PDA

View Full Version : Cheap mod/temporary repair

markyp
13th February 2013, 03:26
Driving my car to work yesterday it developed a loud hissing noise when the engine was under load and was slow to accelerate.
It still drove fine with no engine management lights etc.....:)

So i started looking for Boost leaks in the turbo hoses and found that the top intercooler hose had a 1" split in it.
I gave the outside of the hose a clean with washing up liquid and dried it thoroughly before wrapping the the full length in Gaffa tape...about 10 times.

Refitted the hose and took the car for a spirited drive...:) No more leaks.
And an added bonus is that the car really does appear to accelerate better than it ever has. Still boosting at 21 psi but a noticeable reduction in turbo lag.

I will be buying another hose ASAP, as the old must have been inflating for quite some time before finally splitting.

Off to the scrappy latter today to see what i can find......:)

Mark2000cc
13th February 2013, 05:01
I did exactly the same thing mate, but after a little while it turns the adhesive of the gaffa tape into a gooie slimy mess and it loses all stickiness and fails rapidly. Ok until a new pipe is fitted like you say :-)

markyp
14th February 2013, 14:51
Found a top boost hose and eventually a non leaking clutch master cylinder at the scrappy yesterday for the grand total of £17..:)
Of the five 75/ZT's in the yard only one had a dry looking master cylinder. None of the car's had been accident damaged so they must of all been beyond economical repair.:shrug:.

Fitted the hose and master cylinder today and so far so good...
It's got to make a 800 miles round trip this weekend so fingers crossed.:driving:

markyp
17th February 2013, 16:04
Got back from our trip to Devon this morning and the car performed faultlessly :).
It's been the first long run in the car with a fully working inline thermostat...and what a difference in fuel consumption. We drove 600 miles on one tank and that was not hanging around or just motorway driving..
The fuel light was on for the last ten miles before refilling.....Not something i normally do.:o

crofts
18th February 2013, 05:27
Got back from our trip to Devon this morning and the car performed faultlessly :).
It's been the first long run in the car with a fully working inline thermostat...and what a difference in fuel consumption. We drove 600 miles on one tank and that was not hanging around or just motorway driving..
The fuel light was on for the last ten miles before refilling.....Not something i normally do.:o

Me also. Only ran down to the light once (ALWAYS above quarter tank before this) Checked the In Tank pump and it was U/S
Thought low fuel had caused, it until pointed out the pump could have failed long before. Car had only done about 40,000 miles.
The Under Bonnet pump failed fairly soon after
Remember the car will run O.K. just with U/B pump.........usually provided there is more than a quarter tank of fuel.