PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel leak

Dogcairn
10th February 2013, 08:19
hi i seem to have a fuel leak, when i put £40 of fuel in yesterday when tank was empty i noticed when i got home that there was a trail of diesel behind me, also when i pulled away for the curb there was a puddle, hard to tell how much fuel there has been leaking as it had been raining, the puddles were at the drivers side rear wheel, has anyone any ideas what it may be

MSS
10th February 2013, 08:21
Have a look at and round the diesel cooler - which looks like a mini radiator - under the driver's side rear wheel arch.

mikesmith2
10th February 2013, 08:43
They only tend to leak when the engine is running as the diesel is under pressure from the engine going back to the tank.

Hopefully it's a clip or pipe that's the problem.

New coolers are no longer made or available and they are at least £120 used.

Synchromesh
10th February 2013, 09:29
Mine leaked where the pipe attached to the cooler. I left the pipes and original clips alone and added new clips next to the originals. It hasn't leaked since then and that was about 2 years ago.

Billy1mate
10th February 2013, 09:38
There is a secondhand one on EBay.

Chas2008
10th February 2013, 10:59
Mine leaked where the pipe attached to the cooler. I left the pipes and original clips alone and added new clips next to the originals. It hasn't leaked since then and that was about 2 years ago.

Where did you get the new clips?

Chas

Synchromesh
10th February 2013, 18:04
Where did you get the new clips?

Chas
They were in a big box of clips in my garage that I have collected over the years. They were smooth where the band overlaps near the screw. They were not Jubilee. Jubilee are quite good in larger sizes but in small sizes the step near the screw sometimes compromises the seal.

DoubleDiamond
10th February 2013, 18:23
I had a fuel leak on my new (to me last November) 04 ZT-CDTi. That too was at the back. The garage replaced the fuel hoses and all seems well now. They had to partially drop the tank to do this though and replace a seal too - with a landrover part which is aparently identical to the orignal MGR one.

HTH