PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake adjustment

littlened
3rd February 2013, 09:47
Yesterday I put new pads, discs and shoes on the rear. I undid the bolt on the handbrake, and then adjusted each wheel so the handbrake was on. When I went back into the car and lifted the handbrake, the level came all the way up, so I've had the re-tighten the adjuster bolt all the way down again.

I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be the case? any reason why that would happen?

The handbrake is working fine, I'm just concerned now that there's no more room for adjustment on the handbrake lever itself.

pab
3rd February 2013, 09:53
If the rear drums are taken up to biting point, then slackened of a click on each side so they run smoothly, they are considered balanced.

The travel of the Handbrake lever is adjusted by the nut on the end of the cable, this should not exceed 25mm's The cables will not stretch, the compensator itself will and needs replacing to reduce the lever travel

T-Cut
3rd February 2013, 10:04
Have a read of this. It's one of several threads on the modification of the handbrake compensator. It makes the handbrake operate as it was supposed to.

Click: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=104143

438brad
3rd February 2013, 10:05
I remember there was a how-to on doing the handbrake compensator a while back, but it involved cutting the carpet. If I removed the front seats could I change the compensator without cutting the carpet?

pab
3rd February 2013, 10:26
I remember there was a how-to on doing the handbrake compensator a while back, but it involved cutting the carpet. If I removed the front seats could I change the compensator without cutting the carpet?Use the search facility, loads of information on fitting the compensator. The centre console can be elevated enough by removing four fixings to get under the carpet, no need to cut it.

438brad
3rd February 2013, 10:30
Use the search facility, loads of information on fitting the compensator. The centre console can be elevated enough by removing four fixings to get under the carpet, no need to cut it.

Ok thanks. :bowdown:

littlened
3rd February 2013, 10:32
If the rear drums are taken up to biting point, then slackened of a click on each side so they run smoothly, they are considered balanced.

The travel of the Handbrake lever is adjusted by the nut on the end of the cable, this should not exceed 25mm's The cables will not stretch, the compensator itself will and needs replacing to reduce the lever travel

The nut on the handbrake adjustment must be at least 6cm down on mine.

littlened
3rd February 2013, 10:37
Is there a good how to for the compensator?

Where do I get a new compensator?

pab
3rd February 2013, 10:47

Where do I get a new compensator?Use the Search facility ''Handbrake Compensator'' it will bring up loads of information.

Contact Harry M1BYT or Arctic for modified items..

suzublu
3rd February 2013, 10:56

Where do I get a new compensator?
Told you yesterday,Arctic does them on a swap basis :shrug::getmecoat: