PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Sticks When Closed

Speedingorange
14th February 2013, 14:49
Hi all,

First post here after I recently managed to end up with both a 2004 Rover 75 Estate (2.0 Diesel) and a 2003 MG ZT+ 2.0 Diesel in the house.

Had a few niggles on both already but nothing you don't expect from a 10 year old car.

So far something I want some advice on is a stuck bonnet.

Now, I have managed to get the bonnet open using some contortionist skills from my days of owning minis. The catch operates fine so long as the bonnet is not closed, both retaining locks seem to operate fairly smoothly, if a little gritty. However as soon as the bonnet is closed, I guess there is too much pressure on the catches and the cable jumps off the clip by the kickplate if you try to open it (overcome by pulling the cable with pliers).

Is there a known fix to this issue? I have already cleaned the cable shuttle box inside the wing, and put a cable tie around the single cable to ensure it does not jump inside the shuttle box (the box is already a little distorted).

Just don't want to end up getting stuck out the bonnet. And certainly don't want to have to do the contortionist thing too often.

Many Thanks!
James

COLVERT
14th February 2013, 17:31
Maybe somebody has screwed the bonnet stops out a fraction too far so increasing the friction at the clips. Try screwing them in just a fraction to relieve the pressure.

Make sure too that ALL the moving parts are well oiled or greased. ( Including the two pins attached to the bonnet itself.)

Colvert. ;)

James.uk
14th February 2013, 17:42
As Colvey said, grease up the pins in the bonnet and make sure that the collars slide up freely and get pushed down again by the springs.. :}

If those spring don't move the collars then no matter what you with the pull lever, the pins will stay in the holes instead of popping out.. :o

ProfDave
14th February 2013, 17:53
when I got mine it was really stiff (!!) and the opener was floppy inside. I doused the mechanism and in particular the small junction box to the lh of the bonnet bay in 3 in one penetrating lube and then white grease

Also did the same to the two catches on the slam panel

now perfect ; do it soon before your bonnet jams

Speedingorange
14th February 2013, 19:15
Thank you for all the responses, I have purchased a can of white spray grease. this weekend I may drop the front bumper off of both the cars and grease the bajeesus out of both of them to ensure they are in good order.

SO basically... so summarise.... I need to clean the bonnet pins, and clean and then grease the bonnet clamps / clips. Is it possible to remove both of these without taking the front bumper off?

COLVERT
14th February 2013, 19:41
Thank you for all the responses, I have purchased a can of white spray grease. this weekend I may drop the front bumper off of both the cars and grease the bajeesus out of both of them to ensure they are in good order.

SO basically... so summarise.... I need to clean the bonnet pins, and clean and then grease the bonnet clamps / clips. Is it possible to remove both of these without taking the front bumper off?

You can grease all the moving parts without going to the trouble of bumper removal. :cool:

Colvert. :D

freddie
14th February 2013, 20:07
How to here.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=793983&postcount=4

grumpyshouse
14th February 2013, 21:28
also worth checking that the (8mm?) bolts that hold the receivers on the slam panel are not toooo tight, compressing the sliding mechanism slightly. (innit wyn ;) )

James.uk
14th February 2013, 23:15
Oh and slacken off the small bolts that hold the twin lock mechanisms, they need to be able to move slightly. :}

Speedingorange
15th February 2013, 08:37
Thanks for all the awesome information. I will be greasing the living daylights out of both cars tomorrow!

Speedingorange
25th February 2013, 14:27
Thanks for all the help on this,

I ended up taking the front off the car anyhow to dry out a steamed up headlamp. The old bonnet catches were FULL of rust. Gave them a good clean out the cables were surprisingly clean and in good order. Greased them back up and the clip in the footwell still popped off, even with these now very easy to move.

I ended up putting a retaining cable tie around the slot on the kick plate bracket. Good as gold now.

Thanks again!

crofts
26th February 2013, 03:10
Thanks for all the awesome information. I will be greasing the living daylights out of both cars tomorrow!

If you have checked all is correct in the splitter box on the R/H inner wing (next to washer bottle cap) and run lubricant down the cables from there, go to bonnet catches, clean up and re-grease then make sure the 2 bolts for each one are not tightened, even just slightly backing them off. Then as Jules says, with your spray grease make sure the exposed cables (wires) get a coating. Being exposed at the front makes them prone to rust and breaking.