PDA

View Full Version : Rover 1.8 non start

roverman68
8th February 2013, 20:30
Well after a good few weeks of happy motoring my 2003 75 1.8 t has refused to start one morning. So after some searching I came across the loose fuel filter problem. We'll I took a look at the filter under the seat and sure enough it had worked loose, so I tightened it back up and fitted the orange clip.
But after doing that it still refused to start, the pump runs and stops as it should, so I removed the fuel pipe at the inlet manifold turned on the ignition and no fuel came out also removed the pipe on top of the filter and opened the one way valve and still no fuel came out when the pump was running.
So I am stumped, do I need to dismantle the filter to check the seels? As there is no pressure at all. Engine cranks fine and will fire with easy start.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

SD1too
9th February 2013, 08:36
Neil,

People that have had the same experience as you say that it's very difficult to refit the two halves of the filter housing satisfactorily. Apparently it might look o.k., but isn't. I believe that there's a seal involved which can be distorted during reassembly.

Simon

Astraeus
9th February 2013, 10:59
Neil,

People that have had the same experience as you say that it's very difficult to refit the two halves of the filter housing satisfactorily. Apparently it might look o.k., but isn't. I believe that there's a seal involved which can be distorted during reassembly.

Simon

Agree with above. It only needs to be out a tiny amount and instead of delivering fuel to the engine under the correct pressure it sends it back into tank. Take it out, check it very carefully and put it back together again. Hopefully that will sort it.

Chris

T-Cut
9th February 2013, 14:14
The same thing happened when I did the FOC job. The engine still refused to start. I had to dismantle the filter module again and discovered the rubber oring had distorted. I think it's a single use part, so the best fix is to replace the ring. Unfortunately, it only comes with the filter element kit which costs a silly amount.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/filterkit001.jpg

roverman68
9th February 2013, 16:52
Thanks for all your replies
Well I have opened up the module about 3 times now. The small or ring seal is seated correctly in the top half of the unit and am I right in assuming that the large seal fits to the lower part of the top of the unit before re assembly.
I did try to see if fuel would come out with the module was apart, the pump was running but no fuel was entering the module, but does the module need to be assembled for it to have fuel pump into it.
Is there any fitting pictures of the seal or instructions
Thanks again

Neil