PDA

View Full Version : Abs

redbenson111
10th February 2013, 16:50
My ABS warning light has startrd to come on.
My speedo and cruise control are working ok so can I assume that the problem lies in the rear sensors?
Is there any way of telling if the problem lies in the sensor or the hub?
Any help would be appreciated.

David Lawrence
10th February 2013, 17:20
My speedo and cruise control are working ok so can I assume that the problem lies in the rear sensors?

mind if I ask the age and mileage of your car? There have been quite a few of these popping up in recent weeks including mine which is a 2001 and 151,000 miles. My light came on after working on the handbrake then went off again, the theory is there is dirt or rust or something getting down between the reluctor ring and the sensor.

Need to wait for the light to come back on again to work out which wheel it is, but I'd bet its the one I've been working on.

Wayne B
10th February 2013, 17:26
Mines coming on & going off quite often. It appears more in the damp weather & disappears when it dries up.

Wayne :shrug:

redbenson111
10th February 2013, 17:41
My car is a CDT and is the same age as yours - 2001, but has slightly higher mileage - 280,000 !!! but otherwise still going strong.

Yam
10th February 2013, 20:36
I have just started getting a intermittent ABS on the dash.
Comes and goes......have removed all sensors...checked cleaned, checked for damage ect....cannot see anything.
T4 session required to target which corner is causing problem.
btw....
My car has only done 26k...and lived all its life in a garage untill I got her last June...
one of those things...the more modern cars get.

Yam.

carlpenn
10th February 2013, 20:42
A quick way to identify the issue is:

Buy a new rear sensor and then connect it to each rear wheel sensor in turn. Once connected, switch Ignition on, if light goes out, then thats the Faulty sensor. If light goes out, but comes on when driving, it will be either a Hub or you have not pushed the sensor in far enough.

My Sensor was 1mm out and kept throwing the ABS light on when moving, but would go off if I unplugged it and reconnected it :shrug:

The Sensors are under the Carpet in the Boot and a bit awkward to get too, be careful as they are only thin wires on the Loom side :)

The ABS Self Tests at ignition on, so if it comes on and goes off, then comes on when driving, it is due to a signal from teh Hub end. So could be a faulty hub Ring or just a weak reading - They are magnetic iirc and I have been told can fade over time (Not sure how true that is though)

However in the event of intermittent Light on - Not 100% on why that would happen.

Sensors are only about £20 ish on teh Bay, so not a dear thing to replace tbh - I replaced all four of mine for the sake of it :p

trikey
10th February 2013, 20:43
You need marinabrian and his T4, it will tell you excatly where the fault lies.

Yam
10th February 2013, 20:51
Will get mine 'pinpointed' at the next Nano Meet all being well.

Yam.

marinabrian
11th February 2013, 23:21
I can look into the ABS ECU to see what fault codes lie within, and also look at live data from the ABS.

You need marinabrian and his T4, it will tell you excatly where the fault lies.
Well Ian, all you need do is P.M. me a contact number, and we'll see what your car has to say for itself.
We can have an ABS "femto" meet at MOFO's place at New Kyo ;)

Brian :D

David Lawrence
22nd February 2013, 16:02
Here was the cause of my ABS light. The face of the sensor has disappeared.

I'm guessing that flakes of rust have got trapped between the reluctor wheel and the backplate and gradually sanded the face of the sensor down.

Replaced it today, also the reluctor on the hub was grooved so replaced the hub. Had the brake shoes off, wire brushed and sanded the backplate then repainted with dinitrol rust converter before putting everything back.

ABS light now off.

Yam
23rd February 2013, 10:32
I have had all 4 sensors off and to be fair they looked fine.
A bit of rust, ect actually inside the hole where the sensor sits, so I sprayed with WD40 poked a light rag in there and keep rotating until clean ect.
Still have ABS problem.
Mine varies......sometimes in comes on after about 10mins.....I might get a pulsing through the pedal, as if the ABS is coming on.
Sometimes it comes on whilst sitting on the motorway at 70mph.
Other times it comes on and stays on after starting the car.
My car seems to run slightly 'rougher' once the ABS light has come on.

All my actual sensors / cables look fine.
My car has only done 26k, and been garage kept until I got it last June...so I'd be surpried if its a Wheelbearing issue....

I will wait until the upcoming Nano meet and get it pinpointed via a T4 so I can resolve it.
That way it won't be trial and error.....Plus I am working In Germany for a short while so I ain't got the time too look.

Will let you know when I have sorted it.

Yam.