PDA

View Full Version : Holiday idea's anyone

rapid6
26th December 2007, 19:26
Hi Folks,

Just wondering what or where to go our holidays this year, any idea's??

we have 2 kids under 10, and we mainly like camping, however we have decided to stay in a static caravan this year, but don,t know where to head for.... We are going to New Zealand in March, so are only looking to spend a week to 10 days in the summer months in the uk. (not near cities, prefer the country)

Please feel free to make suggestions

ta

Simondi
26th December 2007, 19:41
Hi.
Two years ago we spent a week just outside Matlock in the Peak District. It was superb. There was so much to see and do from Chatsworth on one hand to the Bluejohn mine at Castleton on the other and of course everything in between. The whole week was fantastic.
There are also some pretty fantastic driving roads as well, a complete joy. I'd love to go back and take my 75 down them ( at that time I had a 400 ), perhaps next year!!
Wherever you go I hope you have a great time,

All the best

Simon

Zeb
26th December 2007, 20:21
Hi.
Two years ago we spent a week just outside Matlock in the Peak District. It was superb. There was so much to see and do from Chatsworth on one hand to the Bluejohn mine at Castleton on the other and of course everything in between. The whole week was fantastic.
There are also some pretty fantastic driving roads as well, a complete joy. I'd love to go back and take my 75 down them ( at that time I had a 400 ), perhaps next year!!
Wherever you go I hope you have a great time,

All the best

Simon

I reckon you went to the Darwin forest pinelodge site?

I can also highly recommend here...and their other site at Ashbourne...Sandybrook...

Neither are what I would call cheap! Sandybrook is much the quieter of the two..

Simondi
26th December 2007, 20:26
I reckon you went to the Darwin forest pinelodge site?

I can also highly recommend here...and their other site at Ashbourne...Sandybrook...

Neither are what I would call cheap! Sandybrook is much the quieter of the two..

Thats right, as I say a great holiday.

GERFIX
26th December 2007, 20:30
The Lake District's a good bet. Scenery, good roads etc. Not sure about campsites. Then there's always the west coast, Oban, Fort William etc, etc. Plenty good roads out that way and definitely plenty of scenery! Obviously you just have to take pot luck with the weather although in all the years I've been visiting out Oban way I've had more good weather than bad. Plenty of campsites out that way. Ballater's a nice wee place too and quite near Balmoral, Royal Deeside. Aberdeen's not too far from there too if you need to do a city thing whilst there. Again though, not sure about campsites.
New Zealand should be nice mind you!http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

rapid6
26th December 2007, 20:55
The Lake District's a good bet. Scenery, good roads etc. Not sure about campsites. Then there's always the west coast, Oban, Fort William etc, etc. Plenty good roads out that way and definitely plenty of scenery! Obviously you just have to take pot luck with the weather although in all the years I've been visiting out Oban way I've had more good weather than bad. Plenty of campsites out that way. Ballater's a nice wee place too and quite near Balmoral, Royal Deeside. Aberdeen's not too far from there too if you need to do a city thing whilst there. Again though, not sure about campsites.
New Zealand should be nice mind you!http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Yep, im looking forward to that, the old man lives there.
I agree with you regards Oban, Fort william etc these places are all within an hour or 2's drive and are visited often in the summer when im out on the motorbike,
I was thinking down south somewhere, maybe the isle of wight...anyone tried here before.

tourerfogey
26th December 2007, 21:58
Presumably you really mean 'next year' OP? ;)

rapid6
26th December 2007, 22:06
Yep, that would be 'next year', ive been nightshift last 2 days with no sleep, im getting a little 'yawn' tired now. 'starts snoring'

Phil
26th December 2007, 23:42
The nicest place I think I have been on holiday to was a place called Ogwen Bank holiday park. Bethesda?? North Wales. it is a fantastically beautiful part of the world. Nice friendly Welsh people, rather splendid barmaid in the pub on site.

JohnDotCom
27th December 2007, 00:12
If its a Static in a Park with good Entertainment, Smashing Swimming Pools with Flumes, and Wave Machines as well as Entertainment for all ages (and Wi Fi) , Cafes , Restaurants, Childrens Entertainment, Boating Lake, rock Garden, Woods etc Try British Holidays/Haven at Pwhelli North Wales.
You also have in Very Close access Castles, Steam Narrow Gauge Railways, Black Rock Sands you park your car on, Portmeirion the Italianate Village where the Prisoner was Filmed, Slate Mines, Potteries, Mountains with Miles of Mountainous Roads within Distance, and Beautiful Countryside and a Warm Welcome Etc.
All this and Much more in North Wales.

GERFIX
27th December 2007, 07:25
We've been a few holidays, camping and guest housing, to the English Riviera - Torquay, Paignton etc - and that's definitely one area I would have on my holiday list every year. The Devon & Cornwall area is certainly one of the nicest for a peaceful holiday - you know, with the Moors and such like and you are probably 95% guaranteed the weather too. No shortage of campsite either.
Wales is a great place too. Haven't had a lot of experience (2 off-season week-long breaks, one Rhyl and one Porthcawl) but there is definitely lots to see and do. Cardiff's a lovely city. The Castle is magnificent. It was also excellent to see and hear locals speaking Welsh. We saw a young girl serving in a shop, maybe 20 years old or so, speaking to an old woman in Welsh and when our turn came it appeared that English was the second language - it was almost like speaking to a foreigner - absolutely no offence intended to our Welsh friends in that statement!! It was very nice to hear the language.
No matter where you choose to go, I dare say you'll enjoy yourselves.

JP53
27th December 2007, 14:51
We go to Somerset a lot. A very nice part of the country.

Another very nice place is Lynmouth in Devon, it's a fantastic location and right by Exmoor.

wicksy_64
27th December 2007, 16:40
Plenty of choices here, plus reviews.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

rapid6
27th December 2007, 16:44
Some good ideas there folks, devon was on the hitlist this year, we went to a place called Starcross on camping holiday, the place is beautifull but the weather this year made it a washout, and there is sooooo much traffic down that way.

I must say JDC, North Wales does sound very good, lots to do etc. I'll put that in my top 3, once ive worked out another 2?