PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Timing Belt Question **URGENT HELP REQ **

ScotSilver1987
8th February 2013, 21:06
Evening all,

Just another question, so I was wondering if anyone would help me on this one:

1.) What purpose do the secondary belts do for the running of the car? i.e: What do they drive?

2.) Also the Haynes manual mentions about using a flat bar around 3mm thick & 48 mm wide, a pin in 10 mm in diameter & 100 mm in length. Anyone know how they could work around this or possibly use the next best thing?

Cheers,

RN3212
8th February 2013, 22:57
The secondary belts are used to drive the Exhaust Cams via the Inlet Cams.As far as the tapered pin is concerned,you do'nt need it.Line up the Sprocket and push it onto the shaft.As far as the flat bar is concerned-you need a flat piece of metal that fits into the slot on the end of the Cam and a Vice Grips will do to turn the Cam back into position cos it turns slightly when you take off the belt.

ScotSilver1987
9th February 2013, 07:17
Pat thanks for your reply on that one.

I must be honest the Haynes manual is mentioning things like removing the spark plugs, draining the oil & Air conditioning unit - all stuff that I am trying to work around.

mh007
9th February 2013, 09:16
You will lose some oil as you need to remove the dipstick tube (just as well drain it & change the oil filter while you're there)
You do not need to discharge the A/C system as the compressor can be moved out of the way with pipes connected.

RN3212
9th February 2013, 12:47
The only reason for removing the spark plugs is to make it easier to turn the engine.There's no need to discharge the AC as the pipes allow the unit to be moved out of the way.Take things slowly and be methodically and you'll get there no problem.