PDA

View Full Version : Door replacement

mickywillis
27th January 2013, 20:33
Whilst my Brother in Law is using my car, he has agreed to pay for a replacement door (in the correct colour) as a thank you .
He's going to collect the door from a breakers, but wants to know the best way of removing it?
Looks like the door is attached by the 2 bolts on both hinges (easy) and the door check strap needs to be removed (thats OK as well) But what about the wiring going through the rubber seal? Is there a multiplug inside the door or behind the passenger footwell cover that will need disconnecting? Or will all the individual plugs on the inside of the door need to be unplugged seperately?
Also, any idea on what a door weighs? Will he need any special tools to aid removal?

humphshumphs
27th January 2013, 20:43
If I remember rightly, the wiring loom will just un-plug once you pull the cover back and release the catch.

To take the door off, take off the two E-clips on the top of the hinge pins, then remove the door check 'strap' bolts. It can then be lifted off. Don't take the hinges off, as you will then have a lot of work to get them lined up again.

I've done this a couple times on my own. Be prepared on the weight, but one person can lift them.

Hope this helps.

stocktake
27th January 2013, 20:56
Tip:

Open the window of the door enough to get your hand in before you disc the electrics. Makes the door easier to lift etc ;)

Duotone
27th January 2013, 21:06
If you are on your own place a couple of axle stands under the door to take the weight.
The pipe foam is used so you don't scratch the bottom of the door.

Just undo the circlips on the hinge pins, don't move the hinges.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/newfeather/DSCF5522.jpg

Dave T

mickywillis
27th January 2013, 21:20
Thanks gents, I'll pass the tips on.
As it will be a replacement door, will it really matter taking the hinges off from the door side? I'm going to have to re-align the door anyway and can't imagine that the hinges on all the cars are in exactly the same place during manufacture?
Main concern is the wiring loom and unplugging it, a multiplug really will speed the job up. We are probably going to have to change the door card, mirror and possibly glass over, so will be a strip down to swap parts over.
BIL has asked will it matter if he cuts the wiring away from the donor car and if he does, where's the best place to cut? (to preserve any connector blocks)

dissy1810
27th January 2013, 21:30
It's just a multiplug in the pillar , the door usually fits perfect with no need to adjust the hinges and if it's a front door you are changing you may need to swap it there as its near impossible to fit a front door Inside the car for transport

Canonite
27th January 2013, 21:41
Thanks gents, I'll pass the tips on.
As it will be a replacement door, will it really matter taking the hinges off from the door side? I'm going to have to re-align the door anyway and can't imagine that the hinges on all the cars are in exactly the same place during manufacture?
Main concern is the wiring loom and unplugging it, a multiplug really will speed the job up. We are probably going to have to change the door card, mirror and possibly glass over, so will be a strip down to swap parts over.
BIL has asked will it matter if he cuts the wiring away from the donor car and if he does, where's the best place to cut? (to preserve any connector blocks)

You don't have to cut any wiring. As above, you just remove the door stopper thing, pop the circlips off and lift the door off the pins. Move it slightly away then disconnect the plug for the door loom.

If the donor door has the hinges remove them, and just bob the donor door onto the ones you've left on the car, that way it will all be aligned properly and you shouldn't have problems after.

PS; if it's a drivers door remember to swap over the lock barrell ;)

Arctic
28th January 2013, 01:23
It's just a multiplug in the pillar , the door usually fits perfect with no need to adjust the hinges and if it's a front door you are changing you may need to swap it there as its near impossible to fit a front door Inside the car for transport

As above remove the two circlips and the door stay from the pillar pull out the multi plug wiring fromthe same pillar this will allow the wiring to come forward a little with the multiplug which you can disconnect then lift door free refit in reverse, pic showing the mulitiplug connected to the door pillar below after the wing as been removed
http://i48.tinypic.com/1044ta1.jpg