PDA

View Full Version : rover 75 problems need quick help

MaxK
9th February 2013, 23:23
Dear people,

I r

Recently i bought a rover 75 2.5 liter v6 with a automatic automatic gearbox. The problem is when i turn the key you hear a click noise and the engine wont turn on, sometimes it starts immediatly and sometimes it takes 2-5 times before it starts does it have to do with the starting motor is it the battery? Also where is the starting engine located? Because i maybe want to replace it myself. Pictures or any explanation would be appreciated!

Regards,
Max

wuzerk
10th February 2013, 07:00
A click would usually be the starter solonoid operating. If this happened every time it would suggest that the solonoid is not connecting the battery to the starter motor or that the starter motor is faulty. However, it does not happen every time so you might just have a poor contact between the battery and the starter motor. So check and clean the battery connection to chassis and battery lead to the solonoid.

MaxK
10th February 2013, 08:03
Is this a common problem with these cars? And how should i fix it if your suggestion didn't worked? Also can you tell me where the starter motor is located and what it takes to replace it? I found an used one on eBay for 24 pounds, is that reliable?

chrissyboy
10th February 2013, 08:38
try a jump start sounds like the battery to me .not forgetting to fit the eart to the metal of the engine never put the earth to the batterys earth,if the car starts with a jump start then that will rule out the starter motor an proving it is the battery that has had it .

MSS
10th February 2013, 08:44
The first thing to do is to fully charge the battery and then start the daignosis if the problems still persists.

Or try jump start as the previous poster suggests.

MaxK
10th February 2013, 09:32
Ok thanks guy, i will try a.s.a.p. Does anyone know where i can find the start motor? Thats the only thing left i want to know!

brianw
10th February 2013, 12:41
It could be that you need one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0-2-5-V6-KV6-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-STARTER-SOLENOID-REPAIR-KIT-/251225570513

If your connections from the battery to the starter are all ok then the click could be the solenoid throwing but due to worn solenoid contacts the power is not getting through to starter motor itself.
Much cheaper that new starter motor. :)
Not sure on starter removal on V6 though.
Hopefully someone will be along shortly who is clued up on them.
Good luck.

brianw
10th February 2013, 12:47
Forgot to add
When you try starting make sure that the headlights are not flashing as you do so. If they are then don't persist in trying to start the car - read this thread:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106447

Hope you get it sorted.

MaxK
10th February 2013, 14:27
Does nobody have any clue or anything to tell me where the start motor is located? I really need this info!!!!

RN3212
10th February 2013, 14:32
Disconnect the air pipes from the Throttle body and pull up the Air Filter Box and you'll see the starter.

BigRuss
10th February 2013, 14:34
The starter on the V6 auto is located on top of the gearbox underneath the battery tray ;)
As above remove the airbox and intake pipe work to the throttle body and you'll see it
Russ

VMax1000
10th February 2013, 14:57
Maybe it's me but if you can't locate a starter motor, why try to repair it yourself:shrug:

Wayne B
10th February 2013, 17:34
I repaired my starter solenoid last Wednesday. It took about 45 minutes & I wasn't rushing. Once the starter is off its quite self explanatory. There is a 'how to' on here that will help you out.

Wayne

MaxK
10th February 2013, 19:06
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you have an link to that How to tutorial?

Thanks in advance,
Max.

chrissyboy
10th February 2013, 19:31
why are you taking the starter out when you not traced a problem to it . jump start the car or recharge the battery first as i dont believe the car has a starter issue .

bl52krz
10th February 2013, 22:56
It could be that you need one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0-2-5-V6-KV6-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-STARTER-SOLENOID-REPAIR-KIT-/251225570513

If your connections from the battery to the starter are all ok then the click could be the solenoid throwing but due to worn solenoid contacts the power is not getting through to starter motor itself.
Much cheaper that new starter motor. :)
Not sure on starter removal on V6 though.
Hopefully someone will be along shortly who is clued up on them.
Good luck.
Dont know if it is relevant, but Maxk has a Rover STERLING? And yes it more likely than not the contacts in the solenoid. Easy job to do on the diesel Rover 75, 1 hour max.

SD1too
11th February 2013, 08:21
... Maxk has a Rover STERLING?
He says it is a 75 2.5 V6 in his first post. His location suggests he is not in the UK which might explain the Sterling reference.
why are you taking the starter out when you not traced a problem to it . jump start the car or recharge the battery first ...
:iagree:
Rule out the battery before dismantling anything.

Simon

MaxK
11th February 2013, 12:02
Hi everyone,

I just tried the suggestions you guys gave me, no the jump start didn't work and the problem still perceeded, also the battery was fully charged no difference, so we still assume it's the starter motor. Anyone else an idea what it could be? :shrug:

Gary Poulton
11th February 2013, 17:57
I had this on my V6 2.0 about £15 for an excellent repair kit from ebay, the job looks imposssible, but is easy, remove battery box/tray and all will be revealed. took me about an hour, but I was not in a hurry!

Gary Poulton

NigelOBB
11th February 2013, 18:00
Have you read this thread http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1218189#post1218189

brianw
11th February 2013, 21:49
As you seem to have eliminated the battery and I presume checked connections to the starter. I would suggest that you try the solenoid repair kit (Link was to V6 kit) Full instructions come with the kit. You can also view them by following the link from the ebay listing for the kit.