PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise

advinnie
6th February 2013, 17:29
Hi all yet another problem. Right this time there is a grinding nosie coming from the front right wheel area. You only hear it when you do a tight right for example like when your at a T junction and turnning right and it only seems to happen once or twice when the cars been sat still for a few hours once you've done a few 100 meters it will not happen again till you leave the car still for a few hour. It only happens when turning right ive never heard the noise whilst turning left. Any ideas

T-Shirt
6th February 2013, 17:47
Could possibly be a drive shaft bearing

advinnie
6th February 2013, 18:29
Drive shaft bearing got any idea how much that will cost?

pernix
6th February 2013, 18:33
check the brake pads...if there very thin the noise can be the metal edge of the pad catching the disc.

T-Shirt
6th February 2013, 18:43
Drive shaft bearing got any idea how much that will cost?

Not sure mate, I've never done one on a 75.

Without actually hearing the noise, its hard to tell what it could be. It might even be something as simple as part of the plastic inner wing might be rubbing on the tyre on full lock.

advinnie
6th February 2013, 18:50
Just checked the brake pads and they are nice and thick.
Checked inner wing and there doesn't seem to be any rub marks on it but there ant much room between the back of the wheel and the inner wing on the right hand side only enough to get my fingers in, but there seems to be a lot more room between the left hand wheel and inner wing. I will have to look into it a bit more tomorrow

carpy
6th February 2013, 19:15
:getmecoat:

shadowfax
6th February 2013, 22:53
check its not the plates at the back. just changed the disks on a different car, and the rear plates behind the disks were so close they touched. dosent take much of a knock to move or bend them either

advinnie
7th February 2013, 05:43
Ok will check the plates out today and let you know later

advinnie
7th February 2013, 14:48
Hi all right ive checked the brake back plates and they are clear jack the car up and theres no play at all on the wheel, the wheels spin freely with no noise or signs of wheel bearings failing there is plenty of clearance between the wheels and inner arch and no signs of wear to the cv joints or drive shafts.

advinnie
7th February 2013, 15:00
Right I can definitely say when it makes the grinding noise now, it is when you try to pull away after the car has sat for a few hours it will make the nosie in 1st and reverse but only for about 10 metres or so. The more I listen to it the more im starting to think it may be coming from the rear but not sure.

T-Cut
7th February 2013, 19:34
I believe first and reverse gears are different types from the rest. I think they're straight cut teeth versus spiral teeth, as I recall. Anyway, they're noisier gears due to this. So, you have to wonder whether this is a lubrication issue. Maybe the gearbox oil level has dropped and on standing these gears don't have sufficient lubrication until it's all been stirred up a bit. Soo, maybe check the oil level in the gearbox?

TC

advinnie
7th February 2013, 19:36
Will do that tomorrow

Petetourer
7th February 2013, 19:40
Not Saying it is, but as a suggestion.... Could it be a clutch release bearing on it way out :shrug:

(Prepares for theory to be shot down:getmecoat::D)

advinnie
7th February 2013, 20:07
Dont say that. You going to the meet this weekend?

Petetourer
7th February 2013, 21:56
I will be there mate ;)

I am sure a few of us can take a look and advise on a possible cause mate... :)

advinnie
8th February 2013, 05:28
Cheers see you on sunday

advinnie
9th February 2013, 20:12
right got an update for you there is two noises the grinding one i have sorted well for now any way. it was due to the rear hand brake pads not releasing properly or had a lip no them. i drove about ten yards ish with the hand brake part on to bed the pads in a bit and now the noise has gone total gone all tho i do need my hand brake adjusted or new pads fitted cause i had noticed a few weeks ago that the hand brake was starting to fail to hold the car still on a hill. the other noise is def coming from the front of the car and it is something to do with the clutch or gaerbox cause it will only happen when the car is cold and only when the clutch starts to engage.

pernix
9th February 2013, 20:18
i wasn't too far out all the way back in post 4 then...............LOL

advinnie
9th February 2013, 20:26
i wasn't too far out all the way back in post 4 then...............LOL

Ok no need to show off :bowdown:

pernix
9th February 2013, 20:53
Just glad you found out what it was.............