PDA

View Full Version : '99 75 Boot lid handle

biggles
5th January 2008, 23:06
Hi all,

I need a complete boot lid handle for my '99 75 saloon. I have found a few at swedish breakers in varying shape and production year. The nicest one seem to be coming off a '05 75 but there was also one that might be in OK shape from a '01. Anyone here who knows if there are changes in the designe of the boot lid between a '99, '01 or '05 (which is facelift)?

Background:

The boot lid handle on my 75 has been a bit loose since I got it but recently it got worse and one of the plate lights also failed. I took the car to somewhere warm and went about fastening the screws that I mistakingly thought were responsible.

I was not entirely wrong: At least one nut was completely missing of the four that secures the handle to the lid and of the other three only the leftmost one actually seemed to be tight. This has probably caused a lot of bending action to the handle assembly which after inspection showed to be in a miserable shape with a lot of the load-bearing internal plastic(!) stuff cracked to a point where the cast-in bolts had broken loose. Once I have managed to get it off the lid (see below) I will se if it can be fixed with liberal application of epoxy but I doubt it...

As a warning to anyone trying to remove the handle: The handle has four bolts which are cast into the plastic parts of the handle. These bolts protrude some 20 mm on the inside of the boot lid and onto these bolts there are nuts to fasten the handle to secure the handle to the lid. I could get to the two inner bolts by using a 8 mm ring spanner but for the outer one you will need an extra long 8 mm wrench socket that can get to the nut despite the protruding bolt.

I didn't have such a socket at the time so right now the handle is still on the car (with the help of some duct tape). :)