PDA

View Full Version : Hire car Feedback

capese21
1st November 2012, 18:23
Just had a hire car Vauxhall Insignia for 4 days. It was ok (actually it was rubbish)

Not comfortable the seat would not adjust low enough.

No power in third my foot was on the boards at times and not much happened.I think it was only a 1.8 but my previous R75 1.8 had more there.

Rear legroom with a tall driver was awful.

It all felt a bit flimsy and tinny to. Shutting the boot made a rattling sound which may have only been from the wiper jumping off the screen but still made it feel cheap.

My ZTT despite being worth nothing and 9 years old with 70k is a much nicer car all round. I will be keeping it for a bit longer!! How I wish they still made new ones:(

An Insignia was on my short list be my next car but no way now. Very disappointing.

4 days was enough:D

ProfDave
1st November 2012, 19:03
Just had a hire car Vauxhall Insignia for 4 days. It was ok (actually it was rubbish)

Not comfortable the seat would not adjust low enough.

No power in third my foot was on the boards at times and not much happened.I think it was only a 1.8 but my previous R75 1.8 had more there.

Rear legroom with a tall driver was awful.

It all felt a bit flimsy and tinny to. Shutting the boot made a rattling sound which may have only been from the wiper jumping off the screen but still made it feel cheap.

My ZTT despite being worth nothing and 7 years old with 70k is a much nicer car all round. I will be keeping it for a bit longer!! How I wish they still made new ones:(

An Insignia was on my short list be my next car but no way now. Very disappointing.

4 days was enough:D

agreed insignia is poor; in this class I actually think the Mondeo is pretty good; the other one which is what the Rovers probably should be is the Honda Accord (bit ugly but a great car). As a third potential choice the Mazda 6. Another great value car. But I shall be sticking with the 75 until its smoked

mamasboy
2nd November 2012, 13:10
Had an Audi a3 from Avis last week, was ok, nothing special and trim was very plastic but mpg was impressive, 58mpg over 250 miles

Plezier
3rd November 2012, 08:48
Hmmm I thought that plasticy trim was a standard feature in Audis :(

I got slated on one forum for asking why the cost so much, by Audi owners of course :rolleyes:, this was after driving the nephews A6. It's amazing what marketing hype can get away with.

ProfDave
3rd November 2012, 12:22
refined my thoughts over night; Mazda 6 with the 2.2 diesel engine; we have a 3 with the same one and its like a rocket but also economical. Good value too these (and unlike most of our german brethren will not end you up in the garage!)

Unclefista
3rd November 2012, 12:47
refined my thoughts over night; Mazda 6 with the 2.2 diesel engine; we have a 3 with the same one and its like a rocket but also economical. Good value too these (and unlike most of our german brethren will not end you up in the garage!)

Tell that to someone I know who just yesterday has has to give the go ahead to the garage to replace his crankshaft, piston rings, skim head etc.

The oil strainer in the sump blocks and causes oil starvation.

That was with oil changes done to the book...

He's annoyed (and skint) :)

topman
3rd November 2012, 12:52
I would imagine a 1.8 would be a bit underpowered in a car that big. A bigger lump might have been a better experience, mind you I had a Vectra as a hire car years ago couldn't get comfy and not very well laid out inside never could figure why they sold so well. Probably fleet sales.

Le Mans 190
3rd November 2012, 12:56
I have driven many petrol Insignia's and they have no go in them at all
however last year we brought a Auto diesel Vauxhall Insignia for my wife and it is a great car not had one problem with it so far and is good Caravan/Trailer puller :D

MangoMan
3rd November 2012, 13:09
I've only had hire cars in Spain & Portugal over the last 9 years, from a Ford Focus Estate, Renault Modus, Nissan Micra and a BMW 1.8d

The Focus was way the worst, very unstable at any speed over 70kph followed closely by the Micra, and it was the 'top-of-the-range' auto-everything! Just couldn't see the ends of the car, was so bad that my wife actually hit a kerb one night and destroyed a rim & tyre!
The best 2 were the Modus and the BMW - The Modus for around town, brilliant little, (well not little really) car in traffic, my favourite in town for sure. The Beemer was only good on the motorways, in town it was a real 'dog'! The amount of times I stalled it thinking that I could pull away from crawling in 2nd!!! No way! Plus it had the 'Stop-Start', had it turned off most of the time - just found it irritating. So surprisingly because of the sort of use we needed the Modus actually came out top.... Really like it.

Oh, and the BMW was a nightmare to reverse, even with parking sensors! The rear window is about the size on a Rover 75 Grill!!! :(

ProfDave
3rd November 2012, 17:59
Tell that to someone I know who just yesterday has has to give the go ahead to the garage to replace his crankshaft, piston rings, skim head etc.

The oil strainer in the sump blocks and causes oil starvation.

That was with oil changes done to the book...

He's annoyed (and skint) :)

V surprised there; no issues on ours and its piling on the miles. Was servicing at a Mazda agent? At what age and mileage??