PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake is useless

littlened
12th February 2013, 20:28
I have to really yank the handbrake on for it to do anything.

Recently fitted new discs, pads, shoes and compensator.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

carlpenn
12th February 2013, 20:30
Did you use Arctics Modified Compensator?

Cables could be stretched at worst (If Modified fitted) or just not adjusted Handbrake properly :shrug:

suzublu
12th February 2013, 20:32

How many times have i told you,if you need help,let me know!:shrug::getmecoat:

HarryM1BYT
12th February 2013, 20:34

How many clicks, to fully apply the handbrake?

littlened
12th February 2013, 20:35
How many times have i told you,if you need help,let me know!:shrug::getmecoat:

I can fix most problems myself once I know what the cause is, sometimes it's just getting to the bottom of the problem.

littlened
12th February 2013, 20:36
How many clicks, to fully apply the handbrake?

After three click it feels like its applied, but its not. After 7 clicks its better, but not good enough to hold the car on a hill.

I fitted a modified compensator too.

suzublu
12th February 2013, 20:37
I can fix most problems myself once I know what the cause is, sometimes it's just getting to the bottom of the problem.
Best of luck then :shrug::getmecoat:

littlened
12th February 2013, 20:44
Best of luck then :shrug::getmecoat:

I don't wish to come across as rude or ungrateful, so sorry if that's how it sounds.

I enjoy fixing my own problems and get a huge sense of achievement from it, but sometime you just need help from others to diagnose the problem.

MrDoodles
12th February 2013, 20:45
How far down the thread is the nut on the adjuster at the handbrake end? :shrug:

suzublu
12th February 2013, 20:49
I don't wish to come across as rude or ungrateful, so sorry if that's how it sounds.

I enjoy fixing my own problems and get a huge sense of achievement from it, but sometime you just need help from others to diagnose the problem.
Sometimes it's easier to show you the solution,rather than do it in words on a screen.Certainly not going to do it for you,just point at things & say "Do that":cool:

littlened
12th February 2013, 20:50
It's about 3-4 cm.

I need to adjust the shoes a little more to get that to about 2cm

MrDoodles
12th February 2013, 20:53
It's about 3-4 cm.

I need to adjust the shoes a little more to get that to about 2cm

I doubt that it's 3-4 cm down as the thread isn't that long! :(

Do you mean 3-4 mm? :shrug:

HarryM1BYT
12th February 2013, 21:00
After three click it feels like its applied, but its not. After 7 clicks its better, but not good enough to hold the car on a hill.

I fitted a modified compensator too.

It certainly should not need 7 clicks and you are loosing out on your arms leverage when it is that high. If it seems hard to pull beyond 3 clicks, something might be binding, maybe the cables rusted(?)

Read up on my how to set the handbrake properly and it should be working fully at 2 or 3 clicks, assuming no other problems.

littlened
12th February 2013, 21:02
I doubt that it's 3-4 cm down as the thread isn't that long! :(

Do you mean 3-4 mm? :shrug:

Having looked at a ruler, it might be 2cm down

pab
12th February 2013, 21:04
Take up the adjustment in the Drums, adjust till they both bite and then slacken off a notch until they both run freely. In this state they are considered balanced.

Absolutely no point in fitting a compensator if the brake shoes are not balanced and adjusted correctly. The nut on the cable should be no further down than 25mm at the handbrake lever adjustment.

MrDoodles
12th February 2013, 21:05
Having looked at a ruler, it might be 2cm down

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to stop guessing and measure it properly! :(

If you have fitted a modified compensator, then you need to have 25 mm of thread showing out of the top of the nyloc nut! ;)

You may find this Link useful! :)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=95998

suzublu
12th February 2013, 21:13
Sorry to be blunt, but you need to stop guessing and measure it properly! :(

If you have fitted a modified compensator, then you need to have 25 mm of thread showing out of the top of the nyloc nut! ;)

You may find this Link useful! :)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=95998
Mark,he's been told,he's been shown threads,he's broken bleed nipples,he's asked & better asked,:shrug::getmecoat:

pab
12th February 2013, 21:16
Mark,he's been told,he's been shown threads,he's broken bleed nipples,he's asked & better asked,:shrug::getmecoat: I'm beginning to share your feelings on the subject too.

The search facility will bring absolutely loads of information on this subject, perhaps search first and ask later.

littlened
12th February 2013, 21:23
Mark,he's been told,he's been shown threads,he's broken bleed nipples,he's asked & better asked,:shrug::getmecoat:

I don't really get this comment.

I've adjusted the shoes until the rear wheels were almost locked on, I've fitted a new compensator, and I've adjusted the handbrake itself. The handbrake is still terrible.

What's the point in a message board if you're not allowed to ask for help?

littlened
12th February 2013, 21:27
The handbrake is adjusted to 27mm, I've just been out and measured it.

I also counted the click for the handbrake to be completely on, but still not good enough to hold the car on a hill, and it was 6 clicks.

suzublu
12th February 2013, 21:31
Help has been given,advice has been given,if you can't follow all the help & advice,what more can anyone do:shrug:Like you say,you like doing it yourself,knock yourself out mate:shrug:

pab
12th February 2013, 21:31
The handbrake is adjusted to 27mm, I've just been out and measured it.

I also counted the click for the handbrake to be completely on, but still not good enough to hold the car on a hill, and it was 6 clicks.Adjust the Shoes in the Drum..It's the only way your going to get the handbrake to perform correctly. I look forward to your findings. ;)

littlened
12th February 2013, 21:34
Help has been given,advice has been given,if you can't follow all the help & advice,what more can anyone do:shrug:Like you say,you like doing it yourself,knock yourself out mate:shrug:

Wait a minute, at what point have I not followed up the advice I've been given?

RPWC
12th February 2013, 21:35
Ok start again from scratch, slacken the handbrake nut right off,adjust the handbrake at the wheels until there is a slight resistance,tighten the nut until the is 25-27 mm above it. Then try the handbrake if it is still naff then sounds like the cables have stretched only solution then would be to fit news ones.

littlened
12th February 2013, 21:35
Adjust the Shoes in the Drum..It's the only way your going to get the handbrake to perform correctly. I look forward to your findings. ;)

Thanks, I'll give the drum adjustment another go when I get some time.

littlened
12th February 2013, 21:36
Ok start again from scratch, slacken the handbrake nut right off,adjust the handbrake at the wheels until there is a slight resistance,tighten the nut until the is 25-27 mm above it. Then try the handbrake if it is still naff then sounds like the cables have stretched only solution then would be to fit news ones.

Very helpful, thank you.

carpy
12th February 2013, 21:38
is he taking the handbrake off before he sets the shoes in the drum

:getmecoat:

littlened
12th February 2013, 21:38
is he taking the handbrake off before he sets the shoes in the drum

ha ha ha, yes, I definitely took the handbrake off.

carpy
12th February 2013, 21:40
didnt mean to sound silly or sarky err cos i done it :o
then realised what i had done

carlpenn
12th February 2013, 21:42
didnt mean to sound silly or sarky err cos i done it :o
then realised what i had done

So did I the first time lol

suzublu
12th February 2013, 21:48
Wait a minute, at what point have I not followed up the advice I've been given?
Told ages ago :shrug:http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=136081&page=3

Number 6
12th February 2013, 22:26
I have the same problem,I have fitted new H/B shoes.I have a modified compensator(Thanks to Artic) I have adjusted as per all the links and to be honest the H/B is not that good.People on here say that they can lock the rear wheels while on the move.I certainly cant.I have allowed time for the shoes to bed in and re-adjusted the H/B 3 times and it is still not "good".
I dont know if it is the shoes that are no good as they dont seem to have any "bite" to them :shrug:

catmandu
13th February 2013, 13:20
You are working on the wrong end of the brake, you need to adjust the handbrake shoes before adjusting the lever. I believe there is a Howto already posted on the correct way to do this, if you cannot find it let us know and I will go through it with you.

Eric

RPWC
13th February 2013, 13:29
I have the same problem,I have fitted new H/B shoes.I have a modified compensator(Thanks to Artic) I have adjusted as per all the links and to be honest the H/B is not that good.People on here say that they can lock the rear wheels while on the move.I certainly cant.I have allowed time for the shoes to bed in and re-adjusted the H/B 3 times and it is still not "good".
I dont know if it is the shoes that are no good as they dont seem to have any "bite" to them :shrug:
Start from scratch,slacken h/brake nut right off, adjust at the hub until the hub cannot be moved by hand,then slacken off until it is just moveable with pressure. Then put the wheel on,do the same on the other side,then tighten the handbrake nut to 25mm, pull the handbrake on 3-4 clicks,then go to the rear wheels and try to turn them with your hands, if there is even slight movement,then the hubs need adjusting further, so slacken nut off ,adjust hubs a couple of more clicks until you can just turn the hub with your hands, I mean by this,that you have to use a bit of force to get them to turn. Re tighten the handbrake cable nut,and adjust, if after setting the distance to 25 mm,the cable is too tight,ie the wheels will not turn with brake off,slacken adjuster nut back to 20mm and re try.
It is always best to test the adjustment at the hub with the wheel on,as it can seem like the hub is adjusted fully by turning by hand ,when in fact with the wheel on the resistance is not as great.I discovered this by trial and error,after fitting a modded compensator,my handbrake was naff too, did the above and now it holds mostly on 3/4 .occasionally on really steep hills 5.

Number 6
13th February 2013, 14:34

NOTE:- When I said "adjusted the H/B" I DID mean the "shoes" and I have followed EXACTLY the Excellent How To from start to finish,but the Hand Brake is still very ineffective:shrug:

David Lawrence
13th February 2013, 16:10
Very helpful, thank you.

2 things i noticed when i recently had my handbrake suddenly shift from locking on 3 clicks to locking on 4 to 5 clicks were:

1. The handbrake expander inside the drum (The part the cable connects to) was very rusty. It moved ok a short distance, but wouldnt move its full travel so while the shoes were adjusted quite tight you didnt notice a problem, but it added to the force needed once they loosened off a bit.
2. The shoe retaining pins pulled through the backplate, so the shoes were free to move around more than they should be which probably resulted in a load of rust getting freed up from the drum, which in this wet weather would make a nice slippy mess for the shoes to try and grip through.

I'd suggest taking the drum off again and checking those points.