PDA

View Full Version : Urgent

Wayne B
6th February 2013, 12:11
I noticed the water level in my radiator was a bit low, so I decided to top it from a hose pipe. After driving home from brothers workshop I noticed the engine starting to get rather hot. Could this be caused by an air lock in the system. If so, how do I get the air out.

Regards,

Wayne.

Dominic22
6th February 2013, 12:27
Sounds like the thermostat could be a likely cause. If you take the engine cover off, shine a light in he V of the engine and see if you can see pink staining where the coolant would be leaking.

It might be an airlock but the losing water would likely be the thermostat on a V6. If not the cap might need the seals changing but check thermostat first.

Wayne B
6th February 2013, 12:51
Ok, thanks for reply. I will take the cover off & check but it was running fine before I topped up the water. If the the thermostat is leaking then its a job that I will have to do.

I also noticed that there was no hot air coming from the heater.

Wayne. :mad:

SD1too
6th February 2013, 12:56
I noticed the water level in my radiator was a bit low ... I noticed the engine starting to get rather hot.
Wayne,

We need more information.

Can you explain what "a bit low" means? Could you see the 'Min' marker inside the expansion tank? Was the tank empty? How much water did you add?

How did you know that the engine was hot? What was the temperature gauge reading? Did you look at the digital coolant temperature display? Was the radiator fan running?

Finally, has any work been done on your cooling system recently?

Simon

Wayne B
6th February 2013, 13:05
Hi Simon,

I looked in the tank & couldn't see any water. I topped up with seemed like a couple of pints from a hose pipe.

The temperature gauge started to go up & when I got home I noticed a bit of steam coming from under the bonnet. I took a look & could hear what sounded like the water boiling in the bottom of the radiator & the fan was running

I eventually took the cap off & started the engine again & it sounded as if the tank was trying to spit the water back out, that's why I asked about the air block.

Wayne

SD1too
6th February 2013, 14:15
That's a lot of coolant to have lost. You need to look for the source of the leak first. There's not much point in bleeding the system if air can re-enter via a leak. As has been said already, remove the engine cover and shine a torch into the 'V' to look for pink powdery deposits.

Simon

Singvogel
6th February 2013, 15:37
I don't know when you added the signature line about Stirling Moss - but I saw the TV programme too.

What a garage full of wonderful machines he has.

I'm jealous.

Singvogel.

Wayne B
6th February 2013, 15:59
Simon,

I'll take the cover off tomorrow & report back to you with the findings, but could an air block have caused my symptoms after I topped up with water.

Wayne