PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 ZT-T fault and thrown up engine management light.

TheHulk
26th December 2012, 11:13
My 1.8 non turbo ZT-T is having a few problems.
Over the last two weeks it has put the engine management light on twice and gone out again a day or so later.
The car is feeling underpowered and held back (almost as if the handbrake is half on)
I have recently changed IMG as it had usual missfire on start up which went when the car was warm, that's now sorted.
I still have the underpowered underload issue though.
Revs very freely when parked and in neutral
although the exhaust pops quietly when revs fall.
Once the car is underload though especially in 1st,
2nd, 3rd it's woefully sluggish!
I'm also experiencing a high idle speed when the
car is warm and sat in traffic too.
I don't have access to a code reader but could it be
coolant temp sensor or faulty post cat lambda (pre
cat one is new)
Cheers
Andy

TheHulk
26th December 2012, 11:17
Just to add, it's also using a lot of fuel, to the extent when driving up a steep hill the guage will move drastically.

danbmx_69
26th December 2012, 11:49
dont take my word for it but i am sure some one will be along shortly to help but sounds like it could possibly be a lander sensor at fault here

TheHulk
26th December 2012, 12:02
dont take my word for it but i am sure some one will be along shortly to help but sounds like it could possibly be a lander sensor at fault here

It's definitely one of the parts I thought it could be. Like I said pre cat one is new but post cat is what looks like an original lambda.

T-Cut
26th December 2012, 12:03
Try running the trip screen diagnostic mode to see if it's reaching normal running temperature during a typical journey. It should get to 95-100C pretty quickly.

TC

TheHulk
26th December 2012, 12:11
Try running the trip screen diagnostic mode to see if it's reaching normal running temperature during a typical journey. It should get to 95-100C pretty quickly.

TC

I have done this quite recently and all seems fine. I am about to go out again in a short while so will run it again and report back what's happening.
If all is well with the temps would this rule out the Coolant temp sensor? It was the occasional high idle speed and high mpg which made me think CTS.

TheHulk
26th December 2012, 13:13
Just done a 7 mile journey and car started off at 33 degrees as we'd been out previously. Temp guage Rose to 90 within two miles and driving between 30 and 50mph the guage went between 90 and a max of 96. Ended the journey with a high idle speed of around 1100rpm.

andy willi
26th December 2012, 14:43
contact big russ he is near you and the best man i know to help you out

andy

TheHulk
26th December 2012, 15:12
contact big russ he is near you and the best man i know to help you out

andy

Is this the fella who lives in Mirfield?
I'm literally 3 miles up the road from in Lepton.
Although I am hoping to sort it myself as its not the best time of year to be spending money on the car when I can do it myself. Rebuilt the engine 8 months ago so more than capable just not got a diagnostic scanner. Although an eBay purchase may be imminent.

andy willi
26th December 2012, 15:53
better contacting russ before you spend any money

andy

TheHulk
26th December 2012, 18:16
Ordered a new lambda sensor. If this doesn't cure i'll get codes read when I get my hands on a diagnostic scanner. Atleast I know both are new and as I'm keeping the car long term it's piece of mind.