PDA

View Full Version : right "bit" for removing the MAF screws

pondweed
6th December 2006, 09:56
I've got a posh kit with all the security ends for various devices, but none to fit the two 5 pronged thingies with the stickie-up bits in the middle, so I can remove and then clean my maf, now i've located a can of spray alcohol.

Has anyone got a spare they want to sell, or does anyone know where I can get one from?

thanks

black olive
6th December 2006, 10:04
they are called security torx bits, try rs components http://rswww.com/uk/session_timeout.htm

alternatively I loosened mine with small mole grips and was able to remove them with a small flat screwdriver, whilst out I then cut a slot in them so I could put them back with a flat bladed screwdriver.

Keith
6th December 2006, 10:32
I bought a CK set in the local hardware shop for a fiver there seems to be two variants Jon so count how many points on the star you have

pondweed
6th December 2006, 11:00
I didnt realise they are only screws and not that tight.
I've done the 'small electrical screwdrive route' to loosen them and theyve come out ok. maf surfaces look pretty clean (drat!)

black olive
6th December 2006, 11:19
mine looked clean, but give it a spray carefully with isopropyl alcohol, let it dry out, put it back in and hopefully light the blue touchpaper- it made a big difference cleaning mine on an 18,000 mile car .

Ti Rich
6th December 2006, 13:07
I didnt realise they are only screws and not that tight.
I've done the 'small electrical screwdrive route' to loosen them and theyve come out ok. maf surfaces look pretty clean (drat!)

They all "look" clean! This is normally a thin film of oil/residue that builds up that's diffficult to see.

Give it a spray with isopropyl alcohol and pop it back in, i would be surprised if it didn't make a difference!

7t5
6th December 2006, 16:42
can you get isopropyl in a spray can? i can only seem to find it in bottles? if so where do you get it from? or do you have to use the bottle and pour it on?

cheers

pondweed
6th December 2006, 16:50
you can find it on ebay.. i bought some from RS components about £6 for 400ml. It appears to be quite temp sensitive... stored outside, it didnt really "aerosol" very well when used!
With synergy, I didnt realise that the bypass to the new temperature sensor is permanent irrespective of whether the MAFAM range switch is off, so at least it doesnt matter that that bit is dirty, too!

7t5
6th December 2006, 16:58
looked on ebay and all i can find is bottles no aerosols:confused:

Moonstone
6th December 2006, 17:02
looked on ebay and all i can find is bottles no aerosols:confused:

Maybe you know someone with a near-empty perfume bottle. It might cost you for a new replacement, though.

Come to that, doesn't perfume have an alcohol base......?

Ti Rich
7th December 2006, 09:06
You can get the cleaning spray from Maplin:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30056&criteria=non%20residue%20spary&doy=7m12