi,

My ZT black leather steering wheel is looking a bit too "shiny" at 90k miles now and I was thinking about getting it retrimmed in grey alcantara to match the centre panels in the seats and maybe the gear lever top too - making it all much more touchy feeling but only with decent OEM spec material so it didn't wear out in 2 weeks. Obviously other colours/materials could be ordered.

Would anyone else be interested in this as I used to work for Land Rover Special Vehicles and I am on good terms with the leather trimming company that we sent all the parts to for Autobiography retrimming, so you can expect 100% quality work by an OEM tier one supplier with the necessary ISO9001 quality standards etc...

Cheers
I have the same problem, as mine is over 90k too. I had a look at the covers you can get at Halfords the other week.... bit on the nasty side. However it would all depend on the price of course. Mine would be in sandstone beige..... How long would it take to do.... i need the car almost every day... cant go far without the steering wheel..:beer2:

Departed
11th December 2007, 19:31
I have a sandstone beige wheel you could have and get re-covered, then swap out with yours. It's got wear on the leather so needs re-covering but otherwise is OK.

Might even consider getting mine done too, if the price isn't too bad and other plans don't come off.

CDTi Auto
11th December 2007, 19:50
I have the same problem, as mine is over 90k too. I had a look at the covers you can get at Halfords the other week.... bit on the nasty side. However it would all depend on the price of course. Mine would be in sandstone beige..... How long would it take to do.... i need the car almost every day... cant go far without the steering wheel..:beer2:

This did cross my mind, as I too also use my ZT daily. I thought of either starting a collection of "slave" steering wheels to cover, then use yours on an exchange basis (provided base colours of the wheel match etc) - or send you the slave, then you send me your wheel, it gets covered and sent back and you send me the slave back. Obviously a bit fiddly but would work in the end once the system gets going.

Halfords = just wrong! ;)

I'm waiting for a call back from one supplier but from memory, they used to be able to turn them around in 48hrs.

Cheers

Dave Goody
11th December 2007, 20:03

Used to do a fair bit of work on the electrical side anyway, so knew a few people down there. What sort of year where you there?

If your in touch with the suppliers, I'm looking to get a small bit of hide, to see how feasible it would be to make some gear leaver handbrake gaiters. Main thing is I want to find out if my sewing machine is up to sewing hide; it's a good, old model Singer so is quite strong, but I don't want to splash out on a hide unless I'm going to be able to sew it. Just a couple of craps of fairly thin stuff would be fine, though enough to actually make something would be nice.

Ref your Alcantara, I'm sure it would look good, but might pick up dirt rather too quickly.

How would you like these sent? polythene bag perhaps:D:D:D

Departed
11th December 2007, 20:14
How would you like these sent? polythene bag perhaps:D:D:D

There's always one.

But why is it always me who's got tinger frouble?

CDTi Auto
12th December 2007, 09:31

I was there a couple of years ago, until I came back to London. One of the electrical guys there I knew was Nigel someone... can't bring his surname to mind now but got on famously with him.

The main hide supplier we used at SVO was Vogl Leather. They only have one UK rep, a chap called Bob Toms, but I don't have a number. Maybe the Vogl website will get you in contact with him. I had a similar idea of giving the old woman something to do in the evenings with her sewing machine but found there are already a million and one gaiters for sale on ebay for literally pence, so unless you are planning on something special (like contrast stitching etc..) you might find it a non starter but let me know if you need any contacts to get you started.

Cheers