PDA

View Full Version : All lit up ... but wont go.

smabious
15th February 2013, 10:00
Oh yes, more car misery.

After a month of calamity (mostly garage related) I now have a new problem whereby my car would not start. Summary of what happended:

Unlocked car, got in started OK, drove 0.5mile to filling station, switched off filled up and locked car OK. Paid for fuel (obviously;-), unlocked car OK, put key in ignition all dashs lights OK turned key - nothing! Not even a click. Tried 3 times, got out locked car OK ....waited...unlocked car OK still would not start.

'Luckily' I was near a garage in Birmingham who managed to get it going by doing something near the back of the engine. Switched off engine tried to start in normal way still nothing. Garage bod did his thing again to get it running so I could drive it to his garage. Switched off, locked car, unlocked but this time it started OK!! They couldn't tell me what's going on with the car. With car running I quickly got in and drove my A*** back to Manchester.

Anyone had this before (Aargh!)?

Scott.

capese21
15th February 2013, 10:05
Sounds like a bad connection or loose cable on the starter motor or solenoid.

Use ramps or a lift and clean up the connections inspect the cables might be loose or corroded.

That is what I would do first.

Ed.

smabious
15th February 2013, 10:18
Sounds like a bad connection or loose cable on the starter motor or solenoid.

Use ramps or a lift and clean up the connections inspect the cables might be loose or corroded.

That is what I would do first.

Ed.

Cheers Ed - I'll take a look.

At first I thought it might the immobilizer/key fob (still using original battery), but as I can lock/unlock car I guess it can't be that.

mh007
15th February 2013, 10:31
I would suggest either solenoid contacts inside the starter motor (nice little job, repair kits available from ebay £12-£15) or the car battery itself.

Even with a low car battery, the car may still lock/unlock remotely but you usually get clicks & flashing headlights whilst trying to start.

Personally, I would opt for solenoid contacts.

Edit: Just realised that you have a 1.8 & I don't think the repair kit is available for that model.
(I would still say starter solenoid is at fault though)

T-Cut
15th February 2013, 11:53
They couldn't tell me what's going on with the car.

Another garage fodder ploy.
They managed to start it by 'doing something behind the engine' but couldn't say what. If you were to ask them what honesty and integrity means, I'm certain they also wouldn't be able to tell you.

TC

minty2
15th February 2013, 14:05
I had something similar on my CDTi which turned out to be a corroded spade clip on the starter solenoid. Once cleaned, the problem went away and has not returned so far. But it's a ****** to get to if you've got big mits!

Oh yes, more car misery.

After a month of calamity (mostly garage related) I now have a new problem whereby my car would not start. Summary of what happended:

Unlocked car, got in started OK, drove 0.5mile to filling station, switched off filled up and locked car OK. Paid for fuel (obviously;-), unlocked car OK, put key in ignition all dashs lights OK turned key - nothing! Not even a click. Tried 3 times, got out locked car OK ....waited...unlocked car OK still would not start.

'Luckily' I was near a garage in Birmingham who managed to get it going by doing something near the back of the engine. Switched off engine tried to start in normal way still nothing. Garage bod did his thing again to get it running so I could drive it to his garage. Switched off, locked car, unlocked but this time it started OK!! They couldn't tell me what's going on with the car. With car running I quickly got in and drove my A*** back to Manchester.

Scott.

smabious
15th February 2013, 19:32
Thanks all. It started OK today but I'm going to have a good look at cleaning up all starter solenoid connections tomorrow.

I know it's not likely to be related, but I've put a new battery in my key fog too - figured 9 years from the original battery is good going - now's the time to change it!

eigger
16th February 2013, 17:41
Same happened to me 2 weeks ago, even bought a Sol' repair kit.
BUT it turned out to be a faulty ignition switch.
You can test if its the Solenoid with ignition on, touch a cable from the P+ of the battery to the solenoid connection.. MAKE SURE ITS IN PARK!!!
An easy fix, I got one from eBay £10

chrissyboy
16th February 2013, 19:29
i agree with the thin spade on the starter solenoid being a loose or dirty connection

smabious
17th February 2013, 11:13
Same happened to me 2 weeks ago, even bought a Sol' repair kit.
BUT it turned out to be a faulty ignition switch.
You can test if its the Solenoid with ignition on, touch a cable from the P+ of the battery to the solenoid connection.. MAKE SURE ITS IN PARK!!!
An easy fix, I got one from eBay £10

I think this is what the guy from the garage must have done to start it originally. He was fiddling with his keys ...

I have cleanedup both connections - the capped nut connection (looked OK anyway) and the soleniod spade which isn't the best fitting connection I've seen. Although it clips on OK it feels 'loose' as you can waggle side 2 side.

Looks like I can't get Solenoid repair kits for the 1.8 version. On the Ignition switch, are these easy to replace anyway - I notice they are about £20 on ebay?

Scott.

Tatts
17th February 2013, 12:39
Oh yes, more car misery.

Scott.

When you turn the key, do the headlights flash? Could be a dying battery; with the cold weather we've had recently, if the battery isn't in good shape, it might not be supplying enough to start the engine. Flashing headlights when trying to crank the engine are a sign of this.

chrissyboy
17th February 2013, 13:41
I think this is what the guy from the garage must have done to start it originally. He was fiddling with his keys ...

I have cleanedup both connections - the capped nut connection (looked OK anyway) and the soleniod spade which isn't the best fitting connection I've seen. Although it clips on OK it feels 'loose' as you can waggle side 2 side.

Looks like I can't get Solenoid repair kits for the 1.8 version. On the Ignition switch, are these easy to replace anyway - I notice they are about £20 on ebay?

Scott.

there is your problem then it has to be really tight to top it arcing ,by moving it it will make it tighter ,crip it down so as to make it a tighter fit .

eigger
17th February 2013, 16:28
On the Ignition switch, are these easy to replace anyway - I notice they are about £20 on ebay?

Scott.

Easy to get to and easy to replace. Two screws to remove lower steering column cover, then two grub screws and clips to replace switch.

Mine had played up a couple of times previous to packing up completely.

I did put in a sepperate starter button until I got the replacement switch

crofts
18th February 2013, 05:07
Easy to get to and easy to replace. Two screws to remove lower steering column cover, then two grub screws and clips to replace switch.
Mine had played up a couple of times previous to packing up completely.
I did put in a sepperate starter button until I got the replacement switch

Assume a new switch comes with a new key blade, which I assume will not then fit any door locks so need 2 keys on key ring ?
Is remote locking unrelated to the ignition switch ?