PDA

View Full Version : A/C evaporator in blower assembly...

T16
13th November 2012, 22:43
Hi,

Ive a quick question about where the A/C evaporator is located.

From what I can see logically is it positioned just infront of the Heater Matrix?

THerefore does air always blow over the evaporator at all times, regardless of whether you have the A/C on, or is there a diverter that specifically directs air over the evaporator when you turn on the A/C?

I just wondered, as I am planning to squirt some anti bacterial stuff into the large recirc air vent above the passenger footwell, would a small length of pipe that comes with the spray be enough to reach the evaporator?

Cheers.

T-Cut
14th November 2012, 10:21
Incoming air passes through both the evaporator matrix and the heater matrix and each is controlled by flaps. These control the mix of hot and cooled air to give the temperature you set.

Bactericidal cleaners that come with a long tube are designed to be injected into the evaporator housing via the condensate drain tubes (under car). Direct contact with the foam is the only way to remove bacterial slime from the matrix. Vapour type deodorants are usually sprayed or injected into the recirculation system. These have only temporary effect since the slime which causes aircon smell is not affected.

TC

T16
14th November 2012, 10:26
Yeah tried that.. doesnt work.

Bought some WURTH Biocide (really nasty stuff) and it just runs straight out of the drain holes as its like water.

I think even wurth said that you need to spray down a vent with the A/C on full...

But I am wondering if I did this with the big vent under the passenger footwell, would this suck it onto the evaporator?

Ive no doubt that this stuff will kill everything given the chance, it was seriously nasty.

kaiser
14th November 2012, 10:36
It does not help to spray against the air flow.
The vents at the floor are outlets, you must spray at the inlet. Switch the internal fan on max, and see where the greatest suction is, under the front screen somewhere.

The give it a whiff at that point, without anyone in the car, and see what happens.

It is possible that you would cover the seats, but you will have to see how it goes.

T16
14th November 2012, 10:58
Hi,

You misunderstand me!

Not the small floor outlet vents, I mean the big re-circ vent thats on the side of the blower assembly out of view.

You have to remove a panel under the dash to see it.

kaiser
14th November 2012, 15:10
OK I'm with you.
However I think I would try and avoid sitting in the car if the stuff is as nasty as you indicate.
What happens if it can't differentiate between single cell and more complex lifeforms?! :D

Arctic
14th November 2012, 23:05
Hi,

You misunderstand me!

Not the small floor outlet vents, I mean the big re-circ vent thats on the side of the blower assembly out of view.

You have to remove a panel under the dash to see it.

Which vent is it have you tried the bombs which you set off and close the doors or can the pollen filter be removed and it injected through there as in the last pic just a thought but i use the bombs which are due now to be honest