PDA

View Full Version : plenum chamber

John Lindley
15th February 2013, 17:50
What is it? where is it?
My cars full of water drivers side front and rear footwells. Also in the boot, spare wheel well.

John:mad::confused::(

pab
15th February 2013, 17:57
The Plenum is the void between the engine compartment and the cabin. In this void there are two drain tubes which become blocked with debris, the result is a flooded ECU, on a diesel this is an expensive repair.

The rear light seals are another problem regarding water ingress. If your car has a sunroof, again these drains need to be cleared.

Use the forum search facility on the above and it will bring up loads of information on the subjects.

John Lindley
15th February 2013, 18:04
Hi thanks pab.
My car is a diesel :(
I have been looking at the forum, my car doesn't have a sunroof but has a swimming pool in the foot wells on the drivers side. I'm gutted....

John

carpy
15th February 2013, 18:11
try this link

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125864&highlight=PLENUM+drain

pab
15th February 2013, 18:18
Unfortunately John these carpets and the foam backing will retain gallons of water, literally. They need to be dried out, side impact sensors are located under the carpet next to the sills, corroded they will give issues.

The Plenum drains need cleared, there is loads of information on the Forum about them, but the severity of the issue, I will give you an easy method to get you by.

Raise the car and look along the bulk head for the two drain tubes, stick a screw driver up into them, this will release the water.

John Lindley
15th February 2013, 18:58
Thanks Barry for the link and Pab for the help. Guess I'm out there tomorrow ripping out the interior and getting the Plenum chambers unblocked.

John

John Lindley
16th February 2013, 12:02
Hello Guys

I have removed the scuttle pan and cleared out the drain tube in front of the pollen filter, I saw somewhere on here that there was another one near the servo?? is this correct??

When I get the car up and get underneath there are two rubber tubes come down and hang in plastic brackets on the floor pan. Where do these go to?? Am i right in thinking that the two drain holes just inside the wings either side drain under the inner wheel arch trim. I have rodded the n/s and I hear it scraping under the wing, the o/s one is plugged but I will remove plug and check it out as well...
Thanks
John

pab
16th February 2013, 12:15
John,

The other tube is under the Brake Servo on the opposite side, you need to access this from under the car..

John Lindley
16th February 2013, 12:20
ok Pab thanks. Any idea what the other two tubes under the car are for??

John

pab
16th February 2013, 12:35
ok Pab thanks. Any idea what the other two tubes under the car are for??

JohnThe two tubes which you can see under the car along the bulk head are the Plenum drain tubes, you have already cleared the one under the Pollen Filter. stick a probe into the other to clear it of debris.

The two outer tubes on top of the inner wing only drain into the wheel arch, they create no real problem, but keep them clear also.

John Lindley
16th February 2013, 12:44
Hmmmm.. when I look from above I can see the road beneath the car on the pollen filter side. These two underneath turn 90 degrees so cannot see anything through them. Time for the camera I think.

John

pab
16th February 2013, 12:52
I think this will be of interest to you. The Plenum Spyhole Modification. (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=64542)

John Lindley
16th February 2013, 13:04
Yes definitely... Where do you find the grommet for the 25mm hole?? Ebay??

carpy
16th February 2013, 13:15
try halfords for the 25mm gromet:) its where i got mine from

John Lindley
16th February 2013, 13:22
Cheers Barry. Right both of them are clear now. Pollen filter looks like the water has been about 5" deep in there so no surprise the cars full really. Next to strip out seats so I can remove carpet for drying. Still not sure what these other two drains are for. They come from either side of the bulkhead/froorpan. Right on the curve and clip back towards the rear of the car.

carpy
16th February 2013, 13:28
the other two pipes could be from the Air Con for condensation but not 100% sure, someone will be along and let you know , and tell me i am wrong:getmecoat:

John Lindley
16th February 2013, 13:29
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/thum_23401511f96e2805ab.jpg ('http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=15470')

Whats this for??

suzublu
16th February 2013, 13:45
the other two pipes could be from the Air Con for condensation but not 100% sure, someone will be along and let you know , and tell me i am wrong:getmecoat:
Correctamundo ;):}