PDA

View Full Version : Restore a 75 - Just an idea?

sikelsh
2nd November 2012, 09:37
Hi Yorkshire!

I don't know if this is a go'er or just a silly Friday idea.

But, do you think, collectively we could find a run down special car, perhaps a launch spec for a few hundred, keep it at a museum and then visit it to work on it?

I have been reading this website, at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum and it would seem some cars are privately owned and worked on there.

http://www.sytm.co.uk/html/vehicles.html

I don't know if the 75 is "classic" enough yet for this particular museum, but thought it could be something that could re-ignite the club house feeling that was Andys garage?

Perhaps Aero Venture would be up for it, I dunno.

Am I bonkers or does it have any legs? Would be nice to save one and perhaps use it at local events :shrug:

Legal Bit - This has no affiliation with the Owners Club or Endorsement and as such would not be the responsibility of the club, but of the members in the Yorkshire Region.

Feel free to rubbish the idea or throw ideas about.

Simon

andy willi
2nd November 2012, 09:42
good idea but I would save a zt as the club have ovp

just my Friday feeling

Andy

windrush
2nd November 2012, 10:29
Why not its a good idea

RPWC
2nd November 2012, 10:44
Sounds like a good plan,but what would your other halves say,considering the amount of time we already spend on our own cars.:shrug::getmecoat:
Like the idea though.

Departed 32016
2nd November 2012, 11:53
The 75 and zt aren't special enough YET
I've been thinking about if the cars will ever be special to more people than the selected few of us, especially with the banger thread popping up.

The only equivalent car I can compare it to is the 600 and they car is truely in banger territory.

Canonite
5th November 2012, 16:42
I like it. How many of us have found a car we'd have loved to buy as a project but found it to be too much work for one man.
As I suggested during 'the troubles' leading upto BBMs departure I feel a small collective of like minded enthusiasts form a kind of Preservation Society.

The problems I see are deciding on a worthy project, financing it and how to prevent the collapse of the goal of restoration without upsetting the balance of cost/reward.

Say for instance a member hits on hard times, loses interest in the marque and the restoration and wants to pull out but wants some form of recompense for his input?

There's quite a few things that could make it all go belly up, but for me, it's things like this that make cars classics. Peoples determination to put money and man hours into a project knowing they'll not get any return for their investment but do it anyway.
When a car or marque has that effect on people thats what make it special.