PDA

View Full Version : Bumper fitting question

Mischief
3rd February 2013, 17:14
I have found a 2003 MGZT rear bumper the right color with parking sensors on eBay just wondered if this will fit my 2000 Rover 75? its cheaper than re-spraying my bumper.

Regards
John

Arctic
4th February 2013, 02:00
I have found a 2003 MGZT rear bumper the right color with parking sensors on eBay just wondered if this will fit my 2000 Rover 75? its cheaper than re-spraying my bumper.

Regards
John

Hi John.
It will fit but wont it have the colour coded inserts instead of the chrome ones

Trophy Blue Tourer
4th February 2013, 09:29
As its a REAR bumper you can remove the inserts from the MG one and fit your chrome inserts from your Rover bumper!!

HTH?

Andy

Mischief
4th February 2013, 10:14
Hi John.
It will fit but wont it have the colour coded inserts instead of the chrome ones

I assume the chrome strips can be fitted as you can buy them separate? Worth the price either way as it has the chrome exhaust trim :D

Mischief
4th February 2013, 10:15
As its a REAR bumper you can remove the inserts from the MG one and fit your chrome inserts from your Rover bumper!!

HTH?

Andy

That's what i assumed i just wondered if it would fit the car before i purchased it?

Arctic
4th February 2013, 10:48

HTH?

Andy

That's what i assumed i just wondered if it would fit the car before i purchased it?

The fitting should be ok but as i say check on the inserts as on my MG ZT and the BRG one i had the inserts where moulded into the bumper so always best to double check ask the seller Arctic.

Trophy Blue Tourer
4th February 2013, 12:06
The fitting should be ok but as i say check on the inserts as on my MG ZT and the BRG one i had the inserts where moulded into the bumper so always best to double check ask the seller Arctic.

This is as I understand it Steve!:shrug:

The Mk1's - R75 inserts front and rear (removable) - ZT's same rear bumper so removeable inserts however when they introduced the ZT the front bumper being of different design (indicators and fogs/grills etc) they molded it all in one so no (removeable) inserts just the shape!! :( so you can do it on the rears but not the fronts!! - if I could get my pics to upload I could show you mine!!:D

The Mk2's - R75 doesnt have chrome on the bumpers and again as they changed the shape of bits they made the moulds one piece so that the shape of the inserts is there but it's designed to be body colour so no holes or removeable bits (dito the grills I think like the Mk1 ZT front not removeable - at least not just by unscrewing them!!:() this goes for both front and rear on the "facelifts"

When I've worked my way to the front with the chrome replacement I am going to have to think about it!! possibly a chrome "wrap" on the moulded in "insert shape" or I might have a go at cutting the holes out with a dremal or similar!! - still to be decided!! and not going to be attempted until the warmer weathers here!!;):getmecoat:

HTH?

Andy

Mischief
4th February 2013, 12:38
Just sent a question to the seller so will know if its MK1 or 2 soon and if the insert comes out :D

EDIT: it is a MK1 and the strip is removable he believes it is glued on.

Trophy Blue Tourer
4th February 2013, 16:18
Just sent a question to the seller so will know if its MK1 or 2 soon and if the insert comes out :D

EDIT: it is a MK1 and the strip is removable he believes it is glued on.

Nope not glued !:(

Its (they are) held on by clips and thats very obvious from the inside!! - unless he just cant be bothered to look! - or some one has bodged it previously?:shrug: or he hasn't bothered to remove the foam bits:shrug::(

But then you just want the bumper no?? so you wont be bothered about the "inserts" condition as you will be using your chrome ones and the clips from them!!

Andy

Mischief
4th February 2013, 17:00
Nope not glued !:(

Its (they are) held on by clips and thats very obvious from the inside!! - unless he just cant be bothered to look! - or some one has bodged it previously?:shrug: or he hasn't bothered to remove the foam bits:shrug::(

But then you just want the bumper no?? so you wont be bothered about the "inserts" condition as you will be using your chrome ones and the clips from them!!

Andy

Yup will be using my chrome ones so not bothered about the insert on the bumper anyway thanks for the advice will look at getting this on the weekend

Regards
John

Mischief
12th February 2013, 11:06
Bumper arrived :D one problem I didn't count on is my car is a Cowley build so the bottom sills are black the new bumper has colour coded sills :shrug: oh well fitting time and hope no one notices lol

John

Arctic
12th February 2013, 15:21
Bumper arrived :D one problem I didn't count on is my car is a Cowley build so the bottom sills are black the new bumper has colour coded sills :shrug: oh well fitting time and hope no one notices lol

John

Tape the bumper off and spray the lip black job done ;)

Mischief
12th February 2013, 15:22
Tape the bumper off and spray the lip black job done ;)

Looks good as is I may just color code the sill on the front bumper to Match it ;)

Or find a front bumper in MUM pain code with headlight washer jets and fogs ;)