PDA

View Full Version : Bad Habit/Ashtray light

Dragon
20th December 2006, 12:23
Hi all,

I am a new member to the forum, with a bad habit!

Unfortunately I can not see the ashtray at night as there doesn't appear to be a bulb to light the ashtray when it's open and the lights are on.

Any suggestions

Ken
20th December 2006, 13:01
You know the obvious one but as a smoker I won't say it :lol: Although I am a smoker I don't smoke in the car so not sure how to get around it if indeed there is a way around it :(

Ken

GreyGhost
20th December 2006, 13:04
Perhaps leaving the cigar lighter open will light your way, can't think of anything else, apart from the bleedin obvious. :D

mykl
20th December 2006, 13:55
Hi all,

I am a new member to the forum, with a bad habit!

Unfortunately I can not see the ashtray at night as there doesn't appear to be a bulb to light the ashtray when it's open and the lights are on.

Any suggestions

:D Could try a miners lamp strapped to your head.

baxlin
20th December 2006, 14:08
:D Could try a miners lamp strapped to your head.

Additional benefit - tuck your mobile phone in it and you have instant hands free!

Dragon
20th December 2006, 14:53
My favourite is the Miners light, should I use Xenon or normal bulbs do you think?? LOL
I guess the option is either more carrots or stop smoking in the car.
Thanks anyway

mykl
20th December 2006, 14:53
Additional benefit - tuck your mobile phone in it and you have instant hands free!

:laughing2: :laughing2:

We are not helping are we !!

shifter
20th December 2006, 15:15
You could get some of these blue carlos fandango stick on led's for the boy racers>.
My Ztt rear view internal mirror always vibrated so i bought, from halfords, a much wider one which strapped over the original one-thing is, it came with 4 battery powered down facing blue led lights-It not only lights the ashtray but gives a warm blue glow to the gearlever area-BMW and AUDIs have had these on them std for some time.....

pondweed
20th December 2006, 15:16
neon rope - a thinnish elastic one that you can connect to 12V.. two pieces one from each side of the ashtray....to each side of the steering wheel.
will give you the equivalent of landing lights even when manouvering (but dont expect to remove ash on roundabouts though)

seriously though, there must be some sort of luminous strips you could stick there?

baxlin
20th December 2006, 15:23
:laughing2: :laughing2:

We are not helping are we !!

OK, joking over, and to try and be helpful, (after all I did used to be a smoker myself) could you use one of those small mapreading lights on a swan neck that plug into the cigarette lighter? I had one with a white light one side and an amber one the other, it would have matched the instrument lighting on my 75.

mykl
20th December 2006, 15:33
OK, joking over, and to try and be helpful, (after all I did used to be a smoker myself) could you use one of those small mapreading lights on a swan neck that plug into the cigarette lighter? I had one with a white light one side and an amber one the other, it would have matched the instrument lighting on my 75.

:biggrinsanta: Yeh and the mobile phone would also fit better omni-directional !!

direstraits
20th December 2006, 20:40
wasn't that line used for an AA advert many years ago when the kid had buried the car keys and the tide was coming in. Don't you just luv them to bits! Car keys I mean.

Dragrad
5th January 2008, 02:10
You know the obvious one but as a smoker I won't say it :lol: Although I am a smoker I don't smoke in the car so not sure how to get around it if indeed there is a way around it :( Ken

It's easy, get wind deflectors and open the window a mite in all weathers. Stubs are bio-degradable? Right???

A smoker myself :)

baxlin
5th January 2008, 09:09
It's easy, get wind deflectors and open the window a mite in all weathers. Stubs are bio-degradable? Right???

Now officially classed as litter, thankfully.

And as a cyclist and motorcyclist I would ask, PLEASE don't throw ash or cigarette ends out of the car window. Ever.

Rant over, until the next time one hits me in the face...............

JohnDotCom
5th January 2008, 09:44
Won't be a Problem soon, With Government Saying they are Making Smoking by any driver Illegal.

Oh, by the way it is called an Oddment Bin in some New Car descriptions not Ashtray!! :getmecoat:

Jürgen
5th January 2008, 15:20

"Why are there no lights for the ashtray?"

Well, Barry, this question has been asked at the first big international meet of the Club Seventyfive (http://clubseventyfive.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=7) in Luxembourg in 2003. And as far as I remember the official answer from an official representative of MG Rover UK has been ...

"It's not supposed to be an ash tray, it's to keep the key of your home. You shouldn't smoke in your 75, as smoking isn't really healthy at all." :D

davediamond
5th January 2008, 17:46
I find that the passenger side courtesy light does a very good job of lighting the ashtray/keyholder/cubby whatsit.

Rergards

Dave

steve00117
5th January 2008, 23:08
Hi all, without going outside to look (cos its dark)! does anyone know how to replace the ashtray bulb? Dont think it has ever worked on my car come to think of it!

JohnDotCom
5th January 2008, 23:12
There is a Whole thread Running on this at moment,
Basically it Doesn't have a light in it.
MGR I have been told call it a Oddment tray!! :D

Found It:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1674

steve00117
5th January 2008, 23:21
"

"[I]It's not supposed to be an ash tray, it's to keep the key of your home. You shouldn't smoke in your 75, as smoking isn't really healthy at all." :D

So why do they fit a cigar lighter??? :shrug:

steve00117
5th January 2008, 23:22
There is a Whole thread Running on this at moment,
Basically it Doesn't have a light in it.
MGR I have been told call it a Oddment tray!! :D

Thanks JDC, strange not to have one fitted!

JohnDotCom
5th January 2008, 23:27
So why do they fit a cigar lighter??? :shrug:

So you have a socket to plug all your goodies In. :D:D

JohnDotCom
5th January 2008, 23:31
Threads Merged as same Question really. :D

baxlin
6th January 2008, 08:39
So you have a socket to plug all your goodies In. :D:D

Not according to the handbook.................................

JohnDotCom
6th January 2008, 09:08
Not according to the handbook.................................

Malcolm, What are you doing reading the handbook? :D:D