PDA

View Full Version : V6 2.0 warm starting

rubythursday
14th February 2013, 17:49
Hi
A problem has just manifested itself, drove about 3/4mile from a cold start. Stopped the car went shopping, came back it wouldn't start. left it an hour and it went straight away. I'm guessing its the cam sensor? Where do I get one as Euro carparts only list a crank sensor.

Usually I get into the car Drive 12 miles to work, leave it all day and drive 12 back so the problem has not had the opportunity to show itself before.

Any suggestions welcome!

Tony

MangoMan
14th February 2013, 18:18
Items 7 (Both Parts, Sensor & Link). http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001630

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h455/Rover-75-Club/Misc/f5306f72.jpg

pab
14th February 2013, 18:24
A Camshaft position sensor could be the problem. Warm the engine, try and restart, if it fails remove the item and place in the refrigerator for twenty minutes. Refit the item and see if the engine will restart. They are a rather expensive item, perhaps source a second hand known good one.

MangoMan
14th February 2013, 18:36
Also if you can get a working S/H one, (one-piece) they are all the same for the 1400, 1600, 1800 & V6 Engines. In other words, Rover 200, 400, 25, 45, ZR, ZS & ZT.

pab
14th February 2013, 18:40
Also if you can get a working S/H one, they are all the same for the 1400, 1600, 1800 & V6 Engines. In other words, Rover 200, 400, 25, 45, ZR, ZS & ZT.Depends on the Fly Lead and connection Bill..

MangoMan
14th February 2013, 18:46
I'm referring to the 'one-piece' type - I've had a Rover 25 in mine for nearly 2 years now!

pab
14th February 2013, 18:48
I'm referring to the 'one-piece' type - I've had a Rover 25 in mine for nearly 2 years now!What happened to the item that I sent you down around the same time then?

MangoMan
14th February 2013, 18:50
What, the Sensor on it's own? That didn't work..... If I remember correctly.

This one? http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h455/Rover-75-Club/Misc/51bd1e29.jpg

pab
14th February 2013, 18:58
Like I say different leads, they do differ from car to car and this item was the same era as yours.

rubythursday
14th February 2013, 19:27
Since I got home it has start first time every time, now do I take a chance and change the sensor? My wife says get rid!

pab
14th February 2013, 19:46
Since I got home it has start first time every time, now do I take a chance and change the sensor? My wife says get rid!I hope not to get rid of the car for such a simple issue.

You have a couple of choices here. Remove the sensor and clean it, they are submerged in oil and become to resemble a caked on state.

Source a second hand sensor which is compatible with the car, or as a last resort purchase a new unit.

The problem like most things usually start as a intermittent fault before complete failure.

rubythursday
14th February 2013, 20:01
Think I might go for a new one. £20 for a second hand one and its an unknown quantity. Will faulty sensors show up on a scan?

pab
14th February 2013, 20:49
Think I might go for a new one. £20 for a second hand one and its an unknown quantity. Will faulty sensors show up on a scan? I don't have any at the moment, contact Trader seancar with which version you have..He will help.

rubythursday
14th February 2013, 20:52
Thanks
I'll look tomorrow in daylight as to the version.

SD1too
15th February 2013, 08:07
... drove about 3/4mile from a cold start. Stopped the car went shopping, came back it wouldn't start. left it an hour and it went straight away ... Since I got home it has start first time every time ...
Tony,

What happened might be a case of an excessively rich mixture. After such a short distance the engine would probably still be running with enrichment then, depending on how much it cooled whilst you were shopping, further enrichment might then have been applied. I must admit that I've never experienced this with a 75, but I have with other cars.

If I were you I would do nothing and see if it happens again.

Simon

rubythursday
15th February 2013, 16:48
I have experienced that before on other cars (Range Rover efi being one) but it didn't seem like that and it started up clean - no black smoke etc. I've ordered a new sensor from local factors, should get it tomorrow. I'll keep you all informed of progress! Haven't used it today, took the Disco, started first time this afternoon.

rubythursday
16th February 2013, 18:36
New cam sensor installed today, so far so good, cross everything!!

Canuto
4th May 2013, 13:05
Hi Tony

I have a similar, or the same, problem as you had. I am going to buy a cam sensor from Rimmer and try swapping it.
I just wondered, did everything turn out well after you changed the sensor? I know it's not that long time ago, but still. :)

Kind Regards
Knud