PDA

View Full Version : 75CDTCLUBSE....very slight flicker of dash lights on tickover

podge
6th January 2008, 20:10
I have noticed that sometimes, usually in the mornings when cold(5a.m!) but engine fully warmed up and after 35 miles and sidelights on, a/c off in economy mode,fan very low speed,that the dashboard instrument background illumination appears to have a very slight flicker in time with tickover, could it be sign of an impending alternator/battery problem...yet after 45 minute run surely time enouth to recharge? It only seems to happen when fairly cold, i.e.2 degC,would have thought that at 38,000miles that alternator just run in, but battery at 6years old if lots of stop/starts in the past a possible problem? a lot easier to change than alternator, but if latter is going unserviceable I would be quite happy to change it.As I say the flicker/pulsing is VERY feint but there,apolougies for going on for a bit.

Kandyman
6th January 2008, 20:16
Hi poge,

If you have a auto electrical shop near you pop in there and get a free health check on battery and alternator.
At 6 years old i would look at changing the battery anyway.

ragitty
6th January 2008, 20:16
Hi Podge, I think you are in the right area, i.e Battery or Alternator, my advice for what it is worth is firstly get the garage to test the battery and alternator. It may cost a few pounds but at least you will know what to do, especially as winter is enroute, you don't want to be caught out.

Keith
7th January 2008, 18:00
At tickover especially if yours is slighly lower than normal say 760 rpm that is right on the boderline and you may notice this behaviour.
you may even notice when driving normally that the headlights seem to dim for a split second that is the rad fan kicking in!

Check everything connection wise is tight and the main earth to the gearbox is good try putting a DVM between battery and engine to make sure you don't have any volt drop under load

Otherwise unless it really bothers you I would not worry about it