PDA

View Full Version : Hel With Disc Pad Sensor Wires?

Simon W
7th December 2006, 11:14
My (non-MGR) front disc pads have just arrived. Two of the four pads have a brass-coloured clip riveted on the rear of the pad. Each clip has three 'prongs'.

Are these clips for the sensor wires or are they spring clips for positioning the pad within the caliper?

If the latter, where do the sensor wires connect?

NB. My rear pads, which are MGR parts, have similar brass-coloured clips - they're exactly the same shape as the non-MGR ones but smaller in size.

scooter
7th December 2006, 11:55
The spring clips locate the pad on the piston in the caliper one each side.

Simon W
7th December 2006, 12:25
The spring clips locate the pad on the piston in the caliper one each side.

Scooter - where do the sensor wires attach to the pads then?

raykay
7th December 2006, 12:41
The sensors clip into the 'U' shaped slot in the centre of the long side of the pad, one sensor in one pad in the front off side, one in the rear offside.

Simon W
7th December 2006, 13:00
Thanks Ray, that explains it.

I was looking for some sort of electrical connector on the pad!

Am I right in assuming that when the pads need replacing, part of the sensor will actually hit the spinning brake disc and thus make an electric circuit?

raykay
7th December 2006, 14:04
Not quite, the sensor has a plastic tip which is worn away with the pad. In the tip is a wire loop, which is also worn away, as it does so the circuit through the loop is broken and the warning light is turned on. If the warning light has come on, the sensor must be replaced, if you are replacing the pads before the warning light has come on, you can re use the old one, but they often break when you try to remove them or re fit them so it is as well to replace it as well.

Simon W
7th December 2006, 14:33
Not quite, the sensor has a plastic tip which is worn away with the pad. In the tip is a wire loop, which is also worn away, as it does so the circuit through the loop is broken and the warning light is turned on. If the warning light has come on, the sensor must be replaced, if you are replacing the pads before the warning light has come on, you can re use the old one, but they often break when you try to remove them or re fit them so it is as well to replace it as well.

Great explanation Ray. :lol:

Thanks again.

Simon