PDA

View Full Version : changing auto gear knob ?

Stickman
10th February 2013, 14:21
is it possible to change the gear knob on an auto cdt WITHOUT removing the knob with the shaft attached ? I have an item removed from a beemer (e39) in walnut finish. I was thinking surely you can insert a butter knife under the switch to dismantle the switch from the shaft then swap over the knobs - refit the switch etc ? am I missing something - is there a reason why the how to states the method is to pull out the knob with the shaft and then swap over the shaft(s) and refit !
regards and thx in advance
chris

Rick-sta
10th February 2013, 14:51
Hi Chris,

Its much easier to change the auto gear knob over with the shaft attached. You could probably try and remove it without removing the shaft with it but I don't think it'll be easy at that angle.

I changed my auto gear knob over for a full walnut one from a BMW too, probably the same as yours. I just pulled the gear knob off with the shaft (takes a good tug and be careful it comes off suddenly), got a thin flat screw driver and prised out the button which released the Rover's shaft from the old gear knob. I then put the rover's shaft into the new BMW gear knob, clicked the button back in and then fitted it back on. Job done :}

I guess it's just easier to do with she shaft removed.

Good luck,
Rick

Rick-sta
10th February 2013, 14:53
also, here's a link to a thread I posted on this back when I was changing my gear knob.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=126653

Stickman
11th February 2013, 16:08
thx rick 4 yr advice m8. I've managed to get the shaft out now - for the benefit of others trying this mod I think I found out where I was going wrong ! i'll endeavour to explain - to remove the knob (complete with the shaft) from the bmw you need to have the car in neutral + then give the gearknob a firm snatch to release it from it's seat. when I tried the same method on the rover it wouldn't budge !
having then read ricks thread I tried again but with the car parked and in 2nd gear - hey presto the gearstick came out quite easily with the first attempt ! well pleased I now have a pukka walnut gearknob + for the measly sum of £5 from my local scrappy

Rick-sta
16th February 2013, 12:13
Your welcome :}

Glad to hear you're really pleased with the results! and £5 is a real bargain, paid a lot more for mine. Well done there ! :}