PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Undertray

rich17865
21st January 2013, 14:57
Has anyone bought one of these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190785718019?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)?

It would appear that the are made of plastic, not glass reinforced plastic like the genuine ones.

If someone has bought one, are they any good?

SD1too
21st January 2013, 15:13
Hi Rich,

I bought one from that seller for my wife's hatchback. The finish was slightly rough and ready but all the mounting holes were in the right place and it hasn't fallen off! I have no complaints as the price was a fraction of the OEM part.

Simon

Edit: I should add that there probably won't be any soundproofing attached to it. Expect just sturdy black plastic.

rich17865
21st January 2013, 15:24
Hi Rich,

I bought one from that seller for my wife's hatchback. The finish was slightly rough and ready but all the mounting holes were in the right place and it hasn't fallen off! I have no complaints as the price was a fraction of the OEM part.

Simon

Edit: I should add that there probably won't be any soundproofing attached to it. Expect just sturdy black plastic.

Mine only has two fixings broken, but it is cheaper than a genuine one.

Have you fitted it yet? did you notice any difference in road noise? Do you think it would be worth fitting some sound proofing mat to it?

vindaloo
21st January 2013, 16:43
Only £15 cheaper than I paid for a new OEM one & mine had fixings.

Got mine here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-Undertray-/200879626471?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec55bd8e7) & I collected to save carriage

T-Cut
21st January 2013, 17:03
I think a decibel meter would show the difference between the polythene undertray and the sound deadened original part. It might also be apparent by ear if such a test was ever organised.

TC

James.uk
21st January 2013, 17:14
My car has no undertray, my mechanic asked if he could leave it off, and i agreed as it is very very quiet, so I don't consider the car needs one. :)

Re leaving mine off, it does not take a lot of time to remove and refit one, but in a busy workshop with three mechanics doing up to a dozen cars a day, undertrays waste an awfull lot of their time.. :o

pab
21st January 2013, 17:23
My car has no undertray, my mechanic asked if he could leave it off, and i agreed as it is very very quiet, so I don't consider the car needs one. :)

Re leaving mine off, it does not take a lot of time to remove and refit one, but in a busy workshop with three mechanics doing up to a dozen cars a day, undertrays waste an awfull lot of their time.. :o
...That's just pure lazy, on a lift it takes about five minutes to refit. In the past cars have left workshops without undertrays fitted for the very reason.

If I owned a Diesel, for sound deadening I would insist on a undertray.

vindaloo
21st January 2013, 17:26
I agree, also keeps the engine bay nice and clean

Fusilier
21st January 2013, 17:26
That's just pure lazy, on a lift it takes about five minutes to refit. In the past cars have left workshops without undertrays fitted for the very reason.

If I owned a Diesel, for sound deadening I would insist on a undertray.

PAB

totally agree with you, and it also stops all the crud and stones from bouncing up into your engine bay. I would always insist that if it is removed, then it should be placed back on

Stu

MangoMan
21st January 2013, 17:28
Not only that, it improves airflow under the car....

pab
21st January 2013, 17:34
There's many reasons why they are fitted, if they were not needed the manufacturer would not have bothered designing and fitting.

When I purchased the ZT, mine was missing, it was at the top of the ''To Do'' list to source and fit..

James.uk
21st January 2013, 18:53
I am happy with my decision, I think the undertay was a waste of space innit. :)

FLYER
21st January 2013, 19:04
I am happy with my decision, I think the undertay was a waste of space innit. :)
...agreed , ive owned 3 diesel 75s 2 without undertrays and never noticed a difference .

each to his own , the purists among us like to have EVERTHING fitted to the cars.

I,m not fussed .:D

ProfDave
21st January 2013, 19:17
For me as I live somewhere where there is allot of grit and c r a p on the roads I have always fitted the tray to save all this stuff getting to all the belts and so on

I looked at these for my latest 75 but I was not sure if they have the heat shields for where the exhaust comes quite close

So I opted for an OEM one; found one on a part finder brand new from an MGR dealer for £85 (ok twice as much) but with all the clips and fixings.

sikelsh
21st January 2013, 19:21
Has anyone bought one of these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190785718019?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)?

It would appear that the are made of plastic, not glass reinforced plastic like the genuine ones.

If someone has bought one, are they any good?

Rich, I have one in the garage if you want it? It's not in the best nick, was on my 99 75, but fell off :shrug: no fixings etc but if you can convince Andy to bring it over to your rolling road day, your welcome to it, don't expect a perfect one though.

Simon

hgv2
21st January 2013, 19:25
Mine has one and I've had it off once. I was pleased how simple it is to remove / re-fit but I did wonder what was the point. As I have it I will keep it but if it was missing I doubt I would bother to find a new one.
I can't help thinking though if they really were pointless wouldn't they have been dropped in "project drive"?

rich17865
21st January 2013, 19:37
Rich, I have one in the garage if you want it? It's not in the best nick, was on my 99 75, but fell off :shrug: no fixings etc but if you can convince Andy to bring it over to your rolling road day, your welcome to it, don't expect a perfect one though.

Simon

That is very kind, I will let you know, I am pre empting going over the speed bump a little quick the other day which resulted in a substantial grounding out and an expensive crunch sound.

pab
21st January 2013, 20:16
agreed , ive owned 3 diesel 75s 2 without undertrays and never noticed a difference .

each to his own , the purists among us like to have EVERTHING fitted to the cars.

I,m not fussed .:DA perfect sign of bad servicing. Why carry out the service/maintenance and hide the undertray in a corner of a workshop when it takes five minutes to refit.

Makes you wonder..

ProfDave
21st January 2013, 20:56
A perfect sign of bad servicing. Why carry out the service/maintenance and hide the undertray in a corner of a workshop when it takes five minutes to refit.

Makes you wonder..

agreed; if they cannot be bothered to put it back what else can they not be bothered to do!!

In my cars case never changing the PCV so it had blown a turbo for the last owner who had it serviced at the same place its whole life;

get one!

T-Cut
21st January 2013, 21:07
I can't help thinking though if they really were pointless wouldn't they have been dropped in "project drive"?

The 1.8 N/A lost its under panel. The Turbo retained it. For some reason, they were/are only half length versions on the 1.8s.
I guess the polythene ones on eBay would fit the 1.8 OK.

TC

pab
21st January 2013, 21:15
The 1.8 N/A lost its under panel. The Turbo retained it. For some reason, they were/are only half length versions on the 1.8s.
I guess the polythene ones on eBay would fit the 1.8 OK.

EDIT: Or would they??

TCTurbo models and later 1.8 N/A models with the PRT were fitted with a half or short undertrays. It had something to do with a cooling effect on these models.

bl52krz
21st January 2013, 21:28
A perfect sign of bad servicing. Why carry out the service/maintenance and hide the undertray in a corner of a workshop when it takes five minutes to refit.

Makes you wonder..
Because they are bone idle? Indicative of the way they repair your motor?

tony2
22nd January 2013, 01:27
As someone else pointed out, if the undertray had no real function Rover would have stopped fitting it during project drive and saved a lot of money.
Mine will be keeping it for that reason alone.

James.uk
22nd January 2013, 02:43
Diesel engines dont need to be clean, it's bad enuff having to clean a car! life's too short to mess about cleaning engines as well.. :)

I have been drivng cars for about 55 or so years, and have yet to clean an engine. :D :D :D.. I cleaned my motorbike engines, and usually spent hours trying to start them again afterwards.. :(

Of all the things in life I like to do, cleaning a car engine aint one of them! lol.. :D

rich17865
22nd January 2013, 07:20
Diesel engines dont need to be clean, it's bad enuff having to clean a car! life's too short to mess about cleaning engines as well.. :)

I have been drivng cars for about 55 or so years, and have yet to clean an engine. :D :D :D.. I cleaned my motorbike engines, and usually spent hours trying to start them again afterwards.. :(

Of all the things in life I like to do, cleaning a car engine aint one of them! lol.. :D

Wasn't it you getting your engine bay steam cleaned when we went to the spanner meet at Atherton Car Safety Centre arranged by Vindaloo?

Duotone
22nd January 2013, 07:35

I think it was your mechanics decision. Undertrays are fitted for good reasons and if MG Rover thought that they were not necessary they would have saved a few quid and not fit them to diesels.

Wasn't it you getting your engine bay steam cleaned when we went to the spanner meet at Atherton Car Safety Centre arranged by Vindaloo?

Oops. Was that to clean all the dirt thrown up because there was no undertray fitted.

Dave T

windrush
22nd January 2013, 08:14
Hi James I dont think that your mechanics are worth their salt if that is the type of advice that they gave you I would change my garage

MangoMan
22nd January 2013, 08:41
Not only that, with the car up on the Ramp it takes what, all of 5 minutes to fit back!!! It doesn't take me much more than that crawling under the car..... (Providing you have the right fittings).

You will most probably find that they didn't put it back because after lowering the car and taking it off the Ramp they've seen it sitting up against the wall and think, "NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- that"! Or they've lost some of the fittings and think more or less the same in the knowledge that the owner doesn't give a toss so why should we....! Or gullible and believe you when you tell them "it's not needed"....

vindaloo
22nd January 2013, 09:02
I'm convinced the reason a lot of garages don't put the tray back is that they damage it when removing the fittings. They try to remove the turnbuckle like a screw and when it doesn't come away completely they rip the tray off therefore damaging it around the fixing points and don't refit it, making up a story that it isn't needed to hide their incompetence.

pab
22nd January 2013, 09:38
Fixings broken..

Replace with Land Rover retainers and new clips, cheapest and best option.

T-Cut
22nd January 2013, 12:17
If you check out the Rimmer listing for these panels, they are all described as 'sound deadening', which suggests their primary function. The words will be MGR's not Xpart/Rimmer's.

Rimmer1: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001766

Rimmer2: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001767

TC

Westonboy
22nd January 2013, 12:44
Jules fitted an undertray to my cdt on its last service. As Jules advised the need for a tray thats good enough for me. On the drive home I cant say I was aware of it being any quieter but deffinately think the drive was smoother at 70 due to improved airflow, just my opinion.:D

SD1too
22nd January 2013, 12:56
Yes indeed, there are clearly at least three benefits of an undertray:

Sound absorption
Aerodynamic efficiency
Protection against rainwater, dirt, and stone damage

Simon

windrush
22nd January 2013, 12:59
So James I hope you are taking note of all these replies

MrDoodles
22nd January 2013, 15:44
I think a few people are missing the point about the sound absorption of the under trays! :(

It's not to make the cabin any quieter, but to make the car quieter in the "drive-by" db tests that all modern vehicles now have to pass! :)

vindaloo
22nd January 2013, 16:06
I think a few people are missing the point about the sound absorption of the under trays! :(

It's not to make the cabin any quieter, but to make the car quieter in the "drive-by" db tests that all modern vehicles now have to pass! :)

Absolutely correct:}

spyder
22nd January 2013, 16:15

Sound absorption
Aerodynamic efficiency

Simon

:wot::wot::wot:

I feel naked without it.:o

Dave Goody
22nd January 2013, 16:21
From the number of posts about them detaching while driving, I feel safer without:D As for keeping the engine bay cleaner, I never delve into the lower regions but my engine compartment is very clean so they don't make much difference and if you have a V6 ZT I thought the noise it makes was a reason to buy it:D Dave
ps If I have a leak I can also see where it comes from;)

James.uk
23rd January 2013, 02:00
As above innit ..... :D

>>>Wasn't it you getting your engine bay steam cleaned<<<

Actually yes it was, but only to remove the gunge that someone at one of our Hollow tree meets, told me if sprayed it on, it cleaned the engine, and left it nice and shiny - end of.:}.

But instead, it covered everything in an oily gunge!! But even then, I only got the garage to clean the front bit with the bonnet catches and bumper fixings on, the engine is still covered in gunge innit.

Shame I can't recall who's advise I took to spray it on... :mad:

Non of the cars I have owned prior to this one had an under engine cover, and now this one has joined the crowd! I don't believe it aids anything, I think they are meant to fall off and provide the producer with a good annual income replacing them innit.. lmho :p:

MangoMan
23rd January 2013, 07:01
I DON'T believe it.................... "innit".....

rich17865
23rd January 2013, 07:01
As above innit ..... :D

>>>Wasn't it you getting your engine bay steam cleaned<<<

Actually yes it was, but only to remove the gunge that someone at one of our Hollow tree meets, told me if sprayed it on, it cleaned the engine, and left it nice and shiny - end of.:}.

But instead, it covered everything in an oily gunge!! But even then, I only got the garage to clean the front bit with the bonnet catches and bumper fixings on, the engine is still covered in gunge innit.

Shame I can't recall who's advise I took to spray it on... :mad:

Non of the cars I have owned prior to this one had an under engine cover, and now this one has joined the crowd! I don't believe it aids anything, I think they are meant to fall off and provide the producer with a good annual income replacing them innit.. lmho :p:

I see a trend developing here!

windrush
23rd January 2013, 09:19
I DON'T believe it.................... "innit".....

Hi Bill, I dont think what ever the majority of members say the lad is not for turning:shrug:

MangoMan
23rd January 2013, 10:30
Yes, you can lead a Horse to water.......... "innit"!.... ;)

Jakg
23rd January 2013, 10:38
Our cars will work perfectly with or without an undertray, and it's a pain in the **** working on a car with it in on (ESPECIALLY when it comes loose later).

However - it's there for a reason, and it does help - as stated, for fuel effeciency, sound, & cleanliness (in that order).

Personally although I hate mine for the issues it's caused - it's still there. But I can understand why some owners don't bother!

James.uk
23rd January 2013, 15:51
The undertray is on a par with wipers that start when it rains, (and when the car in front washes their windscreen), self operating rear mirror dippers, rear blinds, lights that are on all day, or a temp operated rear window demister, etc. I can live without it. :)

BTW, if you leave the "ski hatch" open, it stops the boot interior getting damp. So that's not entirely useless innit.. :D

MrDoodles
23rd January 2013, 15:54
BTW, if you leave the "ski hatch" open, it stops the boot interior getting damp. So that's not entirely useless innit.. :D

Curing the leaks has the same effect!.....

rich17865
23rd January 2013, 16:19
Curing the leaks has the same effect!.....

Indeed it does, much better than having a disgustingly damp smelling car too.

pab
23rd January 2013, 16:30
It's not your fault James, when your car is in for maintenance, make sure the mechanic refits what is intended to be refitted and don't listen to the Bull..

spyder
24th January 2013, 15:41
The undertray is on a par with wipers that start when it rains, (and when the car in front washes their windscreen), self operating rear mirror dippers, rear blinds, lights that are on all day, or a temp operated rear window demister, etc. I can live without it. :)

And to think they stopped making the model-T ford, they had non of this, ecxept maybe the damp? :banghead:

James.uk
24th January 2013, 16:00
Never seen a T Ford, loved the old Austin 7's though, could change big end, small end bearings, reseat the valves, and decoke the head in an afternoon.. :D

No undertrays fitted though, and non on my ZX either.... :shrug:

Dorset Bob
27th January 2013, 11:23

Sound absorption
Aerodynamic efficiency

Simon

To help sell the idea to James, I think that list could be expanded on:

Sound absorption when hitting large volumes of water.
Helps the car to float
Hydrodynamic efficiency
Protection against water, dirt, stone damage and ducks
Protection of sump, when transiting over river banks.
Stops fishing lines and lead shot getting caught up on engine components (innit)

:p::D:D

James.uk
27th January 2013, 16:37
Cheers Bob, no use as a drop keel then? No anchor on my car innit. :D:D:D

No use for bouncing over sleeping policemen either!! :(

It might come in handy as a sledge in this weather though?