PDA

View Full Version : Easy or hard to fit?

JP53
5th December 2006, 20:36
Now I know a lot of us like to fiddle and add bits to our cars so........

Which part has been the easiest to fit?

Which part has been the hardest to fit?

Please state time to fit if possible and allow for scraped knuckles and the like. Mats don't count :D

Simon
5th December 2006, 21:07
Easiest - Valve caps. :rofl: Time - 5min, including opening the packet and making a cup of tea afterwards.

Hardest - Complete engine rebuild?! :laughing2:

baxlin
5th December 2006, 21:18
Easiest? Ron's MAFAM and Tu3 - just a few minutes for each (although I took time to make a bracket for the MAFAM)

Longest? So far, it was replacing the fan and fan motor, because of the amount of strippng down that had to be done. Not hard, just a long job, 3-4 hours. (this was also the most expensive!)

Most fiddly? Footwell lights, because of all the routing of wires from the roof through the dashboard and underneath the seats.

Cheapest? The spyhole mod so I can check the plenum chamber drain very quickly. Cost nothing, as holes come free and I had a suitable "bung" in stock.

Malcolm

tourerfogey
5th December 2006, 21:40
One of the longest:

Removing the factory fitted dog guard and boot liner from a Tourer and then putting it back again. In fact, if I want to carry a long load, I don't bother anymore, I just borrow a van.

Raistlin
5th December 2006, 22:06
Cheapest? The spyhole mod so I can check the plenum chamber drain very quickly. Cost nothing, as holes come free and I had a suitable "bung" in stock.

Malcolm

I still haven't had the nerve to attack my plenum cover with a drill for fear of not aligning the hole with the drain accurately :(

Teflon
6th December 2006, 08:21
Haven't done a great deal to my car, but the easiest fit so far were the front mudflaps. Hardest were the rear mudflaps (getting the clips on was a real *$%*$, not to mention the screw on the underside).

I would have nominated the "5 minute job" of replacing the reverse light switch, but after 3 attempts over a number of days, I gave up and left it to a garage to do!

Cliff

windrush
6th December 2006, 09:53
Ive done nothink to mine as yet but then Im a tight olg ***

Kandyman
6th December 2006, 11:18
Ive done nothink to mine as yet but then Im a tight olg ***

Then whats that thing stuck to the back of your's ;)

baxlin
6th December 2006, 12:48
Paul,

I'm not going to fall for that again, like I did on the .org forum, giving all measurements etc only to be told I'd missed the smiley and it was a joke/wind-up!

But just on the offchance you're serious, there are obstructions etc on the .org forum.................

Malcolm

Nick Hoare
6th December 2006, 16:05

Malcolm

What is involved with this "spyhole" mod.

baxlin
6th December 2006, 16:23
OK, as there was no smiley, I'll assume it's a pukka question Nick.

When you check the plenum drain, if you lean right over the engine, you can see straight down through the drain tube, onto the ground, ie if the tube's clear.

A spyhole (40mm ish dia?) is therefore cut in the plenum chamber cover (not the grill) directly above the drain tube, and fitted with a suitable bung. A bath plug would do the job, even if it might not look the part. I found a chrome dished lid - but find your bung before drilling the hole!!

To check the drain, just unclip the grill cover, remove the bung, lean over and look down the drain tube. Takes seconds only. If you can see the ground, it's OK, if you can't, dismantle and investigate, or you could even rod it through the spyhole!

Hth

Malcolm

Nick Hoare
6th December 2006, 16:54
OK, as there was no smiley, I'll assume it's a pukka question Nick.

When you check the plenum drain, if you lean right over the engine, you can see straight down through the drain tube, onto the ground, ie if the tube's clear.

A spyhole (40mm ish dia?) is therefore cut in the plenum chamber cover (not the grill) directly above the drain tube, and fitted with a suitable bung. A bath plug would do the job, even if it might not look the part. I found a chrome dished lid - but find your bung before drilling the hole!!

To check the drain, just unclip the grill cover, remove the bung, lean over and look down the drain tube. Takes seconds only. If you can see the ground, it's OK, if you can't, dismantle and investigate, or you could even rod it through the spyhole!

Hth

Malcolm

Thanks for that Malcolm, might have a go at doing it at the w/e

Keith
7th December 2006, 16:32
I still haven't had the nerve to attack my plenum cover with a drill for fear of not aligning the hole with the drain accurately :(

Having now confirmed there is a second almost impossible to get at from the top drain for the CDT under the Brake Servo I have decided both are easier to deal with from under the car

five minutes and you're done.

baxlin
7th December 2006, 17:14
Keith - 5 minutes? From under the car? It takes me longer than that to get it jacked up and on the axle stands properly (can't use my ramps coz the front's too low), let alone finding where I'm supposed to be looking.

However, this aside, I won't argue with the thinking.

Malcolm

Keith
7th December 2006, 17:24
Yep five minutes.

Pop into garage bonnet up Hook up engine hoist pull on chains lift entire front of car up by a foot or so quick dive underneath with baby bottle brush, job done

lower car replace engine mounts repair I beam in garage roof tape bonnet down as it doesn't seem to fit any more have a cup if tea

I should have said five minute once under the car and you are done!
next time you are in the mood get under there they are very obvious.

JP53
7th December 2006, 18:58
Having now confirmed there is a second almost impossible to get at from the top drain for the CDT under the Brake Servo I have decided both are easier to deal with from under the car

five minutes and you're done.

Do you reckon power fold mirrors are the hardest to fit job Keith? :frightened:

baxlin
7th December 2006, 18:59
Nice response Keith!!:D

Simon
7th December 2006, 20:50
Yep five minutes.

Pop into garage bonnet up Hook up engine hoist pull on chains lift entire front of car up by a foot or so quick dive underneath with baby bottle brush, job done

lower car replace engine mounts repair I beam in garage roof tape bonnet down as it doesn't seem to fit any more have a cup if tea

I should have said five minute once under the car and you are done!
next time you are in the mood get under there they are very obvious.

Oh how I dream of havng a hoist in the garage.... :rolleyes:
Oh how I dream of getting the car in the garage in the first place! :rofl:

Keith
7th December 2006, 20:56
Do you reckon power fold mirrors are the hardest to fit job Keith? :frightened:

Don't start :)

They were really really easy I still want to know if the wires were already there if there are it would be relatively easy

JP53
7th December 2006, 20:59
Don't start :)

They were really really easy I still want to know if the wires were already there if there are it would be relatively easy

I still reckon we could have got those doors back on upside down and legged it across the fields before he noticed :laughing2:

Keith
7th December 2006, 21:04
Oh how I dream of having a hoist in the garage.... :rolleyes:
Oh how I dream of getting the car in the garage in the first place! :rofl:

I have a dirty great big hoist on an RSJ. I have never used it yet on a vehicle but it was very handy when I modified my summer house

I have lived here 5 years and it has only been since this June that I could get a car in the garage. Currently the V8 is in there all pulled to pieces whilst I install sat nav and stuff

JP53
7th December 2006, 21:08
I have a dirty great big hoist on an RSJ. I have never used it yet on a vehicle but it was very handy when I modified my summer house

I have lived here 5 years and it has only been since this June that I could get a car in the garage. Currently the V8 is in there all pulled to pieces whilst I install sat nav and stuff

Does a V8 need a faster reacting sat nav than it's slower stable mates? :D

Simon
7th December 2006, 21:09

Jealous of anyone with a big garage... :(

There was me last night, in the cold and wind, pulling my car to bits with only a halogen work light for warmth.

In light of this threads theme, I tell you it's not easy removing the air intake from a KV6 using only the headlamp access panel and space provided by removing the under-bumper quarter pannel. I never thought I could bend my arms like I had to do last night!!! :rofl:

JP53
7th December 2006, 21:21
Jealous of anyone with a big garage... :(

There was me last night, in the cold and wind, pulling my car to bits with only a halogen work light for warmth.

In light of this threads theme, I tell you it's not easy removing the air intake from a KV6 using only the headlamp access panel and space provided by removing the under-bumper quarter pannel. I never thought I could bend my arms like I had to do last night!!! :rofl:

You had a halogen work light for warmth! You lucky lucky man. When I were a lad I would have to work on car with nowt but a candle and would have to fix problem through indicator hole :laughing2:

Keith
7th December 2006, 21:22
I never thought I could bend my arms like I had to do last night!!! :rofl:

That reminds me, the hardest mod I have ever fitted apart from converting my Triumph 2000 from Auto to Manual with overdrive was fitting a simple tuning box to my Citroen Picasso Ideally you need a trained 8 year old to get to the connectors :(

Keith
7th December 2006, 21:25
Does a V8 need a faster reacting sat nav than it's slower stable mates? :D

I hadn't thought of that :)

That does make me wonder what it says from a direction instruction perspective if you go into a turn sideways

"At the juction turn........ straight on".............

Nurse!

Simon
7th December 2006, 21:27
You had a halogen work light for warmth! You lucky lucky man. When I were a lad I would have to work on car with nowt but a candle and would have to fix problem through indicator hole :laughing2:

Que Monty Python sketch....
"When I were a lad, all we had to eat was an hand full of hot gravel...."
:laughing2:

JP53
7th December 2006, 21:30
I hadn't thought of that :)

That does make me wonder what it says from a direction instruction perspective if you go into a turn sideways

"At the juction turn........ straight on".............

Nurse!

Or "At the next junction turn......take a U turn when safe to.......3 miles ago you should have.....oh s** it find your own way! :rofl:

JP53
7th December 2006, 21:30
Que Monty Python sketch....
"When I were a lad, all we had to eat was an hand full of hot gravel...."
:laughing2:

Classic stuff mate :D

Simon
7th December 2006, 21:52
Or "At the next junction turn......take a U turn when safe to.......3 miles ago you should have.....oh s** it find your own way! :rofl:

Why pay for a Sat Nav to say that when swmbo says it all for free! :laughing2:

JP53
8th December 2006, 05:46
Why pay for a Sat Nav to say that when swmbo says it all for free! :laughing2:

True and sulking with the sat nav, because it was right and you were wrong, just is not the same :)