22nd November 2012, 16:29
That's addictive!

reworht
22nd November 2012, 16:31
Did you find yourself having to stop and think which way to turn the wheel :o

stevestrat
22nd November 2012, 17:35
Every time :D

Never towed a caravan. Nearly had one, my parents had one a few years ago but they sold it when my mother's arthritis got too bad. They said to my wife that we could have had it but I hadn't shown any interest, I didn't know they were planning to get shot of it :shrug:

Closest I came was having a trailer on the motorbike. The 1500 Goldwing had a reverse gear (weighed the same as an old Mini!), used to tie myself in knots with the trailer :confused:

reworht
22nd November 2012, 17:51
The Rover is actually excellent for reversing because of its length - the shorter the towing vehicle, the easier it is to jackknife the caravan. My 'van is approx 21 and a half feet long, and the Rover is just over 15 and a half feet - so that's 37 feet in total. Mind you, when I DON'T have the caravan attached, I can't work out where the back bumper is when reversing :o

maxtherotti
22nd November 2012, 19:19
Did you find yourself having to stop and think which way to turn the wheel :o

Alas no i didnt
I work on a touring caravan site and pitch people loads who cant reverse so i tell them how to do it:D

reworht
22nd November 2012, 19:26
Well done that man :bowdown:
I think I've only once been offered siting - warden with a Toyota Landcruiser with a tow ball on the front at a site near Mevagissey in Cornwall :}

maxtherotti
22nd November 2012, 19:34
We pitch every arrival and if there not too sure about reversing we can give them lessons
better that way if there driving there own unit helps raise there confidence too

Rob

ssizefive
22nd November 2012, 19:51
Glad it's easier with the real caravan than the game :D:D I'm quite new to caravanning & have just started to get to grips with the reversing - just need to practice going forwards now :D:D:D

Steve

stevestrat
22nd November 2012, 21:38
Watch the Top Gear caravan holiday. Lot of useful tips in it :D:D:D

reworht
22nd November 2012, 21:48
We pitch every arrival and if there not too sure about reversing we can give them lessons
better that way if there driving there own unit helps raise there confidence too

Rob

Rob - you have my utmost respect - I've spent about 30 years camping, trailer tenting and caravanning and the job that you and others do must be about as thankless as being a mod. on a web site :D
I can't believe some of the whinges people come out with because site wardens aren't available for every second of every day to clean up, tidy up, muck out and generally pander to the needs of some pretty rude and ignorant people - a class of holidaymaker which regrettably seems to be on the increase.

OK thats enough from Mr Grumpy for tonight I think ;)

438brad
22nd November 2012, 21:52
Best I can manage after about 8 attempts is 15.93 seconds.:) What are others getting?

reworht
22nd November 2012, 22:06
Best I can manage after about 8 attempts is 15.93 seconds.:) What are others getting?

I have had a lot of practise - if I really concentrate, I can do it in anywhere between about 14 and 18 seconds. I have also taken about 25+ seconds when I've got it wrong - it could be the fact that the car is a left hooker - well, that's my excuse ;)

maxtherotti
23rd November 2012, 05:41
Rob - you have my utmost respect - I've spent about 30 years camping, trailer tenting and caravanning and the job that you and others do must be about as thankless as being a mod. on a web site :D
I can't believe some of the whinges people come out with because site wardens aren't available for every second of every day to clean up, tidy up, muck out and generally pander to the needs of some pretty rude and ignorant people - a class of holidaymaker which regrettably seems to be on the increase.

OK thats enough from Mr Grumpy for tonight I think ;)

luckily the site im on is a adult only site and without sounding snobish more top end of camping so our fee,s keep the riff raff away
tends to be more semi retired couples
we do have tenting too but on the whole its no bother
and being a family owned site its a much easyier site to work than say a haven park ect

Rob

reworht
23rd November 2012, 07:12
luckily the site im on is a adult only site and without sounding snobish more top end of camping so our fee,s keep the riff raff away
tends to be more semi retired couples
we do have tenting too but on the whole its no bother
and being a family owned site its a much easyier site to work than say a haven park ect

Rob

Sounds like my kind of place - spent 1 day as a visitor at a Haven site when son & daughter-in-law were staying there - not for me. If you don't mind, would you drop me a PM with the name of the site etc.?

Rod

maxtherotti
23rd November 2012, 07:19
pm on its way;)

Rob

Ray squires
25th November 2012, 16:45
I too work on a Holiday Park, not far from Rob, and we do all our own siteing of the vans.
Today i had to site 5 new vans and these are 40ft in length and 13ft wide.It`s a bit of a work up but it`s surprising how easy they are to manouvre with a 4x4.

Ray