PDA

View Full Version : Strathaven Classic Show, South Lanarkshire, May 2013 ** POSTPONED**

gslittle
13th November 2012, 11:00
Hello folks

I help to organise this show and we're in the planning stages for next year's at the moment - it will probably be held on either the 19th or 26th of May.

In 2010, the first show, we had one ZT 260 (mine shown below together with my other Ford) and in 2011 we had three 260s, one R75 V8 and a stunning yellow ZT.

There were no ZTs or 75s there this year partly because I was malingering in hospital during the organisation of the show.

Anyway, long story short, the event is held at the rural centre in Strathaven offering hard standing or field parking, on site cafe and shop, proper toilets and so on. If folks would like tentatively to arrange an official stand then please let me know. I'll kick off by saying I'll definitely be there with my car. There is a fee (£3 per car this year) to cover costs and all profits go to good causes.

Cheers

Graham

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/gslittle/popnmg.jpg

EVENT DISCLAIMER

Please be aware this is not an official 75 & ZT Owners Club meet and as such is not covered by the Club’s public liability insurance. Also the Owners Club take no responsibility for the meet in any way.

Simondi
13th November 2012, 12:23
Tentatively I could say yes for the 19th.

derekosb
13th November 2012, 17:37
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the suggestion and if the members fancy it we can certainly include it the calendar.

I would point out that the Scottish All Rover Rally is planned for the 25th and 26th of May next year so you might clash if you choose the 26th.

Derek

Jim Jamieson
13th November 2012, 18:07
I do hope they at least cut the grass for this show.
I attended it two years ago with the SD1 Vitesse and luckily we had hard standing just outside the shop but as far as the field was concerned I would have turned away as it was horrendous with mud and a full crop of silage ready to cut :(

JYJ

Gurgle260
13th November 2012, 20:09
Depending on Marshalling committments will put it in my diary. Also as Membership Secretary of the Scottish Kit Car Club , I'll see if any of our guys may wish to come along too....may give me a dilemma of whether to bring the ZT 260 or my Dax Rush:shrug:

Robert

Thomas
13th November 2012, 20:13
do you have a yellow ZS 180 as well Robert?

Gurgle260
13th November 2012, 23:21
My wife does...although I do get to drive it if I put petrol in it :):)

Robert

gslittle
14th November 2012, 09:35
Thanks for your replies so far, folks.

The clash with the Rover rally may happen and I'm grateful for the warning - at least there'll be one car at ours (or two if I can find someone to bring my 75 as well).

The Scottish Kit Car Club has been there each year, with Mr Kerr being the point of contact, unless I'm getting the club name wrong. A Cobra coupe won the first car of the show award, voted by the visitors.

As regards the mud. The grass was due to be cut the day before the 2011 show but there was an unexpected downpour. The farmer who owns the field didn't want to cut the wet grass in the continuing rain, as his opinion was that if it were shorter then the vehicles would cause even more mud and many more might become stuck. This year we're discussing extending the hard standing and either not using the field or only part of it, even if it means limiting the number of cars on show and therefore our charitable donation capability. We have tried controlling the weather but have so far failed to find a solution. Suggestions welcome.

More news soon.

Cheers

Graham

Yella Fella
14th November 2012, 09:58
I was there in 2011 and said I would not return, mainly because of the long grass. :mad: We were told it was hard standing, no mention of the grass, just hard standing. It appears the higher prestige cars were given the hard standing areas and when we arrived we were directed into the field. I suspect the Jaguar Owners Club will not be in the field? The grass could have been cut serveral days before (farmers always have their eye on the weather forcast ;) )

Long grass is real hazard to cars because of field mice. Ive seen my friends MGB GT interior and wiring loom shredded because of field mice following a similar show with long grass costing £6,000 to repair. The mice problem often not realised by show organisers.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9761/strathaven19.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6779/strathaven29.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6826/strathaven4.jpg

Sorry to sound negative, but it was bad in 2011. I would come along again, but only if the 75 and ZT Owners Club were assured of an area on the hard standing area.

Gurgle260
14th November 2012, 10:11
Hi Graham

That would have been our guys from the Scottish kit Car Club who were there

Robert

gslittle
14th November 2012, 10:42
Hello

Please could a moderator close or delete this thread? I didn't intend to engender a debate about the grass and mud (one-off and being dealt with), hard standing (available to all and possibly all-encompassing next year) or who said what to whom. I was just making a tentative enquiry about whether, or not, there may be any interest and I can't see there being too much now from this source.

It's difficult and time-consuming to set up an event such as this while trying to deal with everyone's usually legitimate (but sometimes not) complaints by gradual improvement. We are a bunch of enthusiasts learning as we go along and trying to raise some money for charity. I set up and ran the website that accompanied the show and the online entry form was amended to include a hard-standing yes/no option. The complaints have been many but we try to cut down the list every year. For example the outside toilets were said to be in the wrong place so we added another location. The £5 charge was considered excessive so that was cut to £3 and may disappear altogther now that sponsorship may be forthcoming. People didn't like the higher number of kiddies rides as this encouraged pester power, so these were reduced. Stalls were limited to one of each type again to minimise people's spending. The list is a long one but we hope we're getting there.

We have a policy of (politely and genuinely as we're all enthusiasts) asking each person with a complaint to attend one of our planning meetings with their suggestions for improvement but haven't had any takers so far.

Thank you

Graham

Yella Fella
14th November 2012, 13:06
Keep the thread going as it looks like people will come along and it looks like there are things going on in the background which was not apparent at first which is ensuring you are putting together a good show.

Like I said, I would come along and support your show if on hard standing. This is the same with Scone, Glamis shows etc, which I did not support this year due to the condition of their fields. On relflection, my earlier post was harsh and to the point so please accept my apology for this and I appreciate the background work which is going on. If you see me at the show, take pleaseure in telling about your V8 and remind me mine is a 1.8.

Glenn

gslittle
14th November 2012, 16:32
No need to apologise.

Just agree to swap your stunning ZT for my less than stunning Tourer but which comes complete with driver's side cupholder and chrome door handle finishers. :D

Thomas
14th November 2012, 20:29
My wife does...although I do get to drive it if I put petrol in it :):)

Robert

I pass you every day on road to work, every morning whilst sitting in traffic I look into your driveway!

Thomas
14th November 2012, 20:33
Graham would you like the thread closed or shall we leave open at the moment?

gslittle
15th November 2012, 07:41
Please leave it open. I'll update it as and when I have more details.

Kind regards

Graham

Tim_Burgess
16th November 2012, 17:02
If it's the 19th I might come along if work / SWMBO permits. If it's 26th then I'll be at SARR.

MGStephen
21st November 2012, 21:40
In 2010, the first show, we had one ZT 260 (mine shown below together with my other Ford) and in 2011 we had three 260s, one R75 V8 and a stunning yellow ZT.

Me and Gramps were there in 2010, We took the Silver ZT-T and the 75 Connie, along side my MG ZS.

Its literally 5 minutes from us, so we will be there again, If its dry.

Stephen

Graham1961
22nd November 2012, 00:35
Hello folks

I help to organise this show and we're in the planning stages for next year's at the moment - it will probably be held on either the 19th or 26th of May.

There were no ZTs or 75s there this year partly because I was malingering in hospital during the organisation of the show.

Anyway, long story short, the event is held at the rural centre in Strathaven offering hard standing or field parking, on site cafe and shop, proper toilets and so on. If folks would like tentatively to arrange an official stand then please let me know. I'll kick off by saying I'll definitely be there with my car. There is a fee (£3 per car this year) to cover costs and all profits go to good causes.

Cheers

Graham

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/gslittle/popnmg.jpg

EVENT DISCLAIMER

Please be aware this is not an official 75 & ZT Owners Club meet and as such is not covered by the Club’s public liability insurance. Also the Owners Club take no responsibility for the meet in any way.
I would be interested in this, i will put in for holidays for this week so i should be able to make it, plus i will be attending the SARR the next weekend.....:)

FLYER
22nd November 2012, 19:40
ach go on i might as well.:D

gslittle
4th April 2013, 09:40
Hi folks

The event is confirmed for Sunday 19th May and there is information and online booking available at www.strathavencarshow.co.uk (http://www.strathavencarshow.co.uk) for any interested parties.

Hard standing can be provided and the cars can be grouped together despite it not being an official event. It is covered by public liability insurance.

Proper cafe and toilets available on site as well as other food and drinks vendors.

I may drag my V8 out of hibernation but my 75 Tourer has just eaten yet another clutch slave or master cylinder so will probably not be there.

Kind regards

Graham

AldoR
4th April 2013, 21:07
Is there any further interest in this show anyone?:)

Thomas
7th April 2013, 20:10
I may go gents, depends on swmbo etc

gslittle
15th May 2013, 10:17
Hi folks

Event now postponed due waterlogging of the fields due to be used for some of the show vehicles and public car parking. Will be re-scheduled, I believe, for late August to mid-September.

Kind regards

Graham

sparky69ma
15th May 2013, 18:43
If i remember and aint working i will be there

gslittle
16th May 2013, 07:59
Hello Sparky69ma

The event is postponed as per my previous post. Please don't make the trip.

Cheers

Graham

Dragrad
17th May 2013, 23:37
Hello Sparky69ma

The event is postponed as per my previous post. Please don't make the trip.

Cheers

Graham
Thread Title amended as per post. ;) Keep the thread updated with any new dates.... :}