PDA

View Full Version : Just Been "Rustmastered"!

Teflon
4th December 2006, 16:00
Had my day out with the Rustmaster today.

Up early and over to his place by eight o'clock, eager to see what is in store. Once there, I declined Michaels kind ofer of a lift on to St Albans for the morning, and chose instead to watch the whole rustproofing process from beginning to end.

I must say that Michael is very thorough and methodical in his approach, as well as patient (having put up with endless questions from me!). He explained each step of the process, and was at pains to make sure that nothing was missed at each stage. My car has only done some 20k, so was quite clean underneath, however it was still a revelation to see the difference after the jet wash.

All in all, a very worthwhile day and I must say I am very pleased with the end result. I have attached some piccys to give you an idea of what is involved - hope they work ok.

Cliff

PS - thanks to the club for negotiating the deal.

Ken
4th December 2006, 16:11
Cliff

The black underbody wax............ what does it cover? Does it go over brake pipes, suspension front and back? also do they take off the wheel liners to do up under there?

One more question as you have mudflaps do they take those off to really get in under the wheel arches?

Sorry so many questions but its worth knowing :lol:

Lastly in your opinion was it worth the money?

Ken

windrush
4th December 2006, 16:34
Cliff

The black underbody wax............ what does it cover? Does it go over brake pipes, suspension front and back? also do they take off the wheel liners to do up under there?

One more question as you have mudflaps do they take those off to really get in under the wheel arches?

Sorry so many questions but its worth knowing :lol:

Lastly in your opinion was it worth the money?

Ken eagerly waiting for your reply to Kens questions as am planning to have my done early in 2007

Ken
4th December 2006, 17:17
One last question from me clff, have you any more pictures you could put up?

Ken

GreyGhost
4th December 2006, 17:26
My only question relates to health and safety.
Does this fellow not wear a mask or breathing apparatus?
:nurse: :zap:

Teflon
4th December 2006, 17:34
The black wax covered just about everything - floor pan, brake pipes, suspension and running gear (minus the brake discs of course) the lot!

He didnt take the arch liners or mud flaps off, but to be honest, I don't think there's a need. He used a flexible extension on his sprayer to get behind the arch liners etc, and when he sprayed the wax, you could see it "misting" out of every crevice. It does leave a bit of a film on the paint work, but if (like me) you enjoy cleaning your Rover, it gives you just the excuse you need (if you don't like car cleaning, then consider your paintwork protected as well!) Interstingly, when he did the bonnet cavities, a fair amount of water was ejected from within. Goodness knows how long it had been there. The thick black wax is for the exposed areas, and it looks like it will do an excellent job in terms of protection.

In terms of value for money - I suppose it depends on how long you aim to keep the car. Personally I intend keeping my 75 for a good many years, so to me it was definatly worth it.

All in all, I think I would recommend this process to anyone who really cares about their car and intends to keep it in the long term.

Hope this helps,

Cliff

Teflon
4th December 2006, 17:47
One last question from me clff, have you any more pictures you could put up?

Ken

Unfortunatley, I didn't take as many as I intended to (too busy been nosy and bothering Michael). I do have 2 more showing the black wax on the car. Be aware, though, that the process was not complete when I took the snaps and you can see a fair amount of "virgin" floor pan in the shots. Once the trickiest parts were covered, Michael went methodically over the entire vehicle underside, giving a comprehensive covering to all exposed areas.

HTH,

Cliff

Spôôk
4th December 2006, 17:48
If the Rustmaster system is anything like the Dinitrol system, it is a very comprehensive treatment. They don't miss a spot underneath (except the heat shields;)), all cavities, doors, posts - you name it. The spray programs are developed in close cooperation with the manufacturers and by those in the know I am told that there is a corrosion prevention scheme in the MGR workshop manual.
Spôôk

Ken
4th December 2006, 18:00
Thanks Cliff you have answered all my questions. Very interesting about finding water in the bonnet recesses as that ties in with a post by me about bonnet condensation. I will be getting mine done early next year :lol:

Cheers Cliff :lol:

Ken

Christopher
4th December 2006, 18:05
Thanks Cliff - I too will be looking for a free date early next year for mine ;)

Cheers

Kandyman
4th December 2006, 18:20
Glad all went well with your treatment Teflon.

I think me and a few others are looking to get it done earlyish next year.

Thanks for the writ up and pictures.

Teflon i will edit the list post and put a link next to your name to this thread for others that might come across it. :)

Teflon
4th December 2006, 21:09
No worries - happy to help. Apparantly another member is going next Monday - not sure who though.

Regards,

cliff

Kandyman
4th December 2006, 21:13
Well i hope they let us know who there are so we can update the list

Keith
4th December 2006, 22:49
A thought, if sprayed in blind behind the wheel arch liners two things come to mind

Firstly are the liners now stuck fast? and secondly I would be inclined to check the drain tubes are not blocked at the tapered ends by the treatment?

simonsmith
5th December 2006, 00:00
Our 75 Tourer going in next week for the Rustmaster treatment as we always intended to keep it for the long term.I did wonder if the wheelarch liners
would have to come off but if the treatment reaches parts 'other beers
don't reach' that will be sufficient.

windrush
5th December 2006, 06:41
Thanks for the further information Cliff I am impressed and looking forward to getting my 75 done

Teflon
5th December 2006, 10:45
A thought, if sprayed in blind behind the wheel arch liners two things come to mind

Firstly are the liners now stuck fast?

If only - mine still rattle around like good'uns. THe only part of the 75 that seems of cheap build quality (the ones on my old Hyundai were as solid as a rock).

and secondly I would be inclined to check the drain tubes are not blocked at the tapered ends by the treatment?

A good point - I will do so asap. On the subject of drain tubes - whilst the car was in the air, I had a good nose underneath at the 2 central plenum drain tubes. On mine, these are not straight tubes, but have a 90 degree bend in them. Many folk here talk of clearing their tubes with a peice of rod etc (sounds painfull) but I can't see how that would work with the bend in the tube. For what it's worth, i cleared mine with a blast from a garden hosepipe -worked a treat.

Cliff

Keith
5th December 2006, 10:54
Interesting comment!
Certainly on the CDT it is straight through and I use and domonstrated at Eden the use of a piece of 15mm Poly Pipe which works perfectly for the one under the Pollen filter.

I have not had a go or even located the one near the Brake servo yet though. Maybe I will go and have a good look at lunch time

GreyGhost
5th December 2006, 10:58
There is only one central plenum drain tube and it is straight through. I would suggest you may have been inspecting the A/C condensate drains. There are two of them.

Teflon
5th December 2006, 17:49
There is only one central plenum drain tube and it is straight through. I would suggest you may have been inspecting the A/C condensate drains. There are two of them.

Hadn't thought of that!! You may well be right - I do wish I had taken a piccy. The 2 drain tubes were rubber, and each had a small rubber flap on the end. I assumed they were plenum drains after someone here (or possibly on .org) said that there was a second central plenum drain near or under the brake servo.

I will no doubt find out when I get my hands on my Haynes manual (hopefully tomorrow If my wife has got me what I think she has for our anniversary:lol: )

Cliff

Keith
5th December 2006, 18:16

There are 2 on the CDT and two aircon drains as well.

The important ones the plenum drains stick out about 2 inches below the plenum and are pipes with a slit at the bottom about 40mm across the slits open to let water pass if this treatment is a bitumen substance I can see problems re the drains gettting coated and that will either gum them up or make them rigid stopping them opening properly I suggest masking them and the aircon drains off as part of the pre treatment exercise.

right I am off down the pub

GreyGhost
5th December 2006, 18:20
There are 2 on the CDT

I only know of the one, which we all keep clear. I do stand to be corrected, always willing to learn new tricks :) to pass on to the members.

Teflon
6th December 2006, 08:25
The important ones the plenum drains stick out about 2 inches below the plenum and are pipes with a slit at the bottom about 40mm across the slits open to let water pass

In that case it wasn't the plenum drains I was looking at. Must have been the air con pipes as Grey Ghost suggests. (oops)

Cliff

Geoffrey
13th February 2008, 20:51
I am interested in having comprehensive anti-rust treatment carried out on my car and wonder whether any members are able to help me with my query about the merits of Swiss Waxoyl as opposed to the home-grown British variety. One hears varying opinions about their respective qualities.
G.

prits_uk2002
13th May 2008, 00:25
on the underside of the car well on the side skirt why is the finish off the paint different its more like bubbly wrinkly is this something rustmaster do is it to prevent rust or perhasps stone chips mine is in silver as car is silver your may be different color

prits_uk2002
13th May 2008, 18:14
thanks can anyone confirm if rustmaster redo the textured stuff as in some area mines has chipped away also if they do what colour is it

Teflon
13th May 2008, 21:04
No. Rustmaster will inject Waxoyl in the cavities, and cover the underbody with hard black waxoyl. The protective paint on the sills is not part of the process.

Hope this helps,

Cliff

prits_uk2002
13th May 2008, 23:23
yes it helps now i understand . thank you very much where can i can thias bit that im on about done from so its back new looking

Teflon
14th May 2008, 07:50
I would think that any decent body shop should be able to sort it for you or, if the damage isn't too bad, one of the mobile chip repairers may be able to help - I believe Halfords do such a service.

Never used them myself, so I don't know what they are like, but it may be worth enquiring in your nearest branch.

Cliff