PDA

View Full Version : Engine Disabled Message Flashed Up

Chris Thompson
10th February 2013, 10:45
Hi Guys...Would appreciate your thoughts on the following.
I have had the 75 back from the garage nearly 2 weeks now after having the EWS replaced and keys programmed to the EWS. The electronic problems and eventual engine disabled was related to EWS flooding caused by a blocked sunroof drain. I also had the glow plug replaced...not sure whether this is related. The car has been running fine, however this morning the Engine Disabled Message came up momentarily although the car is running fine...is this likely to be a blip or could it be a warning that something is still wrong or that the computer is having problems recognising the keys...as of 12 days ago all electronic areas were dry...Thanks...Chris

chrissyboy
10th February 2013, 15:14
Hi Guys...Would appreciate your thoughts on the following.
I have had the 75 back from the garage nearly 2 weeks now after having the EWS replaced and keys programmed to the EWS. The electronic problems and eventual engine disabled was related to EWS flooding caused by a blocked sunroof drain. I also had the glow plug replaced...not sure whether this is related. The car has been running fine, however this morning the Engine Disabled Message came up momentarily although the car is running fine...is this likely to be a blip or could it be a warning that something is still wrong or that the computer is having problems recognising the keys...as of 12 days ago all electronic areas were dry...Thanks...Chris

was the sun roof drains unblocked ? if not then it might be t start of it hsappening all over again

Chris Thompson
10th February 2013, 18:14
Hi Chrissyboy...yes the drains were unblocked and opened out to prevent reoccuring...I miss the old cars with little or no electronics!

chrissyboy
10th February 2013, 19:56
Hi Chrissyboy...yes the drains were unblocked and opened out to prevent reoccuring...I miss the old cars with little or no electronics!

i would pm either marinabrian or big russ as they are the ecm boys on here im sure their have an accuate answer as to what may be the problem you can also send the ecm to them for them to check and repair if needed .very good with their prices too and the quick service they give.

sworks
10th February 2013, 20:36
Sometimes if you turn the key too quickly in the ignition this fault can be seen I believe

Canonite
10th February 2013, 21:05
Sometimes if you turn the key too quickly in the ignition this fault can be seen I believe

Ive had this too, turn the key two clicks then give it a second or two before going for the third position. Trying it too quickly means the transponder in the fob hasnt been identified in time and leaves the engine immobilised as a precaution.

marinabrian
10th February 2013, 21:23
Ah but what the OP hasn't said here is the EWS as fitted to his car is an EWS4 , and not the standard EWS3.
Now I've had a couple of experiences with this version of the immobiliser, notably where a replacement lockset and immobiliser was supplied special order from BMW via X-Part.
The EWS4 was unable to be paired with the DDE4 ecm with standard T4 diagnostics, nor the transponders read using my key making equipment.
The result was, the total reprogramming of a virgin EWS3 two transponders programmed, and coded correctly to the car, not an ideal situation as the person who's car I was working on, had paid over £400 for the lockset/EWS4.
Imagine his delight when I told him his car was running, tempered by the extra outlay for my input :)
Brian :D

Chris Thompson
11th February 2013, 06:26
Thankyou for the posts.
Brian...thanks again...as per our PM would you still recommend waiting and seeing what happens?...or do you think that it is probable that it is the start of problems. Do you think that it is possible that it could be the key turning too quickly that has confused the EWS4 and this could happen with any version of the EWS?
Cheers...Chris

marinabrian
11th February 2013, 07:03
Thankyou for the posts.
Brian...thanks again...as per our PM would you still recommend waiting and seeing what happens?...or do you think that it is probable that it is the start of problems. Do you think that it is possible that it could be the key turning too quickly that has confused the EWS4 and this could happen with any version of the EWS?
Cheers...Chris

Wait and see seems to be the order of the day here Chris, after all if it's not broken don't fix it :)
Brian :D

Chris Thompson
11th February 2013, 09:31
Thankyou...will keep you updated...Cheers...Chris

sworks
11th February 2013, 19:58
Didn't realise there was EWS 3and 4 Brian :bowdown: