PDA

View Full Version : Rear light cluster seal

macafee2
11th February 2013, 09:30
One of my rear light clusters on my cdt Saloon is filling up with water. Am I better getting a new seal or getting some neoprene, may be 5mm or 6mm and making a pair? How thick are the orignals? Its not the cost, it is which is likley to seal better and last?

thnaks
macafee2

pab
11th February 2013, 09:41
Remove both gaskets, swap them across the car. wash them both and allow to dry, super glue the joint together if it has come apart. Apply a thin coat of Vaseline to the gasket, refit and don't over tighten the bolts.

MangoMan
11th February 2013, 10:03
In the first instance I would go with Pab's suggestion as even just removal and a good clean can do the job as they get covered in crud and go hard - but just in case, you can get new ones at Rimmer's: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XFH100401

Ciao

macafee2
11th February 2013, 10:48
Pab, thank you. Not quite the reply I expected :) It will have to wait till the weekend, its snowing at the moment. wash, dry, glue, vaseline, got it.

In the event they are too damaged to save, replace with ones from rimmers or make my own from 5 or 6mm neoprene?

Do the originals ever leak due to being too thin and not being able to make a good seal
macafee2

MangoMan
11th February 2013, 11:05
Do the originals ever leak due to being too thin and not being able to make a good seal
macafee2

No, they leak because of what I said in my post....

macafee2
11th February 2013, 11:40
ok thanks Mangoman
macafee2

AldoR
11th February 2013, 19:43
One of my rear light clusters on my cdt Saloon is filling up with water. Am I better getting a new seal or getting some neoprene, may be 5mm or 6mm and making a pair? How thick are the orignals? Its not the cost, it is which is likley to seal better and last?

thnaks
macafee2
Ian i had the same with my 75 this week this is another option, i have used draft excluder tape from B&Q FOR £5.95 and it has worked

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/aldov6/007_zps8880322e.jpg

macafee2
11th February 2013, 19:51
I have some in the garage sommewhere I'm sure, thanks Aldo for the suggestion. I'll go for the wash and swop, if that does not work I'll go with your idea and if all else fails.... I'll have to spend some money
macafee2

pab
11th February 2013, 19:52
In all honesty before making any modifications to the light gaskets, I would try the remedy I have given in my earlier post.

These seals are not cheap, silicone or any other product could damage the still very serviceable item.

I have used the method on numerous occasions and has always proved successful.

MangoMan
11th February 2013, 19:55
Please don't get me wrong, but I understand coming up with good ideas to rectify problems and to improvise - but I don't understand this measure when the correct parts are readily available, (if cleaning doesn't do the job) and not costing the earth either....??

MrDoodles
11th February 2013, 19:58
Please don't get me wrong, but I understand coming up with good ideas to rectify problems and to improvise - but I don't understand this measure when the correct parts are readily available, (if cleaning doesn't do the job) and not costing the earth either....??

Me neither Bill, but each to their own! :shrug:

pab
11th February 2013, 20:02
Me neither Bill, but each to their own! :shrug:Why replace a serviceable item, simply follow what I recommended in the earlier post and save a few quid..Simple.

MangoMan
11th February 2013, 20:11
That is why I said, "if cleaning doesn't do the job"......................... Which I know personally does as I had a slight leak on my offside one, and a removal, clean & replace had the desired effect! If not, I would have bought a new one. Rather that than run the risk of disturbing the other side, (to swap over) that you know doesn't leak.

And of course the main thing is to NOT over-tighten the securing nuts!

pab
11th February 2013, 20:17
That is why I said, "if cleaning doesn't do the job"......................... Which I know personally does as I had a slight leak on my offside one, and a removal, clean & replace had the desired effect! If not, I would have bought a new one. Rather that than run the risk of disturbing the other side, (to swap over) that you know doesn't leak.Very true Bill, it's only a recommendation. If members want to purchase them new for surety, it's their choice

Arctic
12th February 2013, 00:25
Remove both gaskets, swap them across the car. wash them both and allow to dry, super glue the joint together if it has come apart. Apply a thin coat of Vaseline to the gasket, refit and don't over tighten the bolts.

As above clean glue staple and vasline them personlly i used silicon to seal mine to the body but the above works great :bowdown:

MSS
12th February 2013, 07:21
Something to ber in mind when deciding on 'repair vs new'.

The new seals are an improved design - cut from a single piece of denser foam so no join to come apart in the future.

Having fitted two, I expect them to last the life of the car.

Maninder.