PDA

View Full Version : V6 crank pulley locking tool

Gary Poulton
29th January 2013, 20:55
I am about to start doing the cambelts on my V6, how neccessary is the crank pulley tool? I know in th past htey have been ok to get off on Citroens I have worked and murder on a Dicscovery. If really needed does anyone know the size of the hexagon in the pulley, as I need to make a tool, and at £80-90 I am not buying, already bought all the other tools and bolts, belts, tensioners, camseals water pump and god know what.

Gary Poulton

2.0 litre KV6

jn12
29th January 2013, 21:03
Hi Gary,

It only comes in handy if the bolt has not previously been really jammed on. You might find you need to use a windy gun to get the bolt loose.

If you get one you can always use it to hold the pulley whilst you tighten the bolt back up. Think it is 160nm.

John

jn12
29th January 2013, 21:09
Gary,

look at this video if you are using the locking tools!

Check the position of your tensioner pulley on its back plate as well before fitting and ensure the allen bolt is tight! do a search on here and you will find some usefull threads

John

T-Cut
29th January 2013, 21:32
How necessary is the crank pulley tool?

Personally I've never read of anyone using this tool before doing the V6 belts. The 22mm bolt will yield to an impact gun if you can access one. I thought there was also a locking pin you can use to hold the flywheel, The well known YouTube video mentions it.

does anyone know the size of the hexagon in the pulley, as I need to make a toolAgain it's never come up in discussions. None of the related sources for the tool divulge the AF sizing. If you really need to make one, use a flat piece of plasticine or similar stuff to make an impression of the pulley face. You can measure the hex from that.

TC

Click4
29th January 2013, 22:31
Personally I've never read of anyone using this tool before doing the V6 belts. The 22mm bolt will yield to an impact gun if you can access one. I thought there was also a locking pin you can use to hold the flywheel, The well known YouTube video mentions it.

Again it's never come up in discussions. None of the related sources for the tool divulge the AF sizing. If you really need to make one, use a flat piece of plasticine or similar stuff to make an impression of the pulley face. You can measure the hex from that.

TC

I normally find, shove gearbox in highest gear, 2nd person puts foot on brake pedal... Hex socket... Not double hex (star pattern) so you are gripping sides rather than corners, and an 18" pry bar. Easy :)

andy willi
30th January 2013, 05:41
22 mm socket and lock the fly wheel outer hole if manual inner hole if auto

hole in flywheel is 7.4 mm

hole in engine casing is 9.6 mm

hope this helps

andy

Gary Poulton
30th January 2013, 17:35
Thanks to everyone who replied, bolt loosned and pulley off ok, I put it in Park and had someone on the brakes. I have read up oin the tensioner bit, and my original tensioner replacement was supplied with a loose allen bolt, makes sense that it should be manually tensioned prior to releasing the spring tension, thats what other cars I have worked have been like.

Thanks again for helpful replies.
Gary Poulton