PDA

View Full Version : Fuel smell

tobias42
24th December 2007, 19:15
Hi Folks I am a newbie to this site as i have just purchased a Rover 75 V8.Great car but unfortunately i can smell petrol on the outside of the car. I have only driven it 200 miles since collecting it.
Is this likely to be the fuel filter problem?
Where is this located on a V8?
Any advice from owners would be appreciated.
Tobias42

brownie21
24th December 2007, 19:31
Hi Folks I am a newbie to this site as i have just purchased a Rover 75 V8.Great car but unfortunately i can smell petrol on the outside of the car. I have only driven it 200 miles since collecting it.
Tobias42

Check the injectors

Tim
24th December 2007, 21:52
Tobias42

The pump and filter are either side of the prop shaft under the rear seats. If you can smell petrol there then its been 'touched'.

Have a look on the underside for any damage follow through and up to the throttle body and look around there. The V8's don't normally smell of petrol. Just use it very quickly.

Welcome to the forum.:Santa1:

Kandyman
24th December 2007, 22:17
Welcome to the forums Tobias42,

Hope the above helps with your fault.

I would love to see some pictures of the car when you get a chance :)

ragitty
24th December 2007, 23:11
This thread may be of some help to you

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13164

Petrow
25th December 2007, 16:09
Tobias42

If the fuel filter cap has come loose (no clip fitted), or if the cap hasn't been properly re-tightened after fitting the clip, then you will get a fuel smell with the tank more than about three-quarters full - but you would expect to get the smell inside the car as well as outside. First action is to check the fuel filter, which is under the rear seat on the nearside. Details, including nice pictures, can be found on threads here and on the Two-sixties website (do join us if you haven't already done so).
If the smell is only on the outside, my guess is that it may not be the filter problem, but I can't offer any further help, alas. It is worth checking that the clip has been fitted anyway - it's an essential mod.
Enjoy your Christmas, and your great new car.

Peter

T-Cut
25th December 2007, 17:36
If petrol is leaking from the pump (or filter) housing in the top of the tank either the mounting seal has not been fitted correctly, or the delivery tube connection is insecure. The unscrewed filter body issue doesn't cause an external loss of petrol, only loss of pressure and fuel feed to the engine. The mounting seals have to be refitted carefully so they are completely seated on the rim of the mounting hole before tightening down the filter/pump module compression ring. Alternatively, the self-sealing pipe connection on the top of the filter has failed. Any leak on a newly acquired car indicates recent work in that area that hasn't been finished off correctly.

TC

tobias42
25th December 2007, 21:51
If the fuel filter cap has come loose (no clip fitted), or if the cap hasn't been properly re-tightened after fitting the clip, then you will get a fuel smell with the tank more than about three-quarters full - but you would expect to get the smell inside the car as well as outside. First action is to check the fuel filter, which is under the rear seat on the nearside. Details, including nice pictures, can be found on threads here and on the Two-sixties website (do join us if you haven't already done so).
If the smell is only on the outside, my guess is that it may not be the filter problem, but I can't offer any further help, alas. It is worth checking that the clip has been fitted anyway - it's an essential mod.
Enjoy your Christmas, and your great new car.

Peter
Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply.I will try to investigate further.This problem only started after i had filled the tank with petrol
Ian

tobias42
25th December 2007, 21:56
Welcome to the forums Tobias42,

Hope the above helps with your fault.

I would love to see some pictures of the car when you get a chance :)
Thanks for your advice,will try to sort out some pics when problem sorted.
Tobias42

tobias42
25th December 2007, 22:03
The pump and filter are either side of the prop shaft under the rear seats. If you can smell petrol there then its been 'touched'.

Have a look on the underside for any damage follow through and up to the throttle body and look around there. The V8's don't normally smell of petrol. Just use it very quickly.

Welcome to the forum.:Santa1:
Hi Tim
Thanks for advice. I cannot see any sign of petrol in engine bay.Problem occured after filling up with petrol for the first time.

Ian

tobias42
25th December 2007, 22:14
Thanks for the advice I will have to investigate further.The problem first occured after filling up with petrol for the first time.:Santa1:

ragitty
25th December 2007, 22:22
Thanks for the advice I will have to investigate further.The problem first occured after filling up with petrol for the first time.:Santa1:

That is exactly the same symtoms as mine was, it eventually turned out to be a tank seal. all the information that you will need to check it out is in a previous post. just scroll back up the page.