PDA

View Full Version : Heeeelllpp

eigger
1st February 2013, 06:16
CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE. CDT Auto
Turned the key but nothing happens - silence, engine does not turn over
There is plenty of juice in battery.
everything else works
On two previous occasions I have had a funny noise when turning the key, but after a few turns she would start.
I've tried my spare key - but still the same.
Any Ideas, PLEASE
I hope there is someone about this time of the morning :(

stocktake
1st February 2013, 06:25
If your sure the battery is good then it sounds like the contacts on the starter motor solenoid or the light duty wire that attaches to it that has a poor connection.
If it is the solenoid then it's a replacement from ebay around £14 delivered.

eigger
1st February 2013, 06:34
Thanks Dave, I thought it seemed like a contact problem, I've just had a look in my book to see where the starter motor is - not difficult to get at is it! at least it's not raining so gonna roll me sleeves up and have a go. I'll keep ya posted fingers crossed.

eigger
1st February 2013, 07:07
Talked the rain up didn't I.
Contacts look clean, removed and replaced the light wire before rain started. Found my circuit tester, just hope the rain stops soon.
Dave, have you got a link to one of the solenoids I probably need, or what should I be looking for.

FrenchMike
1st February 2013, 14:13
Hi,

I have it (sorry Dave):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0-CDT-CDTi-STARTER-SOLENOID-REPAIR-KIT-FREE-WEBSITE-HELPLINE-/251219715904?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7ddca740

Good luck

Mike

stocktake
1st February 2013, 14:29
Thanks Mike, had to go out to work ;)

eigger
1st February 2013, 14:51
Thanks Guys, I have just ordered one, paid extra for postage - hoping they dispatch today might get it tomorrow.
Yes I had to go to work too :( Work its such a nuisance sometimes :)

Gary Poulton
1st February 2013, 15:04
I did this on my V6 and it was a lot easier than it looked, the repair kit was cheap as chips and looked good, not sure what its like on the diesel, but it cannot be much worse, so take heart and good liúck.
Gary Poulton

James.uk
1st February 2013, 15:06
It's much easier to get at if you pop the air intake pipe off.. :)

I removed the three screws on the inlet end of the pipe, so now the pipe pops off easily from the concertina bit... :D

stocktake
1st February 2013, 15:12
Again, this is all on the proviso that your battery is good, perhaps an overnight charge would be a good idea as well. ( don't forget the correct shut down procedure for the sat nav if you have it or the radio code if you need it ;) )

eigger
2nd February 2013, 15:07
Easy to remove! WHAT!!! after dodging the rain, sleet, snow and hail I have at last spotted the second bolt to the starter motor!!!!! I don't know how the hell I am gonna get to it, apart from removing the EGR pipe, and even then it looks tight, the earth cable restricts access to the bolt. I might get a mobile mechanic to come and have a go, If I can't get it off tomorrow, (too cold and wet now)
Anyway the Solenoid kit is on its way, so I'll try and arrange a mobile visit when that arrives. Does anyone know someone who could do this in Lowestoft? I'll post this last bit in a new thread too.

James.uk
2nd February 2013, 16:17
No one said it was gonna be easy innit.. lmho... :D:D:D