PDA

View Full Version : Another Idea?

Alex30013k
4th December 2006, 21:17
Had this idea,

The guy next door has got a new Astra while its Avensis is being fixed,
And when he unlocks the car the rear number plate lights up, and fades down with the interior lights,

Well I like this,

If I was to wire it up with my inside lights would every thing still work ok?

Like If the interior lights were switched on at the same time as the out side lights?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235&d=1165270593

:drool4:

GreyGhost
4th December 2006, 21:42
Had this idea,

The guy next door has got a new Astra while its Avensis is being fixed,
And when he unlocks the car the rear number plate lights up, and fades down with the interior lights,

Well I like this,

If I was to wire it up with my inside lights would every thing still work ok?

Like If the interior lights were switched on at the same time as the out side lights?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=235&d=1165270593

:drool4:

I like the way you refer to your next door neighbour as "it" :rofl:

Sorry can't help with the lighting question as it's the BCU that handles the interior lights, although the numberplate lights are very low wattage and do not register when blown, (at least not on my car).

Keith
4th December 2006, 21:49
Not exactly no Alex

problem is when you turn on the normal lights then you will also light up the interior!

It might work if you take a wire from the interior lights and connect a decent Diode in series this will isolate the interior lights from the normal light supply

Both sets of lights are driven by the BCU so it might get a bit upset if it is not desigbed to run a any more than the basic interior lights

The dimming function is achieved not by reducing the voltage but by pulsing the bulbs

If you want to try it get a decent diode one capable of handling the current to the number plate bulbs e.g a 5 amp diode should be more than enough and can handle 30 watts of bulbs and I am sure the festoon bulbs don't add up to 30 watts between them.

I thought there was a rear light related option on Testbook but I am not sure what it does

GreyGhost
4th December 2006, 21:59
Not exactly no Alex

problem is when you turn on the normal lights then you will also light up the interior!

It might work if you take a wire from the interior lights and connect a decent Diode in series this will isolate the interior lights from the normal light supply

Both sets of lights are driven by the BCU so it might get a bit upset if it is not desigbed to run a any more than the basic interior lights

The dimming function is achieved not by reducing the voltage but by pulsing the bulbs

If you want to try it get a decent diode one capable of handling the current to the number plate bulbs e.g a 5 amp diode should be more than enough and can handle 30 watts of bulbs and I am sure the festoon bulbs don't add up to 30 watts between them.

I thought there was a rear light related option on Testbook but I am not sure what it does

Aha, vaguely remembered the pulsing to dim.

Testbook can enable see you home numberplate light, same operation as see you home headlights, switch off ignition before lights and they remain on for a minute or so.

BTW i have uprated the interior bulbs to give some proper light rather than the dingy orange and they work just fine. I was pretty circumspect in their use for a while, but now I am confident that there is no detrimental effect.

MN190
4th December 2006, 22:21
Sorry can't help with the lighting question as it's the BCU that handles the interior lights, although the numberplate lights are very low wattage and do not register when blown, (at least not on my car).

They do on mine even when just one of them has blown

GreyGhost
4th December 2006, 22:26
They do on mine even when just one of them has blown

Both of mine have gone a separate times and not been indicated. I wonder why?

MN190
4th December 2006, 22:30
Both of mine have gone a separate times and not been indicated. I wonder why?

Got the light fault message first. Then when I pulled up and switched off got the nice message to say Number plate light. Next stage is for the computer to change it as well

Alex30013k
4th December 2006, 22:48
In the hand book it says that both bulbs need to blow before it will tell you,

I have the number plate switched on (T4) with the lights delay, but i would like them to switch on when you unlock the car?
:o

MN190
4th December 2006, 23:01
It doesn't help but I saw a newish Merc recently that when he unlocked his car front side lights came on at night

rdholmes
5th December 2006, 07:12
A friend of mine has the BMW that when you blip the key fob puts the lights on the door handles on - very nice.

baxlin
5th December 2006, 10:18
Yes, but the BMW only has footwell lights in the front, unlike several 75s owned by members which have rears as well!

rdholmes
5th December 2006, 14:06
Sorry, I meant lights on the outside under the door handles so you can see where to pull.

Still prefer my car to his!

baxlin
5th December 2006, 14:26
Sorry if I suggested otherwise Roy, but I did know what you meant, and it's a nice BMW touch (rushes off to wash his mouth out). It was quite funny when I was being shown this new 1 series BM by its proud owner, showing the door handle lights and the front footwell lights, only a week or so after I'd finished fitting lights to all 4 footwells at next-to-no cost.

Commodore
5th December 2006, 16:06
Although the numberplate lights are very low
wattage and do not register when blown, (at least not on my car).
According to my manual, they will only register if both are blown (assume they are on the same circuit, so if one is still working, it registers as still active).

Keith
5th December 2006, 16:08
The above makes sense as both bulbs are wired in parallel

GreyGhost
5th December 2006, 17:00
According to my manual, they will only register if both are blown (assume they are on the same circuit, so if one is still working, it registers as still active).

Thanks for that. It now makes sense. :)

salop75
5th December 2006, 18:26
Aha, vaguely remembered the pulsing to dim.

BTW i have uprated the interior bulbs to give some proper light rather than the dingy orange and they work just fine. I was pretty circumspect in their use for a while, but now I am confident that there is no detrimental effect.

What wattage did you uprate the bulbs too?

(been thinking the interior lights are too dim for quite a while now)

John

radi8or
5th December 2006, 18:30
I fitted LED festoon bulbs for the number plate light and the warning comes on even if only one side is gone, the warning also shows if only one led has gone.

On another light topic how easy would it be to have the lights come on automatically as you enter a tunnel ?

Simon
5th December 2006, 19:11
On another light topic how easy would it be to have the lights come on automatically as you enter a tunnel ?

As the lights are controlled by the Light Module which is a chip-controlled device rather than a set of relays then the answer could be 'quite difficult'.

Also, the Light Module holds back-up data of your cars milleage and VIN data and therefore you can't just remove it.

It may (and I say may) be possible to by-pass the Light Module and wire a suply direct to the lights operated from a relay connected to a light-sensor but I do not know if this is possible in practice... :confused:

GreyGhost
5th December 2006, 19:24

John

Can't recall right now I'll have a look tomorrow when I get in from work.

lildevil
5th December 2006, 20:09
I fitted LED festoon bulbs for the number plate light and the warning comes on even if only one side is gone, the warning also shows if only one led has gone.

Would these do:
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16364&cat=610&page=1

Regards
Tom

Kandyman
5th December 2006, 20:56
Would these do:
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16364&cat=610&page=1

Regards
Tom

theses should suite it better ;)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16586&cat=668&page=1

GreyGhost
5th December 2006, 21:02
theses should suite it better ;)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16586&cat=668&page=1

W anchor lights, so Barry they are Barry :rofl: Light up your ring (Oh dear) :rofl:

GreyGhost
6th December 2006, 14:57

John

Hello John

I fitted uprated bulbs 12V 5 Watt from the 3 Watt that was original equipment. Tremendous difference in light output and colour.

baxlin
6th December 2006, 16:29
GG, do you anticipate any damage to the interior light lenses due to extra heat?

I'd like to brighten mine a bit as I've got 5w bulbs in the footwell lights and they're a bit brighter than the original interior lights.

Thanks

Malcolm

Keith
6th December 2006, 18:23

Dead easy you need one of DeeCees Pics or something appropriate that can hold a K-Bus code plus a K bus interface and a light sensor when triggered by low light the correct K-Bus command is squirted out on the K-BUS and viola on come the lights when daylight returns the off K-Bus commands is sent

The logic would need a slight delay built in to avoid the lights being flashed on and off under trees etc but all do-able

Keith
6th December 2006, 18:27
GG, do you anticipate any damage to the interior light lenses due to extra heat?

I'd like to brighten mine a bit as I've got 5w bulbs in the footwell lights and they're a bit brighter than the original interior lights.

Thanks

Malcolm

Good point as GG's have not melted yet I guess 5W is ok plus it does depend on the plastic used in the holder

My mate Bob has a Yaris and his interior light was always flickering or going off when he investigated the plastic had slowly melted or flowed from the heat of the bulb and the festoon connector had no more spring left, it had sunk so far into the plastic.