PDA

View Full Version : Going to brave it at christmas

ssizefive
10th December 2012, 18:36
I have just booked to go away on boxing day for a few days at the caravan club site at Knaresborough. Having been away the weekend before last where the van door was frozen shut, the waste water was frozen along with everything else in site & still enjoyed myself i thought why not?
Is anyone else as daft as me?:xmas-smiley-029:

Steve.

438brad
10th December 2012, 18:39
I have just booked to go away on boxing day for a few days at the caravan club site at Knaresborough. Having been away the weekend before last where the van door was frozen shut, the waste water was frozen along with everything else in site & still enjoyed myself i thought why not?
Is anyone else as daft as me?:xmas-smiley-029:

Steve.

Probably not pal, lol!!!:xmas-smiley-029:

James.uk
10th December 2012, 18:46
Nope,... you are on yer own there Steve, a caravan in mid winter, with temps of minus whatever? Not on your nelly...... :huh:

I will think of you though, when I turn the heating up, have a nice hot shower, roast some Chestnuts, stick my feet up on some nice warm pillows and watch the telly... :) lol...

ssizefive
10th December 2012, 18:52
Nope,... you are on yer own there Steve, a caravan in mid winter, with temps of minus whatever? Not on your nelly...... :huh:

I will think of you though, when I turn the heating up, have a nice hot shower, roast some Chestnuts, stick my feet up on some nice warm pillows and watch the telly... :) lol...

Never mind watching tv - you should be outside polishing your new shiney grille!!

Steve.

sikelsh
10th December 2012, 18:56
You do right Steve, wish we could go to ours but the site has put it to bed while March :(

We use an oil filled delongi radiator in winter, nothing better than being cosy in a caravan in winter.

Have fun :)

ssizefive
10th December 2012, 19:00
You do right Steve, wish we could go to ours but the site has put it to bed while March :(

We use an oil filled delongi radiator in winter, nothing better than being cosy in a caravan in winter.

Have fun :)

Thats what i have, i use a halogen heater for instant heat then put the oil filled radiator on once we are warm & just leave it on. I am hoping we will get snowed in so i dont have to come back!!

Steve.

windrush
10th December 2012, 19:05
Lilian and I used to go away in the caravan every Christmas till about January the2nd alas sold the caravan in the summer due to our ages so no more caravanning for us, but we do miss it
:christmas:

ssizefive
10th December 2012, 19:07
Lilian and I used to go away in the caravan every Christmas till about January the2nd alas sold the caravan in the summer due to our ages so no more caravanning for us, but we do miss it

I bet you do - Brian mentioned you had sold the van at a meeting earlier in the year.
I have only just started this year although my parents had one when i was a kid that we used to get out in quite a bit.

Steve.

reworht
10th December 2012, 19:25
I'm seriously considering it for next year - I'll need to 'install' some better heating though - my 'van is so old it only has a rather ineffective gas fire - no blown air heating system :icon_redface:

I'll be interested in your comments when you come back!

maxtherotti
10th December 2012, 19:36
nothing crazy about it !!!!!
I live in a tourer all year round (3 years now) and still play the xbox in the awning :rifle:
maybe im just hardcore!!!!!!!!!!!!!:xmas-smiley-029:

Rob

ssizefive
10th December 2012, 19:40
I'm seriously considering it for next year - I'll need to 'install' some better heating though - my 'van is so old it only has a rather ineffective gas fire - no blown air heating system :icon_redface:

I'll be interested in your comments when you come back!

So is mine ( 1986!! ), it doesn't even have hot water but it is still a big step up from the tent:xmas-smiley-029:

Steve.

ssizefive
10th December 2012, 19:43
nothing crazy about it !!!!!
I live in a tourer all year round (3 years now) and still play the xbox in the awning :rifle:
maybe im just hardcore!!!!!!!!!!!!!:xmas-smiley-029:

Rob

I think you must be :xmas-smiley-029: I wont be bothering with the awning - there is only me & my son so we will be fine without it.

Steve.

reworht
10th December 2012, 19:59
So is mine ( 1986!! ), it doesn't even have hot water but it is still a big step up from the tent:xmas-smiley-029:

Steve.

I feel a lot better now Steve - I was beginning to think I was the only person left with a pre-1990 caravan :xmas-smiley-029:

You've not had any problems tripping out the mains supply when using heaters?

ssizefive
11th December 2012, 05:40
I feel a lot better now Steve - I was beginning to think I was the only person left with a pre-1990 caravan :xmas-smiley-029:

You've not had any problems tripping out the mains supply when using heaters?

No, you are not alone:xmas-smiley-029:

The halogen heater has three settings - i have never dared to put it on the highest setting but usually have it on two until the van warms up & then setting one is enough. I have tripped the mains once when i had the heater on two & then turned the kettle on but that was the only time so i just make sure it is on one now when the kettle goes on. The radiator is 800w & has never caused a problem. It has never been cold enough to have the radiator & fire on at the same time - that would probably trip the whole site :xmas-smiley-029::xmas-smiley-029:

scorpio stu
11th December 2012, 06:23
We used to go away every christmas and new year to Sandy Balls in the New Forest. Yes it was a bit chilly at times but great fun.The dogs loved it and we took all the pressies with us for the kids. The only advice I can give you is to take a spare heater with as our extra one packed up and had to go and buy another.Heating in the van was great and it was a 93 model.
Enjoy and drive safe

sikelsh
11th December 2012, 06:26
Kettle and heater on full normally trips mine too, but bizarrely we can run the microwave and heater together.

Ps 1993 here, do have hot water though :)

windrush
11th December 2012, 08:12
I all ways had a spare fan heater with me just in case

James.uk
11th December 2012, 16:55
I lived in a caravan for the first two years of my married life. Very nice location, it was at the bottom of a poshe ladies garden at the West side of Sandbanks ( Poole Dorset). I had views of Brownsea Castle and Poole harbour from the windows.. Not bad in winter, but a bit noisy in heavy rain! lol...

Prob was it was too far from work, I worked at Hamworthy Engineering Fleets Bridge in those days. :) And even back then traffic was awfull in the Sandbanks area..

Canonite
11th December 2012, 17:57
Thats dedication for ya.
Im still looking at them and swotting up on all things Touring.

Hope you have a nice trip out

actros
11th December 2012, 20:13

I'll be interested in your comments when you come back!I go away in mine every new year and its great going again this year as well Sherwood Forest here i come.
:christmas::xmas-smiley-028:

ssizefive
12th December 2012, 05:17
I go away in mine every new year and its great going again this year as well Sherwood Forest here i come.
:christmas::xmas-smiley-028:

Have a good time Brian!!

Steve.

ssizefive
12th December 2012, 05:19
We used to go away every christmas and new year to Sandy Balls in the New Forest. Yes it was a bit chilly at times but great fun.The dogs loved it and we took all the pressies with us for the kids. The only advice I can give you is to take a spare heater with as our extra one packed up and had to go and buy another.Heating in the van was great and it was a 93 model.
Enjoy and drive safe

Spare heater is already in the van - that was a lesson i learned when i used to go camping & one stopped working.

Steve.

Nige B
12th December 2012, 10:13
Hi Steve ,how misleading can 1st impressions be..you seemed quite sane on the two occasions i've spoken to you...shows how wrong you can be...http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif...enjoy it all the same ...:christmas:

windrush
12th December 2012, 10:19
Hi Steve ,how misleading can 1st impressions be..you seemed quite sane on the two occasions i've spoken to you...shows how wrong you can be...http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif...enjoy it all the same ...:christmas:

Dont worry he will have a great time

ssizefive
12th December 2012, 11:47

I run a Rover 75, own a caravan & am a member of this club - sane would be the last description i would use for myself:D

Steve

Nige B
12th December 2012, 11:54
I run a Rover 75, own a caravan & am a member of this club - sane would be the last description i would use for myself:D

Steve
How true,need to get yourself a ZT ,and redeem yourself a little....:xmas-smiley-029::xmas-smiley-029:

ssizefive
12th December 2012, 15:42
How true,need to get yourself a ZT ,and redeem yourself a little....:xmas-smiley-029::xmas-smiley-029:

Not for me thanks, unless i could have one as well as mine:xmas-smiley-029:

Steve.

Canonite
13th December 2012, 08:12
Not for me thanks, unless i could have one as well as mine:xmas-smiley-029:
Steve.

I manage one of each, and i'm totally normal :panic:
I choose a car each day based on my mood. The Rover is for when i'm sensible but when I feel like a little toe-rag who listens to very loud heavy metal I take the ZT. It's like the Rover is the Dad, and the ZT is the delinquent son with tattoos and a red mohawk.

Jim Jamieson
21st December 2012, 22:39
I hope you enjoy your travels Steve, we had a late 70's Sprite Major and towed it with the SD1 Vitesse for several years but then the boys grew up and we started going abroad for holidays.

However after some persuasion from the "Missus" I relented earlier this year in returning to caravanning afteer a 16 year break.

We are a bit spoiled this time as we now have a 2007 Coachman ViP 520/4 and on our first outing there was a heavy overnight frost which we were unaware of until we opened the blinds.

The difference with the newer vans is fantastic with blown heating and pressure hot showers etc.

Mine is currently laid up but already I'm itching to get back out in the New Year.

JYJ

ssizefive
22nd December 2012, 09:56
I hope you enjoy your travels Steve, we had a late 70's Sprite Major and towed it with the SD1 Vitesse for several years but then the boys grew up and we started going abroad for holidays.

However after some persuasion from the "Missus" I relented earlier this year in returning to caravanning afteer a 16 year break.

We are a bit spoiled this time as we now have a 2007 Coachman ViP 520/4 and on our first outing there was a heavy overnight frost which we were unaware of until we opened the blinds.

The difference with the newer vans is fantastic with blown heating and pressure hot showers etc.

Mine is currently laid up but already I'm itching to get back out in the New Year.

JYJ

We will have a good time thanks - i am really looking forward to getting away for a few days. I think being cold wont be an issue but staying dry might be:xmas-smiley-031:
I will get a more modern van one day when funds allow but this one is a improvement on the 1970 Sprite Alpine that we used to have when i was a kid - it has things like a fridge, electric lights and a electric pump for the water:xmas-smiley-031::xmas-smiley-031:
I have seen the images of your van & it does look nice.

Steve.