PDA

View Full Version : front sidelight ON with ignition on and switch OFF!

pondweed
5th December 2006, 16:14
hmm... just finished my driver side rewire of the loom from vibration on the crossmember which had cut through two wires. And now, I have an errant bulb deciding to glow at all times on the passenger side.

I'm presuming that there must be damage to a feed to the electric motor and to the sidelight bulb wiring, causing this light-up when switch is off. Is this reasonable, before I start all the dismantling again.... or has anyone else had a different causal factor for this sort of thing? (I do appear to have a dry ECU...)

David3807
5th December 2006, 16:26
Probably mentioning something you already know but its not the 'parking light mode' is it ??

With ignition off, light switch off, selecting left indicator will illuminate left side sidelight and rear light. Similarly right indicator right side bulbs.

HTH

David

Keith
5th December 2006, 16:44
I was going to say the same, is it only a front bulb Jon?

pondweed
5th December 2006, 16:47
I was going to say the same, is it only a front bulb Jon?

unfortunately yes....
This is ignition ON as per thread title.... extinguishes when ign OFF (thankfully)!

Alex30013k
5th December 2006, 20:32
The Parking light will only work in the stalk is moved down or up after engine and light switch off!

pondweed
6th December 2006, 09:50
well, the passenger side is more accessible than the drivers side (didnt take bumper off) but the direction the earth lead is tightened up in influences where the loom rubs against. And YES, THREE WIRES THRU' TO THE CORE! So get checking your sheathing before it happens to you... you know it pays to be safe:D The loom to the headlight didnt appear to be trapped, but the original insulation is meagre and obviously vibration plays a big part...

(note I'm nearly on 170,000, so it will probably happen to you eventually without attention...)

Keith
6th December 2006, 10:34
Have you found out why the bulb is coming on?
Can you measure any voltages, if only partly illuminated I guess you may have an earthing fault somewhere assuming the LSM is not faulty itself

pondweed
6th December 2006, 10:58
Have you found out why the bulb is coming on?
Can you measure any voltages, if only partly illuminated I guess you may have an earthing fault somewhere assuming the LSM is not faulty itself

I'm presuming that one of the thin wires was a live ignition feed to do with the adjustment motor.. and that this was thus supplying the power for the side light core when it touched it. Is this possible? it all works, anyway. :D