PDA

View Full Version : Problems with ECU

lesleyb
5th February 2013, 21:06
Hi my bf has a Rover 75 diesel 2003 and it recently cut out and refused to start.
A local garage took it and said the main ECU had water damage. They said they knew a guy who would recondition it so we agreed to let him look. He looked and told us what we already knew that the ECU had water damage and wanted £175 for the diagnosis. He also wanted another £300 to recondition it so we paid the £175 and left it at that. :mad:

We then bought a second hand ECU from Motorhog for £75 and this included the ECU, key, barrel, responder and steering arm. The barrel and the steering arm did not fit in the car so the guy fitting it swapped the pin in the keys and fitted the ECU and the responder. When it came to starting the car it is exactly as it was when it had the water damaged ECU in and wouldnt start.
If anyone can advise it would be much appreciated as bf just cant afford to keep throwing money at trying to fix the problem.. :shrug:

marinabrian
5th February 2013, 22:54
Hi my bf has a Rover 75 diesel 2003 and it recently cut out and refused to start.
A local garage took it and said the main ECU had water damage. They said they knew a guy who would recondition it so we agreed to let him look. He looked and told us what we already knew that the ECU had water damage and wanted £175 for the diagnosis. He also wanted another £300 to recondition it so we paid the £175 and left it at that. :mad:

We then bought a second hand ECU from Motorhog for £75 and this included the ECU, key, barrel, responder and steering arm. The barrel and the steering arm did not fit in the car so the guy fitting it swapped the pin in the keys and fitted the ECU and the responder. When it came to starting the car it is exactly as it was when it had the water damaged ECU in and wouldnt start.
If anyone can advise it would be much appreciated as bf just cant afford to keep throwing money at trying to fix the problem.. :shrug:

I certainly can ;)
You should contact BigRuss (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=1792), he's based in Liversedge near Bradford but is mobile and will travel to you.
Failing that, I can test both of your ECM units and give you a no nonsense appraisal of their condition and suitability for reuse.
Sadly of course, I would have been in a position to do this first hand, if only you'd known, and would have had your unit been beyond economical repair, simply transferred the coding from your unit to a service exchange to create a drop in replacement.
And all of this at the worst case scenario, would have been carried out for less than your "inspection" charge :getmecoat:
Brian :D

BigRuss
5th February 2013, 23:12
Sorry to hear of your problems

As Brian says above I'm prepared to travel I'll be able to evaluate the condition of the your ecu's and if there are no other problems should have you running in no time. I should be able to get over this week if convienient to yourself.

Russ

lesleyb
7th February 2013, 21:31
Just want to say a really big thank you to BIG RUSS for coming and sorting our ECU problem and a few other little bits.. You made my OLD MAN happy today and restored his faith in genuine people.. Our only regret is that we didnt find you earlier before a lot of money was wasted on cowboys..

P.S. Chris says "your the man" :D

ps. Thanks to MARINABRIAN also for getting in touch and pointing us in the right direction..:clap:

Thomas
7th February 2013, 21:36
well done Gents on getting another one up and running again :bowdown:

marinabrian
7th February 2013, 21:37
Just want to say a really big thank you to BIG RUSS for coming and sorting our ECU problem and a few other little bits.. You made my OLD MAN happy today and restored his faith in genuine people.. Our only regret is that we didnt find you earlier before a lot of money was wasted on cowboys..

ps. Thanks to MARINABRIAN also for getting in touch and pointing us in the right direction..:clap:

There we go Lesley, told you Russ would get you sorted out ;)
Brian :D

James.uk
8th February 2013, 02:07
We have some very nice people on this forum innit.... :bowdown:

Mike Noc
8th February 2013, 06:03
Sorry to hear of your problems

As Brian says above I'm prepared to travel I'll be able to evaluate the condition of the your ecu's and if there are no other problems should have you running in no time. I should be able to get over this week if convienient to yourself.

Russ

Nice one Russ. What did it turn out to be?

Mike

rathlindri
8th February 2013, 10:54
what a nice story...:bowdown: big russ

BigRuss
8th February 2013, 14:41

Thank you for your kind words and the very welcome cups of coffee much appreciated in this cold weather.

Glad to be of assistance, it was very nice to meet you both too.

Nice one Russ. What did it turn out to be?

Mike

The original ECU had suffered water damage due to blocked plenum drains

The replacement ECU didn't have the matching immobiliser so a service replacement was fitted and enabled as this was the best way to ensure a successful outcome with the least fuss and also to keep costs to a minimum.

Russ