PDA

View Full Version : tyre prices

colin d
6th December 2006, 17:54
I needed a couple of new 215/50/17s for my Tourer and decided to stick to the orignal Goodyear NCT5s. The local branch of a national chain (K*** F**) quoted £159.00 and would not price match, internet tyre suppliers quoted £123.00, whilst a tyre company in Rainham Essex quoted £111.00 each. All are "all in" prices. I went over to Rainham on Monday and they fitted the tyres and did a four wheek alignment check and adjust for under £50.00 which seemed very reasonable. They sell coffee and bacon rolls and provide newspapers to read whilst you wait. I was quite impressed.

JP53
6th December 2006, 17:57
I needed a couple of new 215/50/17s for my Tourer and decided to stick to the orignal Goodyear NCT5s. The local branch of a national chain (K*** F**) quoted £159.00 and would not price match, internet tyre suppliers quoted £123.00, whilst a tyre company in Rainham Essex quoted £111.00 each. All are "all in" prices. I went over to Rainham on Monday and they fitted the tyres and did a four wheek alignment check and adjust for under £50.00 which seemed very reasonable. They sell coffee and bacon rolls and provide newspapers to read whilst you wait. I was quite impressed.

Now thats my kind of tyre fitting company Colin ;) It's a shame I live so far away :(

Aga
7th December 2006, 22:48
Hi y'all!!!
Finally managed to get hold of the new club forum!!!
Didn't realise we had moved!
I popped into my local Kwik Fit & they have a price match on tyres, so if you find a cheap one further afield, its worth trying out your local KF to see if they will match it - and save you a journey to boot (pun intended)

MGZTT190+
7th December 2006, 22:59
Falken a highly rep Jap tyre company that is used for control tyres for racing.

Nice medium to soft compound that has a reputation for excellence and value.

You may need to buy direct and have them fitted, last year 5k miles ago I paid £695 for 4 Michelin pilots fitted which I feel is a little excessive as a year later they look ok but not new..I used Falken tyres on a very fast road Mini and have them on my Midget and will consider them for the ZTT.

Here is a link to check for yourself..

http://www.falkentyres.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=52&strPageHistory=cat

Hope it works.

Ian.

GreyGhost
7th December 2006, 23:09
Hi Aga

Nice to see you on here, welcome and enjoy your stay :)

Kandyman
8th December 2006, 07:55
Hi y'all!!!

don't they have internet in prison ;)

only joking mate :) Good to have you here :clap:

Ken
8th December 2006, 08:02
Hi y'all!!!
)

I have had my eyes open locally but I haven't seen your car recently?

Ken

welly
8th December 2006, 13:04
Just had all 4 tyres renewed by Event Tyres, never heard of them before but came up with the cheapest quote and fitted them whilst I was at work. I only ordered them yesterday and the job is now done.:lol:

4 x Continental Premium Contact 195 65 vr 15 £238.87 inc. Vat. :hurt:

Aga
8th December 2006, 16:23
I've been about, Ken! Try driving with your eyes open - it's much safer!!
Anyway, I don't know whether they are still running an offer, but I managed to get a pair of M3's for my ZT at Just Tyres (see their on-line site) for UNDER £200 - fully fitted - about 6 months ago. I need to get some new ones again, so I am now starting my research. I'll keep you all posted.

Simon W
9th December 2006, 02:02
Just had all 4 tyres renewed by Event Tyres, never heard of them before but came up with the cheapest quote and fitted them whilst I was at work. I only ordered them yesterday and the job is now done.:lol:

Just had a peek at th Event Tyres website http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/index.php

Blimey!! They have some really good prices - e.g. 4 x Firestone Firehawks 195/65 R15 V91) for £196 with the extra 5% discount. And they come to your home. Well spotted Welly!

welly
10th December 2006, 09:29
Cheers Simon

They seem an excellent firm, very nice van (the same as the picture on the web). The fitter was smartly dressed and very freindly, he even swapped a wheel from the front to the back because it needed more weight to balance it, they also use very smart alloy finish weights too.

You dont pay till the job is done either, so if they do let you down you are not tied to the deal.

Andyb123
10th December 2006, 09:39
Hi All just taken a look at the Falken web site and got a price for their equivalent to my Dunlop 225's, at my local Kwik Fit dealer they charge £124 all in for each tyre, at Falken the tyre will cost £58 inc VAT. Any one know how good these tyres from Falken are?.

crofts
10th December 2006, 15:23

Yes Welly there are some very good prices for 15" tyres, probably because they are more widely used (my 75 and our Vectra both have same size as yours)
I wince at the price the guys have to pay for 17 & 18" and in many cases only get 1/2 the mileage. Have now done 20,000 on my bog standard O/E Firestones with a bit more wear in them yet. :lol:

Aga
10th December 2006, 19:13
Is Rincewind now on this site?
He used to be the guru on tyres on the old .org site. If he is around, he will be able to guide you as to which tyres are best for our cars (he was always set on Continentals!)

welly
10th December 2006, 19:29
Not sure whether it was Rincewind or not but I definately read that Continentals were the best for our cars, hence the purchase. My car had a right old mixture on when I bought it, so I cant really comment on a specific brand being better than another, but it certainly feels a lot more settled and is quieter too.

GreyGhost
10th December 2006, 19:32
Is Rincewind now on this site?
He used to be the guru on tyres on the old .org site. If he is around, he will be able to guide you as to which tyres are best for our cars (he was always set on Continentals!)

Nic pops in to see us. He still is the tyre and most other sorts of Guru.
He uses Rincewind as his user name here as well.

Zed cars were originally designed to run on Michelin Pilot Sports, later they had a preference for using Continental Sport M3s. That's what are now recommended.

That's all I know about tyres for these cars and that info is straight from the horses mouth (so to speak).

Andyb123
10th December 2006, 19:42
I have just had to quickly replace two front tyres due to MOT being overdue, ooops missed it because it was out of sync with taxing the car. My local tye supplier did not have any Dunlop's in, which were on the car from new and had just covered some 30k miles. The only tyre they had that would fit were Conti's so I put two on at a cost of £238, so I now have two Dunlop Sport 3000's on the rear and two Conti's on the front. Am now debating wether to go and fit two more Conti's to the rear or another pair of Dunlop's.

Any comments guys.

All help greatfully appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

Aga
10th December 2006, 20:14
Is that £238 for 2 fully fitted ('cos that is good!)
Where in Wrexham is this ? I am spending Xmas with my sister in Chester, so it is not too far to go for a deal!
By the way, I picked up a couple for less than £90 each from Just Tyres in Basingstoke in the Summer, but they are now going for over £150 a piece!!
B*G**R!! I have just realised that you have a 75! I have a ZT and the Conti M3's are a bit more expensive, so £238 will not be the price for me!!! (Sob!)

Happy_Shrimper
10th December 2006, 21:51
Hi All just taken a look at the Falken web site and got a price for their equivalent to my Dunlop 225's, at my local Kwik Fit dealer they charge £124 all in for each tyre, at Falken the tyre will cost £58 inc VAT. Any one know how good these tyres from Falken are?.

Hi,
I too am very tempted by the Falken tyres. From what I have read, the FK-452 are the one to go for - Event supply and fit for £79.31 each and are W rated.
I understand the 512s are worth steering clear of.
Check out mytyres as they have a link to ratings for all the tyres. The 452 score very highly.
HS

iga
10th December 2006, 22:06
It might be worthwhile becoming a meber of Costco if there's one near you. I've just had 4 x Michelin Pilot Primacy 195 65 vr 15 fully fitted for less than £200 on my 75 tourer (came with Goodyear Eagles on originally). They only do Michelin but at that price who cares?!

Happy_Shrimper
11th December 2006, 11:11
Sounds good!
Don't you have to be self employed to join though??

Z135T
11th December 2006, 18:49
which area's do EVENT cover as they appear not to hit the North East/Northumberland area.

Andyb123
11th December 2006, 19:20
Hi Aga,

I got them at my K***k F*T garage in Wrexham, they did me a deal at the time because I bought at the same time and had them balanced /fitted all for the £238.

They do tend to be good ondeals, I have used them a lot over the years for various bits such as batteries, exhaust and brakes and so they now know me a bit. It may be that I go there often that I got the good deal, who knows.

Cheers,

Andy

mantianak
11th December 2006, 21:53
The place I goto for tyres is Bathwick Tyres. I think they're only in the south/south-west. It's kind of like quick-fit but not a rip-off, and more than likely quicker too. They fixed a puncture free of charge, Champions!

http://www.bathwicktyres.co.uk/homepage.html

Rincewind
18th December 2006, 10:18
Hellooooooo 75 and ZT world :xmas-smiley-022: seasons greetings and what not!

Sorry I've not been about so to speak, but I only got beack from India last Friday and today is my first day back in the office trying to catch up with everything.

Regarding the ongoing tyre discussions, most people know my thoughts for the ZT and ZT-T cars as I always recommend the Conti's as that's what all of the chassis work was done on and I still think that it's the best tyre for the vehicle (unless you go north of the border where Toyo's seem to work better).

As for the Rovers, we used to fit Dunlops, Firestone's, Conti's and Goodyears to the 75 variants. 15" used to have Firestone Firehawks and Goodyears I think. Anything on 16" was a Dunlop Sport something and the 17" pre-facelift were Dunlop Sport 3000's. After the facelift the 17" became the Goodyear NCT5 tyre on 215/50 R17 that suited pretty much all of the cars including the V8 Autos!

Tyres are a very "emotive" subject and you tend to buy what suits either your driving style or your wallet. Having said that, I believe that you should always pay good money for tyres as they are the only thing keeping you pinned to the road and in current weather conditions, a poor tyre is more dangerous than a worn tyre I feel.

Having said that, you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Nic

K T
18th December 2006, 14:53
My 54 plate facelift 2.0L CDTi had Dunlop SP3000 factory fitted on 16" wheels. Last month I had to replace them and found SP3000's are no longer available, so I opted for Dunlop SP9000 @ £110 each fitted.
Nice and quiet and hold the road well and the extra width protects the wheels.

Aga
18th December 2006, 15:34
I have already made a comittment to buying the Contis (only tyre that I have EVER bought for my 75 and ZT)
The reason why I am interested in this thread is simply to find out where the best deal for contis lies.
In the Summer, I paid under £90 each for M3's - fully fitted, valves, balanced etc at Just Tyres. However, this deal is no longer in place, so I am on the hunt again as I need to replace them again in a few weeks time.
Come on, you guys! Where is the best deal?
The one that I have found so far is Mitcheldever tyres between Basingstoke and Winchester for approx £130 fully fitted. Any advance on that?

windrush
18th December 2006, 15:50
I have already made a comittment to buying the Contis (only tyre that I have EVER bought for my 75 and ZT)
The reason why I am interested in this thread is simply to find out where the best deal for contis lies.
In the Summer, I paid under £90 each for M3's - fully fitted, valves, balanced etc at Just Tyres. However, this deal is no longer in place, so I am on the hunt again as I need to replace them again in a few weeks time.
Come on, you guys! Where is the best deal?
The one that I have found so far is Mitcheldever tyres between Basingstoke and Winchester for approx £130 fully fitted. Any advance on that?

I just broughe four Contis at just tyres in aldershot for £120.00 and in our local paper this week I see that they have slashed their prices (in my case its sods law) cant remember the price but will try and find out:christmas: :new_year:

Aga
18th December 2006, 15:55
Just Tyres price is currently £148.99 for 225 45 R18s (Conti M3) plus 5% on-line discount. Not as attractive (yet) as Micheldever!
I'll keep searching & let you all know!

Aga
19th December 2006, 14:32
Just for your info :-
I picked my Dark Angel up from Longbridge in Sept 2005 and replaced the rear tyres at 15k followed by the fronts at 20k. I then had the 4 wheel laser alignment done a few days afterwards (Just Tyres tried their best to get it straight, but were useless). I have now done over 40k and they still have some life left in them! That means the rears have now done 25k and the fronts 20k and counting.
Just goes to show the effectiveness of the 4 wheel laser alignment!!

Countach
23rd December 2006, 00:13
Hmmmm, Needed a set of four tyres, decided to try the Toyo T-1TR. can't say you'll get the same deal (I was getting a set of wheels/tyres for my kitcar at the same time) but, demon tweeks supplied fitted and balanced a set of 225/45 18" Toyo TR-1's for £478.88 or £119.72each.
BMTR wanted £167 each...
Jonathan

BTW how long do you reckon your tyres last? I've gone through the original contis and a part worn set of Michelin pilotsports in 35000miles...

Aga
2nd January 2007, 23:06
HI Countach
See my post above for miles per tyre!

anglaslt
3rd January 2007, 12:13
Just Tyres price is currently £148.99 for 225 45 R18s (Conti M3) plus 5% on-line discount. Not as attractive (yet) as Micheldever!
I'll keep searching & let you all know!

http://www.blackcircles.com are worth a look. Currently at £128.43 for 225/45 R18 Conti M3s.
Just before Christmas I popped into the local Tyre Plus dealer who first quoted £170 each. When I told him the Black Circle price he did even better at £125.
Tom

Aga
3rd January 2007, 16:36
Just Tyres quotes are fully fitted. Are the ones from Black Circle or is this just delivery?
Also, when you were quoted £125, was that in Lithuania?

Simon
3rd January 2007, 16:45
Blackcircles quote all-in-one prices and also delivery-only prices.

For the moment, if you're a new user on Blackcircles, they will give you a 5% discount :D. I will be going to them when I'ved saved my pennies for a couple of rear tyres. They have quoted me £271.02 (all inclusive with fitting at a local garage) for TWO tyres which includes the 5% discount.

A friend has also used Blackcircles and rates their service very very well:- Large selection of tyres and no hidden extras - what you see is what you pay :lol:)

anglaslt
3rd January 2007, 16:56
Just Tyres quotes are fully fitted. Are the ones from Black Circle or is this just delivery?
Also, when you were quoted £125, was that in Lithuania?

The Black Circle price I quoted is mail order. Fitted they are £141, but if as Simon says there's 5% discount they are a good buy.
I wanted a couple of tyres to bring home with me. They are around £200 each here :mad:
When I was in UK over Christmas I went into the local Tyre Plus dealer (Ebley in Malmesbury, Wilts) who sold me two at £125 each. All he needed was a black circle quote which I printed off the internet. You can find your local Tyre Plus dealer at www.tyreplus.co.uk Maybe worth a call to see if they'll better Black Circle.
Tom

Aga
3rd January 2007, 17:49
Tyre Plus are quoting £138.20 fully fitted. The nearest depot is also about 3 miles froim me, so very convenient.
However, I am REALLY looking for something like the deal I had at Just Tyres 6 months ago - less than £100 fully fitted (actual cost was £90) I realise that I may have to wait until it snows in July, and I cannot wait that long!
It just seems that £560 for new shoes seems a bit excessive (although I will NOT compromise on the quality of the Conti's)
Looks like I am stumped

Andyb123
3rd January 2007, 19:15
Well hi all,

Have just tonight bought two Conti's 'Sports Contact 2 225/45WR17/94W's for £97.87 each, including balance & valves', with vat it came to £229.99. Bought from Hi-Speed Tyres in Wrexham. The last pair I bought were for the front and got them 6 weeks ago from my local K*** F** for £122 each including valves and balancing.

The ride seems to be quieter even noticable on the two mile journey home, will keep speed down for the next fifty mile or so to scrub the tyres in and then will really test them on the Mway at speed.

Not a bad result I hope.

Aga
3rd January 2007, 22:59
My sister lives in Chester, so I go there frequently. Wrexham is not so far away!
Is Hi-Speed Tyres easy to find?

The_Monk
4th January 2007, 11:39
Just had two new front tyres on my ZT for £85 each. They are not michellin(sp?) or continental but the chap reckoned I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and wear wise they are just as good. Of course time will tell. They did sell the continental ones for £120 each. Seeing as I have over spent I needed to save the pennies and took his word on the quality.

The place is called Avenue Tyres in Tysley, Birmingham.

martin1973
5th January 2007, 08:32
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-x-AVON-ZZ3-225-45-18-95Y-2254518-NEW-TYRE_W0QQitemZ180070813165QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9891Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
avons 225 45 18s £101 incl delivery

--
old ebay listing now but you could always contact the tyre depot MAILORDERMOTORSPORT 01524 840044

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280054337372&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

they are in Morecambe which is only 30 minutes from me i got 2 toyo tr1s fitted just before Christmas for £220 and ATS did 2 michelin pilot sports and tracking for £300

Spanky
5th January 2007, 12:38
old ebay listing now but you could always contact the tyre depot MAILORDERMOTORSPORT 01524 840044

[url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280054337372&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

they are in Morecambe which is only 30 minutes from me i got 2 toyo tr1s fitted just before Christmas for £220 and ATS did 2 michelin pilot sports and tracking for £300

I got my full set of 235/40/18 Sportiva's (made by Continental for £338 all in) from there, its Westgate Tyres in Morecambe, I have bought my last 4 sets of tyres (on various vehicles) from there, great service and very reasonably priced, highly recommended.

ROB
9th February 2007, 13:44
Tyre Plus are quoting £138.20 fully fitted. The nearest depot is also about 3 miles froim me, so very convenient.
However, I am REALLY looking for something like the deal I had at Just Tyres 6 months ago - less than £100 fully fitted (actual cost was £90) I realise that I may have to wait until it snows in July, and I cannot wait that long!
It just seems that £560 for new shoes seems a bit excessive (although I will NOT compromise on the quality of the Conti's)
Looks like I am stumped

Hi Aga, in case you are still on the hunt for Conti's at a reasonable price I got 2 new Conti sport contact 225 45 R17 from Micheldever last Saturday for £197 fully fitted for the pair. K*** F** wanted £140 each. Well worth the hours wait to save £83.

Give them another call, they might be a bit closer to that magic £100 per corner figure you are after.

Happy_Shrimper
6th March 2007, 13:05
Well, after realising that the white line on the edge of my tyre wasn't salt marks :SHOCKED: I have booked Event to come and fit 2 Falken FK452s.
In fact, they just came and fitted them while typing.
Turned up in the specified time in fully equiped Event van.
10 minutes later, two new tyres ;)
The drive back to my parking spot - some 5 metres, and the tyres behaved impeccably :D
Will use this mob again! Great convienience and good prices.

Now, the 55 mile drive home will be the first test of these smart looking, highly rated (tyres.com?), but cheaper tyres.

I am not prepared to compromise on tyre quality for price, hence my research beforehand, and the rating they got indicates they are lesser known gems that happen to be a good price.
nearly got some Conti Premium Contacts at the weekend, but wanted to try Event and Falken (and save £50)
Time will tell.

Aga
10th March 2007, 09:40
Just put 4 new Conti M3's 225 45 R18. Cost £589 including fitting, balancing and 4 wheel alignment.
Sadly, had a puncture 3 days later and had to buy another - plumped for a Khumo at £92 and stuck it in the boot for emergencies.
Place I used was ProTyres in Fareham (Hants) - part of the same group as Micheldever tyres.
Paid more than I wanted, but then again, who doesn't?

DavidJ
11th March 2007, 10:38
I have just ordered (they don't have them in stock) 4 Conti M3s 225/45/18 for £520 fully fitted and balanced from Kwik Fit. They price matched the Blackcircles fitted price, and undercut it by 50 pence per tyre LOL.

I am having them fitted next saturday, as I can't get to them during the week. My 2 sub 5000 mile budget tyres are in the for sale section at £50.00 the pair for anyone who needs some really cheap tyres and is prepared to put up with the noise they make.