PDA

View Full Version : My ZT wont start

ramshaun1961
16th February 2013, 11:19
Hi Guys, I,m in trouble!!! SO SOON! the 05 ZT 1.8 i picked up 2 weeks ago wont start :shrug: it turns over but wont start :cool: & now the battery is getting a bit low, also when i lifted the bonnet there was a faint whistling sound? the factory fitted radio seems to have a mind of its own too! loosing all the pre-sets overnight.
(thank god i have my trusty citroen c5 diesel with 165k on the clock to get me to scotland & back for work!!) :bowdown:
PLEASE HELP BOYS & GALS :D
ive bigged these cars up to her indoors :shrug: now she laughs :shrug:

pab
16th February 2013, 12:55
Don't rule out the possibility of a separated fuel filter, a common problem.

Use the search facility ''Fuel Filter Syndrome'' also ''Orange Clip''

ramshaun1961
16th February 2013, 13:44
okay bud, on to it :D thankyou for the advice ;)

jezcar
16th February 2013, 15:41
The faint whistling sound is standard on these it just everthing shutting down and stops after couple mins or so.
Jez

dissy1810
16th February 2013, 16:48
The faint whistling sound is standard on these it just everthing shutting down and stops after couple mins or so.
Jez

To be precise its the idle stepper motor on the throttle body you can hear

ramshaun1961
16th February 2013, 16:56
thankyou guys :bowdown:

1gp
16th February 2013, 17:03
i also wouldnt rule out a immobliser problem.. dont try and keep starting with a low battery , it can scramble the codes....

ramshaun1961
17th February 2013, 17:31
Hi Guys, quick update, called the rac out and he is convinced the head gasket is on its way out (& he loves mg/rover!) so i'm going to get prices for fix tommorow :shrug: anybody know anyone that does these please?
i can have it recovered to one address :bowdown:

SD1too
17th February 2013, 18:07
... called the rac out and he is convinced the head gasket is on its way out ...
Shaun,

Take that with a pinch of salt. He's probably heard that 1.8 75/ZTs are prone to it, so that has been his stock diagnosis. Do you have coolant loss, emulsified oil, overheating? If the answer is no, then forget HGF for now.

You need to follow Pab's advice and check for fuel pressure in the engine compartment. The fuel filter problem is very common, and easy to fix (search the forum for 'fabled orange clip').

Since your starter motor operates, it's unlikely to be the immobiliser. Charge your battery as soon as possible. If it's left in a discharged state for a long period, it won't recover.

Simon

ramshaun1961
17th February 2013, 18:41
defo coolant loss bud. :shrug:

SD1too
17th February 2013, 18:45
Do you have any 'mayonnaise' on the dipstick? Has the temperature gauge ever risen above 'normal'? Do you get clouds of white smoke from the exhaust?

Simon

ramshaun1961
17th February 2013, 22:10
no mayo, temp ok.... but a fair bit of white smoke bud.

SD1too
17th February 2013, 22:25
Regarding the non-starting, check for fuel pressure as described earlier.

Read about other members' experiences of coolant loss (overfilling, expansion tank caps, air locks, faulty fan motors, inlet manifold gaskets).

Simon

ramshaun1961
1st April 2013, 13:38
Hi Guys & Gals, i have now traded the zt in :( i found that i couldnt trust her so traded her in for a bmw 320d se touring! i do a 1000 miles per week somtimes, so i was hoping the zt would be a good back up! but it wasnt to be :(
so if anybody wants to buy a genuine boot mat £20
new wind/rain deflectors x 4 £15
haynes manual £10
pm me
oh & dont think you can get rid of me that easy! i will keep in touch! you are all to nice to leave in the back of my laptop :D :bowdown: