PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fumes

Paul M
7th December 2006, 15:07
I have begun to notice quite a strong smell of diesel fumes entering the cabin of my 03 ZTT as i spend upwards of 4 hours or more a day in the car i am obviously quite concerned

can anyone advise on what may be causing this
some additional info which may assist

11K since last Major service
ECU been remapped by chip tuning

Many thanks in advance

Simon
7th December 2006, 21:34
Hi Paul and welcome to the forums and club!

As a petrol engine owner I can't give a lot of advice on the source of the fumes but a few things worth looking at are the fuel lines themselves (ie, are any of them looking worn at all?)

Could your tuning set up be malfunctioning somehow and providing the engine with too much fuel? Any unburnt fuel could then be lingering in the exhaust fumes and this is what you could be smelling?

Hopefully a CDT-minded person can help you out in more detail... :lol:

Paranoid Carlos
8th December 2006, 08:19
My CDT has always done this unfortunately, know of a least 2 others that smell of burnt diesel fumes when sitting in traffic with the windows slightly open.

I know another that doesn't smell at all:mad: , Is there a stain on the bumper around the exhaust? I am sure the problem is down to exhaust design, the exhaust fumes come out the exhuast bounce off the floor and get trapped behind the bumper, air flow then sends them up around the sides of the car. I noticed when I had a problem with smoke earlier this year I was able to see the flow around the car when sitting still (cough), I intend to modify something when I require a new exhaust.

Roverron
8th December 2006, 15:19
Mine used to do the same - smell when the windows were open an inch of two.
However I've not noticed it for a few months.
Even recently, with no cat and hence a somewhat smellier exhaust!

Ron

Paranoid Carlos
8th December 2006, 17:33
Isn't your exhaust past the bumper now?

Roverron
8th December 2006, 18:31
Isn't your exhaust past the bumper now?

It sticks out from below, but not actually beyond the bumper's most rearward point.

Ron