PDA

View Full Version : K Series HGF - Can I put my mind at rest?

T-Cut
5th December 2006, 00:11
OK, I've read the numerous posts regarding this and sense there's almost a state of paranoia surrounding it. I 've got that way myself anyway. I remember seeing an article on tv when the HGF issue first made the news. As I recall, the reason why this happened was put down to the design of the gasket itself. I remember something about an elastomeric compound being stuck around the various oil/water ways and it is the failure of this rubbery stuff which leads to the problem.

Anyway, I also think I remember that the gaskets were changed to a different design in later production. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
I have a 2004 Connoisseur 1.8T and would love to know if this problem is or isn't relevant to my car. Many thanks.

TC

Alex30013k
5th December 2006, 05:21
Well when you read about all the problems on the forums about HGF, it seems a lot worse than it is, because people will only write about it if they have a problem, never if they don’t,

So all you will read is that "I got HGF" etc,

You will get mixed views from who ever you talk to, Some people will say that every K Series engines get it round the 70-80K mark,

But then there are a few ppl with K Series that have over 100k with no problems,

Some times HGF is not caused by the engine design its self it can be caused due to lack of servicing and care, like getting a water leak and then carrying on driving the car,

But if the head gasket does go and you stop driving the car straight away - this should will be a very cheap and easy fix as its one of the easiest engines to do,
but then some ppl see that the engine temp has risen and think oh i am only 10 mins from home and carry on driving then that’s when you start needing new heads etc,

Yes the new land rover/MGR gasket has been said to stop HGF and as yet i have not read any one with the new gasket to have HGF yet,

MartinW
5th December 2006, 10:40
TC

To summarise. design modifications were made for the 2003 year, notably for the MG TF which, along with the Freelander, seemed to suffer most. The HGF rate on these later engines is said to be well below industry average. In addition, Roger has stated that the 1.8T in his experience in the ZT (slightly higher state of tune than in the 75) is also a far superior set-up. However, that said, HGF can still happen, but, as Alex, points out, the basics of preventative maintenance and regular checks should pre-empt this.

On my wife's 98 Rover 214, this has so far been ok, but we do monitor it closely, including the fact I changed the radiator recently to prevent overheating.

The classic points that lead to failure are also the inlet manifold gasket that can weep, weepage from the water pump area, and the inability to properly refill and bleed the system when doing the required coolant change using the correct spec fluid.

Keith
5th December 2006, 10:57
The donor car for my Hi-Line satnav project was a 1999 1.8 with 170000 on the clock, engine was fine afaik and it was sold on Ebay as such.

Ken
5th December 2006, 14:03
TC
You may want to read this page (http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/roger_parker_on_the_k_series_and.htm) I put together from infor from Roger Parker.

That is a good link and one that everyone should read in my opinion ;)

T-Cut
5th December 2006, 16:30
That is a good link and one that everyone should read in my opinion ;)

Indeed. I'm glad I asked now, many thanks.

TC