PDA

View Full Version : Motor mover

oldcarguy
3rd December 2012, 19:54
I have been looking on ebay for a motor mover so I can get my little van round the back of the house, and had been considering a bigfoot, but was surprised at what they were fetching second hand, best part of £200 + collection/delivery costs.
Yesterday before we went out to dinner I placed a bid on a Truma motor mover, the type that bolts to the chassis and drives the caravan wheels. fully remote controlled.
Early Christmas present, won it for £205 and it was only 10 mile away.

maxtherotti
3rd December 2012, 20:05
sounds a good buy for that money

reworht
3rd December 2012, 20:05
I have been looking on ebay for a motor mover so I can get my little van round the back of the house, and had been considering a bigfoot, but was surprised at what they were fetching second hand, best part of £200 + collection/delivery costs.
Yesterday before we went out to dinner I placed a bid on a Truma motor mover, the type that bolts to the chassis and drives the caravan wheels. fully remote controlled.
Early Christmas present, won it for £205 and it was only 10 mile away.

That is one heck of a good price - can you find me one too ;)
I reverse my 'van onto hardstanding - but then need to turn it through 180 degrees so that I can secure the hitch - a job which would be far easier with a mover. I've watched a few on Ebay, and most have gone for considerably more than £200 - I am green with envy :D

RPWC
3rd December 2012, 21:24
Bear in mind the extra weight a mover will add to the miro of your caravan,35-40kg.thats 35k less payload;)

reworht
3rd December 2012, 21:33
Bear in mind the extra weight a mover will add to the miro of your caravan,35-40kg.thats 35k less payload;)

I think I saved that amount when I took the rear bunks beds out of the 'van - now there's just the two of us we don't need them - so they are residing in my loft :}

RPWC
3rd December 2012, 21:37
I think I saved that amount when I took the rear bunks beds out of the 'van - now there's just the two of us we don't need them - so they are residing in my loft :}

Lucky you Rod;)I could do with one for backing the van into the drive,I have a good arrangement ATM, both of my neighbours act as brake men,and watch me in while I push and steer from the jockey wheel,and slow it down with the handbrake,as our drive is a downward slope.

oldcarguy
4th December 2012, 06:26

Overall weight isn't a problem, if I remember correctly the van weighs in at about 850kg so I should think with everything on board we will still be under 1000kg, and with the 135cdti thats well under its capabilities.
Now I've just got to pluck up the courage to go out in the cold and fit it.

RPWC
4th December 2012, 06:46
That's the clinching factor, if you're 'van has a good payload, you've got space to play with.,mine only has a payload of 200, so I would have to be careful.

oldcarguy
9th December 2012, 07:30
Okay, today's the day, its not raining or snowing, so its time to get out and get under, and get this mover bolted to the chassis. Hopefully a couple of hours should see it somewhere near. :xmas-smiley-029:

oldcarguy
9th December 2012, 15:15
Okay, today's the day, its not raining or snowing, so its time to get out and get under, and get this mover bolted to the chassis. Hopefully a couple of hours should see it somewhere near. :xmas-smiley-029:

Well, that didn't go too well, the motors are mounted on box section, with a smaller box section that slides inside allowing you to adjust to the width of your axle, but someone has used it as a jacking point and deformed the outer box, so the inner one wont slide right in.
Not sure whether to try and force it back into shape or just cut a few inches off the inner box. Its looking likely to be the second option.:huh:

reworht
9th December 2012, 16:03
Well, that didn't go too well, the motors are mounted on box section, with a smaller box section that slides inside allowing you to adjust to the width of your axle, but someone has used it as a jacking point and deformed the outer box, so the inner one wont slide right in.
Not sure whether to try and force it back into shape or just cut a few inches off the inner box. Its looking likely to be the second option.:huh:
I think the second option is the better - I'm always a bit reluctant to start 'doctoring' a caravan chassis. Looks like someone has been pretty careless in sticking a jack under the wrong place - not the first or the last I suspect :(

By the way - congrats. on having a very sensible christian name - I don't feel so left out now :icon_redface:

oldcarguy
9th December 2012, 18:16
I think the second option is the better - I'm always a bit reluctant to start 'doctoring' a caravan chassis. Looks like someone has been pretty careless in sticking a jack under the wrong place - not the first or the last I suspect :(

By the way - congrats. on having a very sensible christian name - I don't feel so left out now :icon_redface:
Its not the caravan chassis, its the crossmember for the motor mover that they jacked up on. But I think I will cut a few inches off the inner box, at the end of the day, all I can ruin is a length of box section, if I do it any other way and mess up I am into expensive parts.
Oh well, just have to wait for another fine day.
:xmas-smiley-029:Del Boy has a lot to answer for.:xmas-smiley-029: