PDA

View Full Version : My lever is a bit stiff... oo-err Missus

hogweed
14th February 2013, 11:29
I recently had a new clutch, master & slave cylinders, and all is well, except… when the car’s cold, it’s a (I've tried to type every inoffensive but critical word I can think of in here, but it won't let me) to get into first when you’re starting off. After you've been going a while, as is well, and everything else is absolutely fine.

Does this mean he hasn’t bled it properly, or might there be another cause?

Is there any adjustment anywhere?

Should I be concerned about it?

suffolk boy
14th February 2013, 12:06
as far as i am aware there is no adjustment.might just be a badly routed cable.the other horrid thought is they may have fitted the wrong one.i if was you i would take it back or have a word with andy willi who would be able to advise

hogweed
14th February 2013, 12:17
as far as i am aware there is no adjustment.might just be a badly routed cable.the other horrid thought is they may have fitted the wrong one.i if was you i would take it back or have a word with andy willi who would be able to advise

Errr... cable?

suffolk boy
14th February 2013, 12:40
for the gear change

hogweed
14th February 2013, 12:45
for the gear change

Ah, OK thanks - didn't know it had a cable. I thought you meant the clutch ;)

suffolk boy
14th February 2013, 12:47
has x 2 i think you can see them on top of the gearbox

T-Cut
14th February 2013, 13:12
Rimmer drawing: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemImages/Large/GRID001969.gif

TC

hogweed
14th February 2013, 13:17
Thanks TC, that’s very helpful.

And it doesn’t look as though they’re adjustable, does it… so I wonder if the problem IS likely to be mis-routing or the wrong cables, as already suggested :(

Dave Goody
14th February 2013, 13:31
Does yours stay stiff? On very cold mornings mines a bit stiff for the 1st mile until the g/box oil warms up.
oops just fully read your post! Sounds like mine, also has a new clutch and master/slave. It was the same before and after and I have had it 7 years so maybe all is well?

hogweed
14th February 2013, 13:34
Does yours stay stiff? On very cold mornings mines a bit stiff for the 1st mile until the g/box oil warms up.

Yeah, seems to get better after a couple of miles...

MrDoodles
14th February 2013, 13:59
What mileage has the car done and when was the gearbox oil last changed? :shrug:

carguy143
14th February 2013, 17:01
My 190 had the same problem. First was always a pain to engage. I had the gear box oil change done and it's been great since. My mechanic said the old oil appeared to be the wrong grade as it was a lot thicker than the stuff I told him to use. I should add that the old gearbox oil in mine was originally added in 2011 with a clutch change and was swapped out by my mechanic in 2012 so it certainly wasn't age related.

hogweed
14th February 2013, 17:13
My 190 had the same problem. First was always a pain to engage. I had the gear box oil change done and it's been great since. My mechanic said the old oil appeared to be the wrong grade as it was a lot thicker than the stuff I told him to use. I should add that the old gearbox oil in mine was originally added in 2011 with a clutch change and was swapped out by my mechanic in 2012 so it certainly wasn't age related.

Yeah... thing is, it was perfect until I had a new clutch fitted, so I'm ASSUMING it was something to do with that...

carguy143
14th February 2013, 17:23
Yeah... thing is, it was perfect until I had a new clutch fitted, so I'm ASSUMING it was something to do with that...

Isn't some gearbox oil removed when they carry out a clutch change? It could be they refilled it with the wrong grade.

FrenchMike
14th February 2013, 17:25

Hi,

As a clutch repair implies a gear oil bleeding,may be a wrong oil has been refilled ?
It' s MT94 if i remember well...

Mike