PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is a working sat nav

vitesse
10th January 2013, 21:52
Well my daughter's highline sat nav has been poorly for about six months and as she's got gps on her iphone and a limited budget we left things as they were. We couldn't see any satellites, interferences problems came up in diagnostic mode, we burned a fresh disc but no good.

Then I saw on ebay listed under BMW some cheap aerials like I have in my DD for £7 including postage from Lithuania, worth a shot so we bought one. Quickly fitted and now reception and position were back but no maps.

Daughter found a YouTube video showing how to clean the optical lens of a CD drive but getting to it was fiddly. Decided that alcohol was the best cleaner and opened a new litre of Finlandia for the occasion (it didn't go to waste).

Reassemble unit, plug in and all's working. Nice on the odd occasion life goes your way.

Hope this helps others

Reebs
10th January 2013, 22:07
Do you have the link to the YouTube guide on cleaning?

vitesse
11th January 2013, 11:43
Hi Reebs,

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpiAv8H147Y

Our units are a lot more complicated but the video helped us identify the module with the glass lens and managed to get at it with a cotton wool bud.

Sorry no pics, didn't really believe it would work but it does!

Regards

modlife
22nd March 2013, 10:40
The safest cleaner to use is Isopropyl Alchohol which can usually supplied by your local chemist. Spent 10 yrs as a tv/ vcr technician and we used nothing else..Ank.